Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phil Waugh wants Drew Mitchell

vCash

Phil Waugh wants Drew Mitchell

Phil Waugh wants Drew Mitchell and James O'Connor to play for Waratahs
    By Jon Geddes
    February 24, 2009 New South Wales Waratahs captain Phil Waugh has urged Australian rugby's hottest property Drew Mitchell to leave the Western Force and link up with the Waratahs next year.

The dynamic Australia outside back is off-contract with the embattled Western Force at the end of the season and there is strong speculation he will follow teammate Matt Giteau and quit the Perth-based Super 14 outfit.

As he prepares for his 100th Super game with the Waratahs against the Highlanders at the SFS, Waugh has strongly encouraged Mitchell to make the move to Sydney.

"We want him here, that's no secret," Waugh said.

"He is playing some good football.

"I think it is a good opportunity for him to come here and enjoy what is really a developing backline."

Waugh said if the players could stick together it would become one of the most dangerous backlines in the Super 14.

"From his point of view I think this is a pretty attractive place to come," he said.

"I think he would be terrific to be part of this squad.

"We have a great backline now, but he would add another attacking weapon."

Waugh said the 24-year-old Mitchell would enjoy Sydney, playing at the Sydney Football Stadium and the company of the other players.

It is easy to understand Waugh's keenness to snare Mitchell, who can play wing or full-back, has 29 Wallabies caps and 17 Test tries.

Waugh said the Force's outstanding teenage centre James O'Connor would also fit in well at the Waratahs.

"He would enjoy it as well, Sydney is a good place, a good place for those young fellas," he said.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey described Mitchell and O'Connor as both talented young players.

"And if they were off contract that is something that we would consider," Hickey said.

"I would think the other three teams would all be keen to talk to them as well."

And Brumbies CEO Andrew Fagan confirmed his organisation would speak to Mitchell over the coming months:

"With a bit of luck he will be interested in coming across to us."

Fagan revealed Mitchell's management approached him a couple of months ago to get an idea of where their squad sat for next season.

Meanwhile Waugh said the Waratahs were under no illusions as to their current status.

"We have been training reasonably well but certainly in the games I don't think we have nearly hit our straps," he admitted.

"I think the team has huge room for improvement and we just have to make sure we don't wait another four or five weeks to get there."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Phil Waugh may not be staying on at the Tahs if the ARU don't give him a Wallabies contract... Mitchell shouldn't listen to hard to his mutterings until he knows who the Tahs squad will be in 2010...

vCash
    Title sounded like a sex thing ...

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Who will the Tahs flick to get Drew Mitchell?

Waugh?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sam Two-dads. Rumours are Japan next year anyway.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I expect he'll want Browndog to sign up as well...and Sheps and Spanner.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I expect he'll want Browndog to sign up as well...and Sheps and Spanner.
    A lot of teams would like Browdog but Shep is over rated he wont get many offers and Spanner (who I like) is nearing the end of his sporting career...

I'd expect a big fight for Brown, JOC and Mitchell will go... JOC is there to learn and the master has gone and Mitchell is like Gits just wants out (a change)....

Reds could really do with Brown he would help a great deal there...

vCash
    Shock horror news hear.... I mean who wouldnt want Mitchell and J O'C in your squad!!! well too bad shrek we have them and your not gettin them!!!

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    all this hoo-har over a pretty boy when barnes is off contract, i wish some people would show some real priorities!

vCash
    Given that most of TWF's members residing in the East (you know who you are) don't rate Drew at #15, then that must mean the Tahs would play him on the wing....maybe we can get Lote in a swap!!!

What does Waugh care anyway? He won't be getting a contract from the ARU so it doesn't matter what he thinks about possible future players for the powder blues.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    i would prefer to swap beale to 15 and move hangers or sign barnes for 10! mitchell would be a decent addition but i wouldnt be breaking the bank to sign him, offer him the standard if he wants to live in sydney and play for the tahs he will take it, if he misses gits or needs extra money, he would sign with the brums or force respectivly. in reality, he should go back to the reds and fill there fullback squad, its were he should be!

vCash
    Mitchell would first have to ask his boyfriend 'Gits' if it was OK with him to play for the Waratahs.

vCash
    gits probably wants to play for the tahs, he just isnt good enough really!

vCash
    I think all this diatribe about we want him and him, from whoever..should all be left to the end of the season..and let the players just concentrate on the job at hand, without concerning themselves on what could or wouldn't happen next season...Gosh! it's a like blasted meat market..and it all about THEM....they are paid to do a job without all this outside distractions....Give us all a darned break to enjoy the rugby....

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Given that most of TWF's members residing in the East (you know who you are) don't rate Drew at #15, then that must mean the Tahs would play him on the wing....maybe we can get Lote in a swap!!!

Would you like some hate in the face? The only reason anyone outside of Tahland would want Lote is so they can bash him...

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast