Thread: Grey area of rugby..... no longer a running game

Champion
    vCash

Grey area of rugby..... no longer a running game

I thought they were trying to promote rugby The ref leckie is a tossa is he a ex-school teacher he just doesnt understand that people pay good $ to see a free flowing game.....entertainment. I am getting sick of the ref's and their interference. There decisions is causing all this kicking. Com on ref association get your a into g and get your hand of the wihstle (yep stick your hands in your pants!)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Must be some good alcohol around tonight!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Kinda have to agree a bit, he has such a micro management view of the match, especially on the quick tap.
    Pretty unusual for a home crowd to jeer a Ref for calling back an away team quick tap!
    Sure the Laws are the Laws, but surely as with interpreting advantage an official has some ability to let petty things like taking a tap a foot away from the actual spot to be let go in favour of a flowing match.
    He absolutely crueled the Highlanders a couple of times on just plain wrong decisions too.

Now that Ecky's hackles are up....
    Hey Ecky, I recall that "back in my day" if you put the ball on the ground while playing a free kick (ie placed it on the spot for the Scrumhalf to come and take the tap and pass, not just a fumble as the Ref was calling it) it was game on.
    In other words the ball had to be kept in hand until you tapped it where as you could put it on the ground for a Penalty tap.
    Is/was that just a Schoolboy ruling or has it changed for all levels?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    With regards to refs.....I get the impression that the "faster game" is causing problems but I'm really not sure why.

Been said before...are we in a position where the ref is getting too kean on being in the lime light?

Are the refs not keeping up with the pace of the game?

Are the the refs getting pissed off with certain players and teams because of constant banter?

Are we just being too hard on the refs?

Are the laws now so open ended that we can't expect any consistency?

Yessh...alcohol involved in this post......

For me it would be interesting to get some feedback on this as it appears to me the pace of a lot of the games is being dictated by the ref, which is not good.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I think Leckie is just a pedantic sot!

He seems to find one or two SPECIFIC things that he want's to be a bastard about every game and if you stray even a half-inch from any of them you're hammered.

Until of course it comes to handing out cards, did you see last night how he was calling early engagement...all night....both teams.....consistently.....continually he went to full arm penalties in the 68th minute what's the point of that....who would care? surely if they haven't got the message by minute 68 somebody should've been in the bin and we'd be talking sendoffs!

Leckie is a twat! he's my replacement for Jonathan Kaplan!

C'mon the

vCash
    The last 48hrs it has been my misfortune to watch 2 matches officiated by Mr Leckie...now I have the utmost respect for those who choose to become a whisleblower...but I have to say that he did ruin 2 spectacles of rugby AND he also made the same bad (wrong) calls in both games.

The games were Force v Cheetahs from last weekend & Waratahs v Highlanders last night.

Ultimately, he didn't affect the outcome but please consider the evidence:

Last week: 2 Force tries disallowed, the first for Cummins being infront of Giteau on a kick through (rubbish) and then another caled back for a forward pass (even more rubbish). This week, he called the Highlanders back on a line break for a forward pass that obviously wasn't.

What about Stanners tackling the man without the ball?!?! Another dud call. And then he mised the Waratah taking out the Highlander attacker in a pathetic attempt to field a kick-through.

And don't get me started on the Tahs' 4th try...what about the knock-on?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    agree that was definitely a knock-on in the fourth try... the ball may have bounced straight up but it travelled forward on the way down for sure...

noticed too that the commentators were very silent AFTER they saw the replay... even though they mentioned it mightve gone forward before it. could also have been an accidental offside.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    The last 48hrs it has been my misfortune to watch 2 matches officiated by Mr Leckie...now I have the utmost respect for those who choose to become a whisleblower...but I have to say that he did ruin 2 spectacles of rugby AND he also made the same bad (wrong) calls in both games.

The games were Force v Cheetahs from last weekend & Waratahs v Highlanders last night.

Ultimately, he didn't affect the outcome but please consider the evidence:

Last week: 2 Force tries disallowed, the first for Cummins being infront of Giteau on a kick through (rubbish) and then another caled back for a forward pass (even more rubbish). This week, he called the Highlanders back on a line break for a forward pass that obviously wasn't.

What about Stanners tackling the man without the ball?!?! Another dud call. And then he mised the Waratah taking out the Highlander attacker in a pathetic attempt to field a kick-through.

And don't get me started on the Tahs' 4th try...what about the knock-on?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    yep a great summary of a pretty bloodt ordinary ref I hope he gets dropped for a while as if he carries on making major blunders one day the teams will just walk off........ so fustrating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Kinda have to agree a bit, he has such a micro management view of the match, especially on the quick tap.
    Pretty unusual for a home crowd to jeer a Ref for calling back an away team quick tap!
    Sure the Laws are the Laws, but surely as with interpreting advantage an official has some ability to let petty things like taking a tap a foot away from the actual spot to be let go in favour of a flowing match.
    He absolutely crueled the Highlanders a couple of times on just plain wrong decisions too.

Now that Ecky's hackles are up....
    Hey Ecky, I recall that "back in my day" if you put the ball on the ground while playing a free kick (ie placed it on the spot for the Scrumhalf to come and take the tap and pass, not just a fumble as the Ref was calling it) it was game on.
    In other words the ball had to be kept in hand until you tapped it where as you could put it on the ground for a Penalty tap.
    Is/was that just a Schoolboy ruling or has it changed for all levels?
    No hackles up over here, my friend!

Some observations (bearing in mind I have a full time job and a young family, so weekends are, sadly, not all about rugby, so I don't get to see many non- matches): All officials have a version of a Game Management Document. Us lot here in Perth community rugby have an IRB/ARU approved document which is revised each year. There are similar documents for each competition. At the pointy end, such as S14, the SANZAR coaches have an input into the draft, as do the match officials.

In this year's document "the mark" is to be more strictly adhered to. This means the quick tap (which must actually move, either out of the hands or along the ground, by the way) must be taken at or behind the mark. Not to the side. The Leckmeister was simply following what the GMD says. I suspect the quick tap "a foot away from the actual spot" was way more than this 30cm from the mark. And to the side. It could have been 90 metres behind the mark, just not to the side. Or in front.

And advantage either accrues or not BEFORE it is brought back for the sanction (scrum/FK/PK). If it is brought back then the re-start takes place in a correct fashion.

Now, Burgs, this "in my day" stuff: Huh? When was your day? I played in the mid 70's to mid 80's and I no recall that. If you wanted to go quickly, find the feet of the ref, tap and run like buggery! The mark is the mark and has always been the mark. If you don't kick it properly it needs to be brought back to either (a) take it again, or (b) scrum, opposing team's feed, depending on what you were told prior to the match

I haven't seen Leckmeister's performance this year, unless he has refereed matches. I did note, for instance, that at the trial match against the Crusaders, he failed to sin bin the culprit who caused the penalty try. This is a mandatory requirement unless you simply can't identify the individual. (note for those playing at home, I have not watched the 2nd half of the Brumbies match but suspect he penalised the entire front row, not an individual)

That's all I have. For now....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nah Ecky, I understand that and know that it hasn't changed, what I'm asking is to do with the ball touching the ground.

I recall that we used to use several tap moves for both Penalties and Free Kicks.
    With a Penalty it was quite ok for the Scrumhalf or whoever was to start the play to leave the ball on the mark while everyone got sorted, then tap the ball and away.
    However, with a free kick we were insructed to never put the ball on the ground (once it was under our possession) and if the oposition did it was "game on" and we often caught opposition by surprise with them not aware of that.
    So, either the PSA Refs of the day didn't know better or it has changed, as you often see the ball on the ground while the kicker comes up or the like.

If that isn't clear enough it'll have to wait for the Bowlo

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.