Thread: Rising sun dawns on rugby's future with new Super 15 competition

vCash

Rising sun dawns on rugby's future with new Super 15 competition

Rising sun dawns on rugby's future with new Super 15 competition
    By Jim Tucker
    February 28, 2009

A bold Super 15 blueprint, loaded with local derbys in a three-conference format, will be unveiled next week as rugby's biggest makeover since the code went professional.

The intrigue will centre on just where the 15th team is based to complete the vision to expand rugby to a 22-week season running March-to-August in 2011.

A Japan-based outfit, built around imported stars, may be the magnet for broadcasters because it opens a new market, whereas a Melbourne-based side is merely preaching to the same TV audience.

Australian rugby supremo John O'Neill, his board and their New Zealand and South African counterparts have kept details secret during meetings over the past week.

The centrepiece of the package...

For more click Here

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm totally for expansion of the comp but I just don't feel comfortable with the Japanese model if there is only one extra team. It just seems tokenistic and doesn't suit the nature of the rest of the comp.
    I think the only equitable way forward as a fifteen team comp is to bring in the fifth Australian team, even if with extra concessions for it or all Aus teams for a couple of years in overseas players and then build off that.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i reckon a Japanese team would do absolute wonders for the game over there

vCash
    I like the idea of Expanding the Super 14 season to 22-24 weeks. And I'm all for expanding the competition, tho I'm surprised that they have over looked the idea of adding a team from Argentina, they have really been coming into great form over the last few years with a third place finish at the 2007 World Cup and it would help develop the game more in Argentina and help keep more of their players in Argentina rather than heading to Europe (mind you the money might be the pulling point in that). Tho i guess you would have to take into consideration the travel part of adding a team from Argentina.

Thats my two bobs worth and yeah I have a soft spot for Los Pumas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    I like the idea of Expanding the Super 14 season to 22-24 weeks. And I'm all for expanding the competition, tho I'm surprised that they have over looked the idea of adding a team from Argentina, they have really been coming into great form over the last few years with a third place finish at the 2007 World Cup and it would help develop the game more in Argentina and help keep more of their players in Argentina rather than heading to Europe (mind you the money might be the pulling point in that). Tho i guess you would have to take into consideration the travel part of adding a team from Argentina.

Thats my two bobs worth and yeah I have a soft spot for Los Pumas.
    Argentina wasn't overlooked - they just don't fit at this time. Apart from the travel, it's the fact that pretty much their entire national team is in Europe and their domestic setup is basically amateur. SANZAR and News Corp don't want a second-string team in Super Rugby.

I'd like to see them in the Tri Nations though.

vCash
    Yeah that was something i left out wouldnt mind seeing them added to the Tri Nations

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed with all three of you above, I just don't believe it to be the right timing if there is only one extra team being added.
    I think perhaps a better alternative is to add the Australian team and let the three pool system work for a couple of years.
    Then, assuming SA is still hanging in there and not gone to Europe, add one each from the Pacific Islands, Japan and Argentina to the New Zealand, Australian and South African Pools respectively in a couple of years when the talent from each has improved along with improvements in communications, transportation etc.
    I certainly want all three markets involved in Super Rugby ASAP, but not at the expense of a competitive field as that affects the marketability.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.