Thread: Business syndicate claims Giteau did not trust Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Business syndicate claims Giteau did not trust Force

Business syndicate claims Giteau did not trust Force

Article from: AAP

Nick Taylor, rugby writer
    February 21, 2009 04:12pm

EXCLUSIVE: AN 11th-hour, third-party offer from a Perth business syndicate last week came too late to keep Wallaby star Matt Giteau at the Western Force.
    But the desperate and secret last-ditch bid could not stop the dynamic playmaker from making the decision to go back to the ACT Brumbies for two seasons.

Yesterday, a syndicate member refused to detail the offer or why it failed.

But he claimed that Giteau chose the Brumbies because he "did not trust this (Western Force) franchise".

But Giteau told The Sunday Times: "It was a very generous offer.

"It was good, but it was probably a little late. I was looking for an offer a bit earlier."

It was the second third-party sponsorship offer made to Giteau since the collapse of his major sponsor, controversial fuel-additive company Firepower.

The first offer, worth $1.6million, came from a syndicate led by major Force sponsor ET Mining's Ross Graham.

Giteau said of it: "I wasn't able to come to an agreement. That was more unfortunate."

Last weekend, the latest syndicate invited Giteau's parents to Perth in the hope they would persuade their son to stay.

And in another extraordinary move, at least one Perth rugby club was asked to adopt Giteau, 26, for $20,000-$50,000, in return for his attendance at coaching clinics and public events.

Giteau, 26, will keep his Cottesloe home and will return to live in Perth after Super14 and Wallaby commitments each year.

Giteau's confirmation yesterday that he is heading back to the Brumbies at the end of this season ended months of speculation and confirmed one of the worst-kept secret in rugby.

In an ironic twist Giteau's announcement came a week before the Force takes on the Brumbies in what will be an emotionally charged game.

Giteau, who has 60 Test caps, said money was not the sole reason for his decision.

"If it was about money I would have stayed here," he said. "Promises (were) made and weren't obviously kept because of certain things. I feel proud of myself that I've honoured my contract.

"There's no real bitter taste because I've always enjoyed my time in Perth. I'm sad about leaving.
    "The fact that I was looking to re-negotiate to stay on longer shows how much I do like Perth and love playing with the boys. We've all got to make decisions. I've made mine. Hopefully it's the right one and I look forward to finishing off what will be hopefully the Force's best year."

RugbyWA chairman Geoff Stooke was not surprised by Giteau's decision to leave - but he is not clear on the reasons.

In a confidential email to board members of RugbyWA - the governing body of the Western Force - obtained by The Sunday Times, Stooke admitted that there were deficiencies in the organisation.
    But he rejected criticism and defended against allegations that it was second-rate.

Stooke admitted that there were still issues with the club's coaches, headed by John Mitchell, and revealed that Force players were among the best paid in the country.

The long-standing chairman said the club must solve problems that made players want to leave.

Stooke, who has a strong presence on the board, wrote to his members on Tuesday after a Monday board meeting.

"Matt Giteau's decision to move back to the Brumbies comes as no surprise but his reasons remain unclear," he said.

"Some have the view that it is because of RugbyWA and others will suggest it is simply money and family. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

"It is important that any deficiencies in our organisation are addressed, but I do not accept the implications by some that everything about our organisation is second rate."

Giteau's departure will leave a massive gap in Force ranks - and could produce many more as other players take a hard look at their futures.

Giteau's good mate Drew Mitchell is already in talks about his future - asare 17 other players - and halfback Josh Valentine said one of the reasons he came to Perth was to play alongside Giteau.

The club now has to start a hunt for a new five-eighth and will be hoping next week's negotiations with teenage sensation James O'Connor go well.

http://www.news.com.au:80/perthnow/s...005401,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    This article hits the nail on the head. There does appear deeper problems than many will openly accept.

Who can blame Giteau for not accepting an offer from ET Mining? He was so badly let down by the Force and Firepower and has lost, potentially, millions of dollars?

ET Mining had a joint venture with Firepower - they were close to Tim Johnston.

Peter O'Meara works for ET Mining.

Whilst not suggesting there is anything wrong with ET Mining, there clearly was with Firepower and some of the people associated with them.

Can you blame Giteau for being a little cautious here? It seems pretty obvious to me.

Once the trust of employees is lost (by employers) in any organisation, its very hard to get it back.

The Force have a big priority here - they must address any CURRENT issues with other players or risk total disharmony and walk out. The mess of the last few years is finally catching up and thats a shame.

I think its important that the Force now do the right thing by Giteau. And its remaining players.

And why is there problems still with the coach? This really needs to be cleaned up once and for all.

Does the whole place need a broom put through it?

I watched the excitement of the Brumbies in their win last night - now thats team harmony and leadership. When can the Force achieve that?

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    And whilst I reckon Chisel has some rather radical views on things, perhaps his firm hand ideas have some merits?

Perhaps this is what's needed to 'refresh' the force and build culture.

vCash
    you shouldnt need firm hand ideas, RugbyWA and JM had the chance to build this club from scratch, they had the chance to influence the culture of the club through the players they selected and the systems they put in place.

If there is a issue at the club, its obviously coming from top down, it would be crazy to clamp down with a firm hand, its only going to alienate the current players further.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    you shouldnt need firm hand ideas, RugbyWA and JM had the chance to build this club from scratch, they had the chance to influence the culture of the club through the players they selected and the systems they put in place.
    very true, but every pre-season has had controversy of some sort and that has set the tone for the season....

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    TOCC,

I agree with you. I dont believe the firm hand approach works in this world.

Perhaps Chisel has been right about a few points. Perhaps the board and management dont support Mitchell enough and give too much 'air time' to players.

I pose a question - is it fair that the players communicate to board/management about their views on the coach? Should the coach be judged by players - none of whom have coaching experience?

My view is that players can provide input but in an orderly and professional way.

If players know they can bleat to board member or mgt about something and they'll get a reaction, then they'll do it. And this unfairly undermines the coach.

Rugby is ruined by politics and egos.

Its time for the Force to back their coach, leave the board to do their job and TELL players to do theirs.

Blurring the lines of communication creates an environment of lots of chiefs and no indians.

Outstanding coaches and leaders run football teams. Not committees and boards that interfere and wish they could do want they cant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondiflyer View Post
    And whilst I reckon Chisel has some rather radical views on things, perhaps his firm hand ideas have some merits?

Perhaps this is what's needed to 'refresh' the force and build culture.
    wasn't the firm hand replaced by a committee

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    And I wonder whether this is a good idea?

Was the committee put in place because too many players were complaining to board and management who, very mistakenly, listened to them.

Would the position been different if the board and management asked the players to stop complaining and do what they are paid many hundreds of thousands to do.

Player politics should be totally discouraged. And management who encourage it, indirectly by acting on it, need to have a hard look at themselves.

Does the Board of a bank run around to its junior staff to ask whether they reckon their Coach (equivalent - say, CEO)) should be sacked? I think not. Would the board of a bank listen to the complaints of junior staff about one of their leaders? Probably not.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Perhaps the Board of the Force need to establish one committee -

One that listens to the concerns of its members and the true voice of the team.

They can spend money on surveys etc, etc but there's nothing like a board facing a committee of members.

A committee of, say, 25 members could be established to provide very frank and open feedback to the board about their view on how the Force is being lead.

The members, like any democracy, have a big right in being heard. And its time members in sporting groups were listened to by boards.

Perhaps I could say, its time for board of banks to listen to their customers too!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    perhaps Gitteau just didnt like playing under Mitchell
    Mitchell stays
    Gitteau goes
    am I wrong?

vCash
    Perhaps the force should just start playing rugby and leave the bull shit, hear dressing, makeup, and trying to undermine authority to politicians and AFL idiots

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondiflyer View Post
    Perhaps the Board of the Force need to establish one committee -

One that listens to the concerns of its members and the true voice of the team.

They can spend money on surveys etc, etc but there's nothing like a board facing a committee of members.

A committee of, say, 25 members could be established to provide very frank and open feedback to the board about their view on how the Force is being lead.

The members, like any democracy, have a big right in being heard. And its time members in sporting groups were listened to by boards.

Perhaps I could say, its time for board of banks to listen to their customers too!
    fremantle dockers have a member on their board

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    fremantle dockers have a member on their board
    Rick Hart?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Forget about the soap opera - lets get on with some good rugby.

The Brumbies do have an interesting legacy left by Mr Rod McQueen a system -
    They have a match committee
    they have a distinct player hirarchy
    Camaraderie is ingrained and demanded
    They also have some sense of arrogance or self belief that they can win games i.e. they always say that they are going to win - even when it seems impossible.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Rick Hart?
    no rick is the president, ben allan and david garic are the member elected directors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast