Thread: QR Reds sign London-based expat Mark McLinden

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

QR Reds sign London-based expat Mark McLinden

QR Reds sign London-based expat Mark McLinden

Friday, 15 August 2008

The QR Reds have replaced departed fullback Clinton Schifcofske with another highly experienced former Canberra Raiders back in Mark McLinden.

Schifcofske has taken up a lucrative contract in Ireland with Ulster, whereas McLinden, 29, has been given an early release from his UK rugby league club Harlequins to allow him to return to Australia.

QRU Performance Manager Ben Whitaker said when the Reds heard McLinden was heading home they jumped at the opportunity to sign him on a two year contract, describing him as an outstanding athlete and a seasoned and capable professional who will fill an important role in an exciting Reds squad.

McLinden played rugby at school in Canberra before embarking on a decorated seven year professional career with the Canberra Raiders, followed by four seasons with the London Broncos, now playing as the Harlequins.

Whitaker said when Schifcofske heard the Reds had signed McLinden he gave the decision an emphatic thumbs up.

"Clinton has travelled a similar path and his opinion is one we respect. He was adamant that Mark will be an absolute hit in the game.”

Schifcofske made a smooth transition from the 13-a-side game and was the complete professional in his two seasons with the Reds, something the Reds will also be looking for from McLinden.

"A player like Mark has that experience (and) is able to fit a certain hole in terms of our squad list," Whitaker said.

"He was the right person for that position that didn't exist off-contract at the moment in rugby in Australia."

Whitaker said the QR Reds were signing McLinden for the professional football experience he can bring to the team at this particular time, following the unexpected retirements of senior players David Croft and John Roe and the departures overseas of Chris Latham and Schifcofske.

"Mark's going to fill a real hole there for us in terms of experience, expertise, great football mind and also a little bit older. He'll be very good for us, we believe," said Whitaker.

Whitaker said McLinden had played mainly fullback for Harlequins after playing halfback and five-eighth for the Raiders in his 165 games there between 1998 and 2004.

"Positionally we've obviously got some ideas about him playing in the back three but there's no reason why he couldn't play elsewhere," Whitaker said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He has big shoes (Latham's) to fill.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Champion
    vCash
    I've got to say he wasn't a stand out at Canberra, Think it may be money not spent well (could be wrong)..

vCash
    he had all the promise in the world! he was a talented 5/8 but he went overseas really early in the piece, if this was five years ago it would be a good signing but the red just dont seem to get anyone young or in there prime these days!

barnes is going to have to carry alot of people next year!

vCash
    we're kidding ourselves if this guys gonna be good.

will choke in s14

play davies or toua at 15 instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    he had all the promise in the world! he was a talented 5/8 but he went overseas really early in the piece, if this was five years ago it would be a good signing but the red just dont seem to get anyone young or in there prime these days!

barnes is going to have to carry alot of people next year!
    Its not fair really - without him this year we would've been shat on. He's gonna carry the backline for a few years until Cooper finally plays well.

vCash
    i dont think this guy is going to be anything more then a utility back

I think a big part in signing him was to add some maturity and professionalism to the team, i belive he was captain of his super league side for a few years as well.

On the topic of this bloke, Eddie Jones has signed him to play with Saracens for a few months until December. Its great news for the Reds, this way Eddie can do the introduction to Union and hopefully have him fast tracked by the time he reaches QLD in Jan.

vCash
    All the same negatives were blurted about Shifcofske when he was signed to the Reds. Some people just love egg, I guess.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    True - Schif was pretty disappointing - but as TOCC said, this bloke will simply be some back up depth - not a bad thing.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken9 View Post
    Well, if the initial move, with an un-pronouncible name,(S-c-hi-f-c-??) had produced a winner for Ulster, I probably would have refrained from this response. My horrific lameness is a direct result of the Red Hand's start to this season.. for the love of all mankind, is a win out of the question?
    i have more trouble spelling it than saying it
    bastard of a name
    was a very good player at the raiders but i never really saw much of him playing super14

vCash
    Shif was a ok fill in player, was never exactly a stand out but he did pretty reasonable for a NRL player, players like Shif and McLinden do more then what is shown though, they bring experience and maturity to a youthful side.

What impact that has on the side cant be gauged by just a scoreline, and sometimes the effects arent immediate either, sometimes it can be 12 or even 24 months down the track. I believe Shif was a good player in terms of what he brought to the team, and whilst i dont know much about McLinden i belive he has the same attributes.

vCash
    He takes a good year to knock some of the League instincts out of a good player - look at Cross's transition - he got a lot of support from the team behind the scenes and the players as well - not sure that the Reds have enough talent to complete the transitions properly at the moment.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Yeah but the further out you get the easier it is TQ1. Are they looking at playing McLinden in the back three?

Let's face it, as a fullback, it's pretty much all open field running, one-on one (or one-on 5 if you're playing the Saffers) and catch-kick the systems being different won't affect that position as much as it would, say, a scrummie or a hooker!

The only difference is that now he has to do more than count to 5 before he decides whether to kick.

C'mon the

vCash
    well, im a little red-faced when i look back at my comments, whilst i should reserve my comments until the end of the S14, il admit so far that he has far exceeded my expectations of a 'utility back'.

Also the comment i made about Eddie Jones signing him to Saracens for a few months, i had my wires crossed and it was actually the reserve halfback for this weeks match Brendan Mckibbin.