Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who's fault is it?

vCash

Angry Who's fault is it?

Ok so many of you may have heard that the 3 men charged with asualting police officers, leaving one partially paralized.

Robert McLeod, 56, of Joondalup, who has been too ill to attend court this week, was found not guilty by the jury of assaulting Const. Butcher. He admitted punching the officer three times in the stomach but said he was acting in self defence as his son was being assaulted by Const. Butcher and Sgt Gary Blackwood.

Barry McLeod, 29, of Currambine, was found not guilty of a charge of assaulting Const. Butcher and endangering his life and not guilty of a lesser alternative charge of doing grievous bodily harm to Const. Butcher. Barry McLeod said he acted instinctively by charging at Const. Butcher after seeing him use a taser stun gun on his father who had a heart condition.

He was also found not guilty of assaulting Sgt Blackwood and of assaulting former police officer Samuel Maguire who resigned from the police service shortly after the incident.

Scott McLeod, 35, also of Currambine, was found not guilty on charges of threatening a police officer, assaulting another police officer and obstructing a third officer.

The only guilty verdict returned by the jury was on a charge against Scott McLeod of threatening to kill a patron of the Old Bailey Tavern who filmed the fracas on his mobile telephone. He will be back in court today to be sentenced on that charge.

The reason the jury decided to aquit. was not satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that the police officers who went to break up a brawl outside the Old Bailey Tavern in Joondalup in February last year were acting lawfully

okay what the hell! the fact that these people even touched a police office is grounds to find them guilty. This is what really grinds my gear, the lack of respect people especially in Perth have for the people who protect and serve. It makes me sick to think someone can be found guilty for manslaughter, in a one punch death - even when both parties are probably involved in a brawl. But when a police officer goes to brake up a fight and is seriously injured, possibly enough that he will never work again, thats okay, only because they believed they didn't act lawfully ... okay if I was a cop and I had 3 guys going at me of course I would pull out my taser, they are just lucky they wern't shot dead, however it may have prevented the injury recieved by const. butcher.

Then there are people blaming the venue for serving the alcohol ... okay alcohol doesn't punch people ... people punch people. I hate when people use the excuse oh I had too much to drink, If you cannot control your action when you drink don't drink! I know my limitation, its not too hard to work it out. lets just blame the venue how good is that? since when did we become a society who just passes the blame? not taking responsibility for there own actions? I have always taken resposibility for my actions, when I was done for drink driving, I didn't say to the cops oh it's not my fault I was just buying the beer with my money, it's the pubs fault... they served me... I just copped it sweet.

I just hate to think that I want to join the police force in a society that has no respect for what these people have to give up to protect and serve the community. And on top of that they don't get workers compensation, they just get a heap of sick leave. And they know going into the force they wont be looked after well if they have a work place accident which leaves them unable to work. Yet they still get up every day and go out serving the community.

And on top of that thugs are going to look at the result of this case, if they are even capable of comprehending things like news, and think hey its a free for all. I would not be suprised if there is a higher rate of assualts on police following this verdict.

I am so pissed off! baah!

Any ways thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Barry McLeod said he acted instinctively by charging at Const. Butcher after seeing him use a taser stun gun on his father who had a heart condition.

ok so now before all police attempt to taser a threat they will need to ask "Do you have a heart condition?"

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Lonzy,did you get to hear all the evidence?
    the jury did
    what you read in the newspaper is only selective pieces of evidence
    even the police have to within the law

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I think you will find he told the copper not to use the taser on his Dad as he had a heart condition, but he still used it which provoked the reaction, it may have had the same effect as a real gun...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    do you know he said that TiF ... I still think being aquitted on all charges is crap

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Lonzy,I don't know the true story, nor do I have any inside information. However I am sure the stuff that has been reported in the papers is not the whole story.

The reporting of the incident has been geared to generate a response, exactly the response you are demonstrating.

Because it has been a criminal trial by jury there are no reasons for decision given out upon which you or I can make an independent assessment. We simply were not there and have not heard the evidence, so how can our assessment be better than the jury's?

Give it time, on appeal the entire facts will be dispassionately and factually analysed and reported in the Appeal Court's written judgement.

And if there is no appeal the only logical conclusion can be that the jury's decision was the correct one in all the circumstances, despite all the bluster and faux outrage in the press.

The lynch mob mentality being whipped up by interest groups, the media and politicians of all persuasions does them no credit at all.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree

vCash
    there was video footage you cant really argue with the fact he asualted the police officer, he may have said his dad had a heart condition, however if his father was acting in an agressive manner towards the police officer he would still have used the taser. Thats what police officers are trained for.

I obviously don't have all the facts. But the fact remains this guy gets of scott free... how many of you can say thats fine?

Fare enough cops need to act with in the law, but when you are being atacked by 3 people your first reaction is the natural flight or fight, so thats what the cop did. Not to mention there were another 12 people involved ...

I don't believe everything I hear in the news but I believe what I see ie. the video footage and the after effects, I have the utmost respect for Karl O'Callahan and the WA police force so maybe I am slightly biased.

But if cops aren't themselves protected by the law, why should they protect us?

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    RIOT!!!!

Sorry...what my learned friend said, but following the Meekatharra incident a couple of years ago I can understand your reaction Lonz, the fine line betwean facts and truths...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    you have to put faith in the jury system, they sat through five weeeks of evidence.........we the public did not...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Im with FS on this one. Happy I wasn't there but it does seem believable to me that he said that and the copper ignored it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Did you guys see that video? The guy is an animal, he charged at the copper with his head! he could have just tackled him, fella should be in jail.

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Im with FS on this one. Happy I wasn't there but it does seem believable to me that he said that and the copper ignored it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    maybe he did ignore it .. it would not be in the training that police get

"...if you intend to taser a target and are told 'Stop I have a dicky heart' .. please stop all attempts to subdue the person(s)"

Yes I'll admit I am only going on what has been reported in the media, print and tv. But lets not forget that the jury aquitted because they couldn't find "beyond reasonable doubt" that doesn't mean they didn't act like a pack of wild dogs

vCash
    I'm stunned by some of your reactions to this.

This is too close to my heart to put down my true feelings.

Lonzy and action hardcore, well done, you clearly have the Police protection in your hearts and I praise you for it.

vCash
    absolute disgrace

Constable Butcher is paralysed on one half of his body after being attacked while trying to do his job?

I'm with you as well WRF, Police protection should be paramount. How can they be expected to their jobs knowing that the courts will not back them up, and that is an observation based on several decisions not just this one. Police arrest someone and they are back on the street within a few hours

It sounds like the ACTUAL headbutt to Constable Butcher was not disputed, but just dismissed as "the police provoked it"

Last edited by jargan83; 13-03-09 at 08:58.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast