Thread: Canberra gives up mixed response for soon-to-be Brumbie Giteau

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Canberra gives up mixed response for soon-to-be Brumbie Giteau

Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer

March 03, 2009 12:42pm

MATT Giteau cut a lone figure in Canberra Stadium 40 minutes before kick off as he went through his pre-match kicking practice.
    He received a muted welcome - not the kind of roar he can expect next season from his soon-to-be again home crowd.

And when he was shown on the big screen just before kick off, there were more than few boos echoing around the stadium.

Three minutes into the game he put through a lovely grubber kick that was met by a one-eyed Brumby fan who yelled "whose side are you on".

His first attempted line-break ended with a turnover.

The Force's biggest loss was then cheered by the same fan, and a few thousand more, when he missed the conversion of Shepherd's try that would have put the Force ahead.

The travelling Force fans were the only noise to be heard when he knocked over a penalty on halftime.

But the Brumbies camp were equally as gleeful when he missed a penalty early in the second period, and again when he hit the post with his attempted conversion of Shepherd's third try.

As he left the ground, Giteau was besieged by autograph hunters, each program, jumper and scrap of paper was signed.

He then spent several minutes talking to his old, and soon-to-be, new teammates before heading off to fulfil media commitments with the words, "see you next year, mate" coming from Brumbies' fans.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    there was no standing ovation as predicted by muddy......
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    LOL ... gits isn't playing for them yet! muhahahaha!!! mind you I wouldn't be booing/jeering a future player of my team!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Mrs Shasta got his monika on her away jersey on Saturday at the hotel. She said "We know you're leaving us but I still want you to sign. We won't forget you." Some of us might think he could have handled his dealings a bit differently. But we should not let that detract from that way he's performed on the field for us. Hope he plays his final 12 as well as last Saturday.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    They should have warmed up at the opposite end of the field. There would have been plenty of cheering.

vCash
    The travelling Force fans were the only noise to be heard when he knocked over a penalty on halftime.
    Hey that's you guys!!

Well... He did leave. And his current team did beat them. I wouldn't be too overly loving towards him if I was a Brumbies fan then. But I daresay he will get a different response next year when he runs out there.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper
    Sounds very Canberraen, they go politely quiet however are full of admiration for Matt Giteau. Most would have respected he was playing for the Western Force on Saturday night... Nevertheless next Season Matt Giteau the local kid come international star flyhalf will once again electrify the Brumbies rugby public and be celebrated. He won't be short of many loving fans... Giteau's is returning to where he should be, building on a great Brumbies tradition of Australian Wallaby play makers The Brumbies will have a formidable team in 2010 Giteau is the last piece in the puzzle watch them go all the way in 2010
    eh? Politely quiet?? Bloke near me told us to keep him and they never wanted him back anyway. Hardly polite or quiet. Actually a highlight was the fact that the commentary guy (announcing the team changes) had to tell the Brumbies fans to stand and welcome their team and then tell them to get behind their players when they had the ball.

Last edited by laura; 03-03-09 at 18:46.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer

March 03, 2009 12:42pm
    http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html
    The singular of brumbies is brumby. Isn't it? I'd have thought that a journalist, if he's good at anything, would be good at english.....

vCash
    i agree Laura we can only thank him for playing for the force and making us a better team, but there will be better players come along one day. As for the Brumbies fans we were sitting in the Mal Manenga stand for the first half, (thanks bay 10), the fans there are very strange they don't believe in shouting for your team - wierd I know - and then they have the nerve to say that we are bad sports.
    Well bay 10 the last laugh was on us lol

Last edited by helbob53; 03-03-09 at 21:21. Reason: added more

vCash
    I'm sure in the future the time gits spent with us will be known as the Giteau Era, it will go down in Western Force History, a history I am proud to have been apart of just don't give up on the force until the end of the very last game, even if it is the finals EWF vs. Brumbies!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by helbob53 View Post
    You sure that's the way you meant it

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by helbob53 View Post
    i agree Laura we can only thank him for playing for the force and making us a better team, but there will be better players come along one day. As for the Brumbies fans we were sitting in the Mal Manenga stand for the first half, (thanks bay 10), the fans there are very strange they don't believe in shouting for your team - wierd I know - and then they have the nerve to say that we are bad sports.
    Brumbies supporters generally have an outwouldly conservative nature. They’re still passionate but don’t broadcast it all the time. They see it as gentleman watching rugby at Canberra Stadium. They don't all yell and cheer as it’s just not their way... It’s a very Canberraen demeanor and can be a little frustrating at times. I like to cheer my team but I've been affected by Sydney after so many years here...They have very loyal core long-term members, who are very conventional.

I wouldn’t worry about them or their comments… However BAY 10….These are the Foundation membership seating, Brindabella membership, which has seating available in both the Gregan Larkham and Meninga stands…. You were smack in the middle Helbob, I hope you didn't behave like Hell Boy....

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Brumbies supporters generally have an outwouldly conservative nature. They’re still passionate but don’t broadcast it all the time. They see it as gentleman watching rugby at Canberra Stadium. They don't all yell and cheer as it’s just not their way... It’s a very Canberraen demeanor and can be a little frustrating at times.
    That outwouldly conservative nature really seemed to be lost once the had a bus window between them and us after the game.

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 04-03-09 at 15:29.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    & as I kept saying to the Canberra cretins"look at the scoreboard sunshine"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast