Thread: Force calls on ARU for help

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force calls on ARU for help

Force calls on ARC for help

Article from:

By Iain Payten

February 23, 2009 12:00am

WESTERN Force boss Greg Harris has called on the ARU to help them keep their stars as it emerged the Brumbies aim to back up their Matt Giteau signing by poaching Drew Mitchell as well.
    Brumbies boss Andrew Fagan confirmed yesterday he hopes Mitchell will follow his good mate Giteau to Canberra next season, and is set to enter talks with his manager. NSW and Queensland are also keen on signing the Wallaby wing.

The impending battle to retain Mitchell and Giteau's return "home'' has rung alarm bells at the Force, prompting Harris to call for ARU help to keep the WA outfit competitive. Harris said a salary cap concession similar to the Sydney Swans was one idea to be considered.

"It'd be good if the ARU might look at ways it could provide assistance or leeway for the Western Force or otherwise this could herald serious issues for us,'' Harris said.

There are fears at the Force their dislocation in Perth could prove a stumbling block in keeping players, who are from the eastern states.

Super 14 salaries are effectively capped at around $150,000. The Firepower-fuelled dollars that lured stars over to the Force are gone, and some predict more easterly player movement.

Harris believes it is in the ARU's interest to re-assess the contracting set-up or risk losing the benefits of a fourth team in WA.

"I think there needs to be a broader appreciation of the hurdles that exist in Western Australia, and that will require people to take a more national approach to the game. Otherwise, the AFL will be the beneficiaries,'' Harris said.

The Force are due to open talks with Mitchell as soon as his ARU contract is finalised. Fagan said he hoped Giteau might act as a lure for the speedy back.
    "That's one of the things Matt brings to any team, he is going to help recruit players who want to play alongside him,'' Fagan said. "Hopefully Matt can help Drew answer any questions about Canberra, our players and our footy program.''

Giteau knocked back a $1.6 million, four-year deal with the Force to return to the Brumbies, saying his motivation wasn't money. The Wallabies star said he'd spoken with Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock prior to making his decision.

"Stirlo was good to talk to, he will probably be at the Brumbies til he's 38 like Greegs (George Gregan),'' Giteau said.

Giteau denied differences with coach John Mitchell played a part in his move. He will live in Perth when not playing Super 14 to be with netballer girlfriend Bianca Franklin, sister of AFL star Buddy Franklin.

http://www.news.com.au:80/dailyteleg...001023,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    sorry, im not going to write it, but you all know what i wanna say right?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I appreciate the restraint WJ - but even you can see the need for something to ensure the Force remains competitive.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    i can see the need, thats why i wouldnt mind the aru organising some sort of draft like the kiwis have.

its just, being from the east, when you guys came in (and ive said before the aru was as much to blame if not more) you used money to sign players, now that the money isnt there (firepower) the players are exploring playing closer to there homes. one may argue they wouldnt have gone west in the first place if the money was the same.

i would prefer to see the force invest in young players and keep a playing group together for a few years than keep signing big names liek they did with gits and such but with the switch of stadiums and falling crowds (crowds seem to be an across the board thing though) the need for the force to be competitive may need to be a short sighted thing for now and assistance might be needed.

its a tough call though, when queensland was in bad financial shape and lost alot of players, should they have got help?

vCash
    Wouldn't it be better to get the young guys in which would be slightly cheaper then the big names, then they can invest a little bit more money into the coaching side of things? Like I've said before, get the young WA boys in! but then again I don't know what regulatios there are on coaching staff!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    oh and I'd imagine the WA boys would be more likely to stay in Perth, it a bit harder to get home sick when your family and friends are in the same state!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    thats exactly what i mean, invest in a team for the future instead of a team for right now!

but its a double edged sword. would a couple more years of having a struggling team for long term success mean more loss in revenue?. professional sport is hard to judge in that area. and if the force continue to poach players (which i fully understand they need to do in the short term) is poaching big names the way to go,

my belief is that the force have neglected the balance of the team (see the tight five) for the benifit of having a few big name players for marketing purposes. its always been my belief and its something the tahs dont do either, but ive always believed you should sell the team and not the individual.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I think the Draft idea would be the best for the Wallabies WJ especially when you have class young and old players sitting on the bench or not even making the bench whilst other clubs struggle to fill positions.

If the Force invested in young players the majority would have to come from the Tahs and Reds development programs, if we do that shouldn’t we be helping financially or at least paying a commission to these clubs? How much did it cost to develop Hockings, O'Connor, Pocock and Brown who I believe are our core players going forward?

vCash
    hmm, im not even going to comment on this..

all i will say is, the pain that the Force caused QLD a few years back forced the whole organisation to reasses there procedures for recruitment and retention as well as the overall structure of the club, in the long run the QRU and Reds are better off, it did screw them badly in the short term though.

Maybe its time a similar thing happened for the force as well

Last edited by TOCC; 23-02-09 at 12:46.

vCash
    the most telling thing about it is the quote from giteau that he would probably still be at the brumbies if it wasnt for the money on offer.

if your recruiting players on the same money as the other clubs your more likely to find players who want to play for your organisation!

vCash
    I agree with most of what has been posted. You've got some tough times ahead but having a "compensation culture" will do nothing for the club.

Like the Reds, you have to put structures in place to hold the young blokes and bring them through. That loyalty will be repaid in the years ahead as they develop.

Look at the youthful and talented Reds now (and what they will pay back in the next 3-5 years), compared to the hacks that Eddie Jones was trying to recruit and protect.

This is the way to dig yourself out of a hole.

vCash
    Dare I say it, but pretty much agree with WJ and TOCC- I don't think the Force can really get too precious about other franchises 'stealing' their players.

They're fairly wedged between a rock and a hard place- the utopian idea of nuturing local talent sounds lovely, but a drop in performace (and subsequent drop in support) is the last thing the franchise can really entertian at the moment. But then if the club decides it does need to attract east coast talent- what can they offer above and beyond the reds, tahs and brumbies? I'd love to say perth and the 'sea of blue' and that we're all worth crossing the Nullabor for, but I don't think too many people are buying that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    sorry, im not going to write it, but you all know what i wanna say right?
    Gee… WJ now’s not the time to go quiet...

vCash
    i think you need to offer up and comers opportunity to play. like giteau wanted a crack at ten so he looked to leave while larkahm was still there.

if you do get extra money, maybe signing up some youngsters and using that money to help relocate there familys rather than pay them extra could help with retaining them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Gee… WJ now’s not the time to go quiet...
    its not something to gloat about, i didnt agree with the recruitment, but at the moment, the talent is quite well spread across the country, i dont think gits should ever have left the act cos they develop very few truly home grown players and he is there poster boy but i would truly like to see all three aussie teams doing well, just short of being truly great like the tahs are!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast