Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teen on Wallabies market as Beale linked to league move

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Teen on Wallabies market as Beale linked to league move

Teen on Wallabies market as Beale linked to league move

By Peter Badel | March 01, 2009 12:00am

League move? ... Kurtley Beale. / The Sunday Telegraph

NSW Waratahs officials will meet with Western Force whiz kid James O'Connor this week as concerns grow that Kurtley Beale may move to the NRL.

The Western Force are facing a new retention headache with Wallabies sensation O'Connor to test his value on the open market.

Just a week after Matt Giteau revealed he would quit the Force at the end of 2009, they are in danger of losing the teenager being groomed to follow in his footsteps.
    Off contract at season's end, O'Connor will meet Waratahs powerbrokers this week as his management steps up negotiations before any decision to commit to the Force.

Interestingly, Beale is also off contract at the end of this season and has been linked with several NRL clubs.

In his strongest performance of the season, Beale booted five goals from five attempts and was named man of the match as the Waratahs beat the Highlanders last Friday.

In Perth, the Force remain desperate to secure O'Connor, rating him their No1 retention target, but they have been instructed by the 18-year-old's management to discuss a top-up component from the Australian Rugby Union.

While there is no suggestion O'Connor is unhappy with controversial Force coach John Mitchell, the playmaker's father, Warren, said his son had to weigh up a number of factors.

They include which position he will play in 2010, his level of game time and whether he needed to be closer to his family on the eastern seaboard.

The Reds have yet to make a play for O'Connor but have strong appeal given he grew up on the Gold Coast.

"We've had no real communication with the Reds since James joined the Force, but if they were interested we'd love to talk to them,'' O'Connor senior said.
    "At this stage we are open to what is in the best interests for James.

"The Force have been good to him but James will weigh up his options. At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you individually.

"We need to decide where James is going to get the best opportunities to grow.''
    O'Connor, who moved to Perth as a 17-year-old, was embroiled in controversy late last year when he was arrested following an incident at a Gold Coast nightclub.

O'Connor admitted he was struggling to deal with the pressures of fame, and a move closer to his parents could ease the strain.

But Warren O'Connor said the gifted playmaker was also reluctant to be used as a utility and was determined to cement the No12 jumper.

http://www.news.com.au:80/heraldsun/...-14823,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Don't worry Warren, the Nudgee boys will look after him.

vCash
    OK, now I think it's really vital that JOC starts starting - consistantly. He needs game time with us. If the tahs can promise him starting 10 with them, we need to offer the same. Giteau should move outside in the next couple of games and James can take over 10. We really need to if we want to keep him, and we do!

Last edited by robyn <3; 28-02-09 at 23:22. Reason: Outside not inside!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He doesn't want #10, he wants #12 Robyn

NSW Waratahs officials will meet with Western Force whiz kid James O'Connor this week
    See, now here's me all along thinking they aren't allowed to do that...or is that only the other three Provinces???

"We need to decide where James is going to get the best opportunities to grow.''
    O'Connor, who moved to Perth as a 17-year-old, was embroiled in controversy late last year when he was arrested following an incident at a Gold Coast nightclub.

O'Connor admitted he was struggling to deal with the pressures of fame, and a move closer to his parents could ease the strain.

Excuse me Mr O'Connor, he hasn't had any dramas over here and we can pretty much be certain he won't have any pressures of fame in Perth, most people don't even know who "Nathan Giteau" is, let alone your son...
    Perhaps what is best for his future is for his family to support him in a safe environment by moving to WA for a year or two?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Father Warren appears to have a touch of the Dragan Dokich about him ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    He doesn't want #10, he wants #12 Robyn
    Haha. Whoops. Next time I'll read the article before replying

I still think he should play at 10 with Giteau outside him. What a killer backline that would make...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    slightly suprising that the Reds havent voiced any interest in him, whilst the Reds are full in the respective positions, he is better or has the potential to be better then most of them in those positions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    slightly suprising that the Reds havent voiced any interest in him, whilst the Reds are full in the respective positions, he is better or has the potential to be better then most of them in those positions.
    Don't tell me you're falling for this ruse, TOCC. Hang on, sorry, I see where you're coming from, we are talking about the Reds aren't we? I take that back.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He certainly has better potential than my hero Turinui...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Beale isn't needed in Rugby, he walk for all I care

Player
    vCash
    It's interesting that Deans sees O'Connor's future at 15. There could be an opening at the Reds there, and also the Waratahs. No chance of unseating Gerrard though I would think. Hard to know what he really wants to play himself. 12 is the position available to him at the Force so of course he states that's where he wants to play. He's mostly played at 10 through his junior career though if i remember rightly.... Interesting battles for spots ahead leading up to the next RWC I must say. All good for Aussie rugby :-)

vCash
    move to NRL? he wants a pay cut? he wants to play league? he doesn't want to play for the wallabies? damn kids got problems if that is the case!!!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Beale and League is just a piss poor attempt at negotiating a better contract. Sad truth is that the NSWRU will probably fall for it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Can't help wondering how long before we see him linked to the Force...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    they probably want to .. but you are not to be seen making moves to listed players during the season.. well some players anyway lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast