Thread: Holmes hoping to inject added speed

vCash

Thumbs up Holmes hoping to inject added speed

Holmes hoping to inject added speed
    into Brumbies' back line

BY PETER FITZGERALD RUGBY UNION 12/03/2009 1:00:00 AM

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

New Brumbies starting scrumhalf Josh Holmes has backed he and flyhalf Christian Lealiifano to prove a winning combination when they link against the NSW Waratahs tomorrow night.
    Brumbies coach Andy Friend elevated Holmes into the starting XV yesterday for the all-Australian derby, at the expense of Patrick Phibbs.

Holmes is one of three new faces in the run-on team for the round-five Super14 clash at Canberra Stadium.

Tyrone Smith and Peter Kimlin will also start for the first time this season, at inside centre and blindside flanker respectively.

In positional changes Stirling Mortlock has, as expected, reverted back to his more favoured outside centre role, while Adam Ashley-Cooper will start on the wing.

Clyde Rathbone has been dropped to the bench, reserve hooker Huia Edmonds returns to the squad as Stephen Moore's back-up while second-rower Shawn Mackay is on standby for Sitaleki Timani.

Timani has struggled with a knee injury all week but trained with the team yesterday and is likely to be cleared to play.

While Timani's availability will provide late grunt up front tomorrow night, it's Friend's rearrangement of his back line that is set to prove the big winner for the Brumbies.

And Holmes knows he's a significant part of the plan to reinvigorate the team.

The 22-year-old has spent a frustrating month-long run on the bench to start the season, playing second-fiddle to Phibbs at No9.

Phibbs has proven to be a more physical scrumhalf with a better defensive record but Friend has this week opted for Holmes's speed and agility at the base of the ruck.

''Having Josh in there gives us the opportunity to get more ball out wide and that's the key,'' Friend said.

''He gives us some added speed and while Patrick has done very well with his running, his physicality and directing the forwards well, Josh's speedy ball delivery will be crucial for us.''

Holmes said he faced a ''big test'' against NSW but felt he deserved his chance in the starting XV.

The former Waratahs No9 admitted he would be playing to cement the starting position ahead of the Brumbies' three-week South African tour, which begins on Monday.

''Everyone wants to start but you can only play 15 at a time and it's a long season so you've got to be patient sometimes and wait your turn,'' Holmes said.

''With my game you're always looking for options for yourself but my first priority [tomorrow] night is to give the backs quick and clean ball.''

Holmes predicted he and halves partner Lealiifano would work successfully together and spark a reformed Brumbies back line.

''I've been working on my speed and I'm confident I'll be able to give Christian some good ball this week.''

The Brumbies trained at Marist College yesterday as part of Friend's plan to have the team more involved with the Canberra community.

They will have their captain's run at Canberra Stadium this morning before the annual State Of The Union lunch with the Waratahs.

BRUMBIES TEAM

1. Nic Henderson,
    2. Stephen Moore,
    3. Guy Shepherdson,
    4. Ben Hand,
    5. Mark Chisholm,
    6. Peter Kimlin,
    7. George Smith,
    8. Stephen Hoiles (c),

9. Joshua Holmes,
    10. Christian Lealiifano,
    11. Francis Fainifo,
    12. Tyrone Smith,
    13. Stirling Mortlock,
    14. Adam Ashley-Cooper,
    15. Mark Gerrard,

16. Huia Edmonds,
    17. Ben Alexander,
    18. Sitaleki Timani/Shawn Mackay,
    19. Julian Salvi,
    20. Patrick Phibbs,
    21. Matt Toomua,
    22. Clyde Rathbone.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 12-03-09 at 13:48.

Player
    vCash
    Good luck to Josh,he's a good up and coming young talent who will test the tahs defence especially if they give him half a gap .He's pretty quick of the mark and has a good pass.Only weakness might be his defence.

I'm sure Luke will be happy for his bro,as he knows what it is like to warm the bench.Its a shame Josh isnt over in Perth playing with his brother.

I think the brumbies could win this one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Good luck to Josh,he's a good up and coming young talent who will test the tahs defence especially if they give him half a gap .He's pretty quick of the mark and has a good pass.Only weakness might be his defence.

I'm sure Luke will be happy for his bro,as he knows what it is like to warm the bench.Its a shame Josh isnt over in Perth playing with his brother.

I think the brumbies could win this one.
    Yep.... I'm pleased to see I'm get a start.... He is only going to grow if he gets real game time... and those starting minutes give players the real feel for the flow and intensity of the S14 pro game...

Player
    vCash
    I forgot to mention that I think his biggest asset is his support play,I've seen him score a few tries,just by backing up and that comes from reading the play well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I forgot to mention that I think his biggest asset is his support play,I've seen him score a few tries,just by backing up and that comes from reading the play well.
    The Brumbies could do with that asset... They need to put the Tahs back in their box tomorrow night....

vCash
    are you heading down this week mud crab?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    are you heading down this week mud crab?
    Nop...... I'll catch the match in Sydney with a few Tahs supporters at a local pub.... I'd like to hear the commentary on this match... I'll go down around Easter and catch a match... when they get back from SA....

vCash
    soft.........