Thread: Now they're the TWINKLETAHS

vCash

Now they're the TWINKLETAHS

I don't think the article is particularly interesting. I just like the name the TwinkleTAHS

Now they're the twinkle Tahs

Greg Growden | February 28, 2009

OK, the Waratahs were pretty entertaining. They didn't win ugly. They are still at the top of the Super 14 ladder. And despite the referee James Leckie doing all he could to ruin the spectacle, just about everyone - bar the Highlanders - went home happy last night.

But there must have been some concerns among the masses after the pre-match comments from the Waratahs coach Chris Hickey who uttered: "It's not about entertaining the crowd. Ultimately it's about winning."

Maybe that's why several spectators were sighted at the Sydney Football Stadium last night carrying pillows under their arms, and holding onto nightshades and balls of knitting wool.

Thankfully the players understood their duty and produced a frothy performance to keep everyone awake for 80 minutes.

Admittedly, there were too many punctuation marks, provided by a flighty, often bewildering referee especially in the first half, but still enough exciting dots and dashes by the players to keep the locals enthused. Kurtley Beale was relaxed and assured with both his kicking and midfield boot, Sam Norton-Knight was providing pace, Wycliff Palu was doing his best for team Tonga, and the back-up was in the right spot at the right moment to keep the Highlanders well away from the summit.

and the rest...
    http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...237928146.html

Grumbles... said something un-good about the tahs. HUH?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Waratahs coach Chris Hickey who uttered: "It's not about entertaining the crowd. Ultimately it's about winning."
    We all know Australian fans only come to watch there teams, if (1) they are 100% committed, win - lose or draw (2) if they are continuously winning and playing scoring and free flowing rugby....

Doesn't sound like there supporters are committed as they are top at the moment , cant do much more from the "W" column, what else are sydneysiders doing this time of year, no league, no GAYFL

Will see how big the crowd is next week when they battle the reds for origin in union.

vCash
    sydney siders dont go to game son a friday night. i worte this int he other thread. nswru shot themselves in the foot by having friday night games. its impossible to get to the city from the north or anywere over the bridge or tunnel on a friday night, its gridlocked, if your not in there before six your pretty much late so most dont bother going! i think, if you look into though, i was listening to a kiwi commentator the other night say crowds across nz aqre down alot, i think it might be a country wide thing!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Excellence at all levels, in particular the officiating, is imperative because crowd interest is dwindling, as shown by last night's poor 19,492 attendance."

Yeah...that together with an operating loss might see you moving to Melbourne.

vCash
    My thoughts on that point are
    1 The ref didn't sell the tickets, if they're unhappy with the crowd it's not his fault

2 since when is the ref meant to care WHAT the teams think of his performance, surely he's meant to be impartial

(all that being said, Leckie is a self important prat when he gets a whistle in his mouth)

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 01-03-09 at 15:57.
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    "Excellence at all levels, in particular the officiating, is imperative because crowd interest is dwindling, as shown by last night's poor 19,492 attendance."

Yeah...that together with an operating loss might see you moving to Melbourne.
    nah, we gain the aru to much in tv ratings for them to let us move, perth on the other hnd, dont really make the aru anything!

Apprentice Contributor Big Boots's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    sydney siders dont go to game son a friday night. i worte this int he other thread. nswru shot themselves in the foot by having friday night games. its impossible to get to the city from the north or anywere over the bridge or tunnel on a friday night, its gridlocked, if your not in there before six your pretty much late so most dont bother going! i think, if you look into though, i was listening to a kiwi commentator the other night say crowds across nz aqre down alot, i think it might be a country wide thing!

A declining crowd is a sure sign that the franchise is in trouble.

Ask any journalist.

vCash
    nah, we have other streams of revenue that far outweigh that such as tv ratings and a giant junior system that demands the aru prop up our franchise at every opportunity!

unfortunately, most of the loss can be blamed on our board, witch while not corrupt (see force board) (just joking) have so much personnel interest in there own agendas that there isnt enough time spent on the actual team! at the moment with chris hickey in charge the eastwood/randwick/sydney uni power struggle is quite intense and will get worse until he gets sacked!