Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Giteau Back to Brumbies

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Matt Giteau Back to Brumbies

Emirates Western Force flyhalf Matt Giteau will return to the CA Brumbies next season, having agreed to a two-year deal with the Canberra-based team for the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

The 25-year-old fielded generous offers from the Emirates Western Force and CA Brumbies, but ultimately chose the latter in order to return home and be closer to family and friends.

"I was very fortunate to have two fantastic offers to consider. In the end it came down to a simple desire to return to Canberra," the 65-Test veteran explained.

Giteau, who has played 26 matches for the Emirates Western Force after joining the side in 2007, said he had deliberated long and hard over his future at provincial level.

“Having committed to the Wallabies and Australian Rugby until the end of 2011, it was just my Super 14 future that I needed to consider,” he said.

"I have had a great time over here and I've really enjoyed living in Perth. I've been lucky enough to play with a great bunch of players and in front of some of the best fans in the country.”

"I want to thank the people of Perth, my teammates and the Emirates Western Force for their support over the last few years."

"Now the decision has been made, it's great to be able to focus entirely on playing for the Force and working hard to break through for our first finals campaign. As a team we are hungry for that success and I am fully committed to delivering us those results.”

RugbyWA CEO Greg Harris said the organisation was appreciative of Matt’s contribution to the Emirates Western Force both on and off the field, but will continue to look to the future.

“Matt has been a wonderful contributor to the organisation and we’ve been very fortunate to have the services of a player of his calibre to help to establish our brand and our standing in the game,” said Harris.

“Obviously we would have loved to have kept Matt at the Emirates Western Force but respect his personal position and the reasons for his decision to return to Canberra in 2010.”

“It is a blow for the Emirates Western Force however where one door closes, another one opens and Matt’s departure will provide an opportunity for someone like a James O’Connor to step forward and assume a more influential role in our team.”

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan said his organisation welcomed the return of the local ACT product.

“Matt left the CA Brumbies on good terms and we wished him all the best, but we made no secret about our desire to see him back in CA Brumbies colours.

Matt is a local product who rose through our development program to become an integral member of the Wallabies and it will be great to have him back in a CA Brumbies jersey to represent the region he is so fond of,” said Fagan.

“Matt Giteau is a rugby superstar and one of the highest profile sportspeople in this country. His return is a huge vote of confidence in the CA Brumbies program and great news for Canberra and Brumbies Rugby.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Harris View Post
    “It is a blow for the Emirates Western Force however where one door closes, another one opens and Matt’s departure will provide an opportunity for someone like a James O’Connor to step forward and assume a more influential role in our team.”
    fair enough, but what about Scotty Daruda?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    not in the picture according to coach Harris

vCash
    I wonder if this will spell the end of the match committee?

C'mon the

vCash
    sigh. Oh well. You've been great gits

Can we please ban Mudskipper from this thread?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    More politics... people will be chasing J O'C if he's entertaining making use of his option this year, Harris is dangling the starting playmaker spot as bait.

vCash
    *sigh* Oh well..

I think I knew this was going to happen, just been in denial!

vCash

Thanks for the memories

Over the past two and a bit years, we have had the oportunity to see one of the greats carry out his trade for us. Week after week, match after match he put his body on the line for the cause. he took us from cellar dwellars into believers that we can make the finals and if not at least we could compete against the best of them out there.

Matt, thank for the time you gave us, helping us develop, attracting some great players,and I am sure I and many others will not forget some magic moments you gave us. I am sure there is so much more I could say, but in the end you were a help and inspiration to us out here in the West, and we all wish you well with your move back home.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    I think it was pretty much inevitable but I had hoped he would have waited to atleast see how the Force went this season.
    Oh well, was good having him while we did and good that he could teach JO'C a few things, hopefully now we keep JO'C and he can cement a starting spot of his own. But in the mean time Gits has a lot to give to the Force and I look forward to seeing him give it his all and helping the team get in to the finals.

Last edited by laura; 21-02-09 at 11:35.

vCash
    He's not gone yet, folks. He still has nearly a full season left in front of him!

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    O well, we all knew it was coming.

It was good to get Gits in the first place.

Go The Force!

vCash
    Imagine what the crowd's reaction would have been last night at the game if he'd announced it before. I guess by announcing it now, it lets the news sink in a bit more before the next home game in 3 weeks

vCash
    how long until we hear the announcement that drew is joining him....?

Apprentice
    vCash
    It was a good thing he announced this prior to next weekends game in Canberra - the prodigal son returnig - adds a bit more intrigue to the match and will probably put a few more bums on seats. Good luck to him.

vCash
    He'd better put 100% into this team this season. I wonder if Mitch is going to move JOC to 10 for some if this season if thats where he's going to spend next year with us, if he stays...

Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    how long until we hear the announcement that drew is joining him....?
    I still maintain that Drew is not going to the Brumbies

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast