Thread: All Blacks Richie McCaw, Brad Thorn and Leon MacDonald ruled out against Brumbies

vCash

Arrow All Blacks Richie McCaw, Brad Thorn and Leon MacDonald ruled out against Brumbies

All Blacks Richie McCaw, Brad Thorn and Leon MacDonald ruled out against Brumbies

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006067,00.html

THE Brumbies' task against Super 14 rugby champions the Crusaders on Saturday has become less daunting with key All Blacks Richie McCaw, Brad Thorn and Leon MacDonald ruled out.

The trio all failed to recover sufficiently from injuries suffered in their first round home win over the Chiefs last weekend and were omitted from the team named on Thursday for the Canberra Stadium match.

All Blacks captain McCaw received a head knock and team management said the champion openside flanker was not ready to play, although he had improved significantly. He's replaced by George Whitelock.

Lock Thorn (heel) and fullback MacDonald (shoulder) are replaced by Isaac Ross and Stephen Brett respectively with blindside flanker Kieran Read to captain the side.

Crusaders head coach Todd Blackadder said McCaw was close to being available but was not quite 100 per cent.

"He has been following our concussion protocols this week and we've been monitoring him closely but the Crusaders management, along with Richie, have decided that he won't play this week," Blackadder said.

He said it was too early to say how long Thorn and MacDonald would be out for.

Crusaders: Stephen Brett, Jared Payne, Casey Laulala, Tim Bateman, Kade Poki, Colin Slade, Andy Ellis, Thomas Waldrom, George Whitelock, Kieran Read (capt), Ross Filipo, Isaac Ross, Ben Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett. Res: Jason Macdonald, Bronson Murray, Michael Paterson, Nasi Manu, Kahn Fotuali'i, Ryan Crotty, Adam Whitelock.

...Its better when you beat their best... nonetheless no mercy will be given to men from the Shaky Isles Pony club by the Wild Horses come game time…

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    that's a wee little bonus for you guys then...

vCash
    hmmmmm might have to look at my tips for this weekend again now

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    George will have a field day with no McCaw.

Brumbies to make it 2 from 2!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't know- George Whitelock is a pretty damn good replacement (scored 2 on the Force in trial match)

How easy on us is this though- Chiefs minus Lauaki and Mils against the Tahs, the Brumbies get no Thorn, McCaw or MacDonald and we don't have to man up on Nokwe. If any one of us loses this weekend it will seriously hit the fan.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    There is a pretty big gap between McCaw and the next best openside in NZ. Just look at when the Wallabies played against the AB's last year with and without him.

I thought the same thing last week when the blues came over without key players and look what happened.

vCash
    Maybe my Canberra road trip this weekend will be all good
    and my NZ buddy can just pick up the costs...

The last crusader match in Canberra was the farewell match for Gregan and Larkham where a grandstand was named after the duo. Plenty of Crusader supporters traveled over from Christchurch for the match, they have a great fan base, a people that really enjoy their rugby culture… I hope their there again this weekend...

But respect: the Crusaders still have plenty of talent and never give up….

Crusaders dangerous players: Casey Laulala(the fro bro), Tim Bateman, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (capt), Ross Filipo, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett

BRUMBIES can't give the shaky isles Pony Club 19 point head start like last week in Dunedin...or its glue sticks...

vCash
    Bugger! Mrs Jedi isn't happy.....it's going to be a long weekend!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash

Post Canterbury to go on crusade without stars

Canterbury to go on crusade without stars
    BY PETER FITZGERALD
    20/02/2009 7:00:00 AM

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

A depleted Canterbury Crusaders outfit will arrive in Canberra tonight with a simple message for the ACT Brumbies write us off at your own peril.
    All Blacks stars Richie McCaw, Brad Thorn and Leon MacDonald were yesterday left out of the the Crusaders side to tackle the Brumbies at Canberra Stadium tomorrow night.

The trio, which has played 254 Super rugby games and 146 Tests between them, failed to overcome injuries sustained during their round-one win against the Waikato Chiefs last weekend.

ACTTAB Sportsbet reacted quickly to the news of their withdrawal yesterday morning, shortening the Brumbies from $1.95 outsiders into $1.65 favourites by late yesterday.

The Crusaders drifted from $1.85 to $2.20.

Without the trio the Crusaders will field one of their most inexperienced teams of the past decade.

Also missing from the side that beat the Brumbies 34-3 in Christchurch last year are All Blacks Daniel Carter, Mose Tuiali'i, Scott Hamilton, Ali Williams and Greg Somerville.

While on paper the seven-time champion appears drained for talent, its coach Todd Blackadder put on a brave face yesterday when asked how the loss of the three stars would impact on his team's chances of victory tomorrow night.

''They're major losses, there's no point hiding that, but are they losses we can't overcome? Absolutely not,'' Blackadder told The Canberra Times.

''Actually I'm not that concerned. I don't keep focus too much on what we don't have. It's about what we do have that we look at.

''Players will step up. One thing this organisation has always prided itself on is being able to get out of tough situations and I expect this challenge we face will be no different.''

The three replacements named to fill the gaping holes have minimal Super rugby experience.

Stephen Brett, who will fill in for MacDonald at fullback, has played 14 matches.

George Whitelock set to go head-to-head with George Smith at openside flanker due to McCaw's withdrawal made his debut off the bench last week while Isaac Ross has 14 caps, compared to Thorn's 53.

Despite the obvious lack of experience, Brumbies coach Andy Friend refused to buy into the theory that the Crusaders would be easier to beat in tomorrow night's round-two clash.

''They play a certain style of game where it doesn't matter who is wearing jerseys one to 15,'' Friend said.

''We're facing 15 blokes in red and black and they'll be good, very good.

''They'll look to us to make errors so we've got to be good at our game, make sure we're patient.''

Brumbies flanker Smith appeared disappointed yesterday when finding out he would not come up against his great rival McCaw.

The pair has produced some great battles over the years at the breakdown in both Super rugby games and Test matches.

Smith said his preparation for tomorrow's match would be the same as any other, despite knowing he would be battling against a relative no-name in Whitelock.

''The thing is, you know what you're going to get with McCaw, he's always a quality pilferer of the ball,'' Smith said.

''From what I've heard of Whitelock he's a very competent player and someone to look out for.''

The Brumbies will have their captain's run at Canberra Stadium this morning.

The Crusaders will have their final training session in Christchurch before a late flight to Canberra today.

TOMORROW

Super 14 round two: ACT Brumbies v Canterbury Crusaders at Canberra Stadium, 7.40pm. TV time: Live on Fox Sports 2.

vCash
    i cant say i fully understand having Stephen Brett at fullback and not 5/8, whilst Colin Slade may have more potential Stephen Brett is still the better player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i cant say i fully understand having Stephen Brett at fullback and not 5/8, whilst Colin Slade may have more potential Stephen Brett is still the better player.
    Its because their other winger Sean Maitland land is out with a hamstring...brett was out due to injury... I guess Blackadder thinks he has a kicking game...

Crusaders will fight for the match, however last 20 minutes might get to them with less depth on bench due to all the injuries this week...

vCash
    yes but Brett is a better 5/8 then there current 5/8(Slade), i would personally rather have Brett at 5/8 and Slade at fullback.

but hey,im sure blackadder has it sorted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    yes but Brett is a better 5/8 then there current 5/8(Slade), i would personally rather have Brett at 5/8 and Slade at fullback.

but hey,im sure blackadder has it sorted
    I was surprised about Brett also... I think he may not be 100%... if thats true it could be trouble for the Saders...