Thread: Cross questions Force's attitude

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cross questions Force's attitude

Cross questions Force's attitude
    David Beniuk

February 18, 2009 - 6:34PM
    Frustrated centre Ryan Cross has conceded the Western Force's capitulation to the Blues in their Super 14 opener could have been about attitude, but says that doesn't mean recent off-field dramas are to blame.

The Force led 14-3 in the first half at Subiaco Oval last Friday before their Auckland-based opponents piled on four tries - at least two of them against woeful defence - to win 25-19, a scoreline which flattered the home team.

The Perth side were embroiled in pre-season tensions between coach John Mitchell and his players and their first-up Super 14 effort had some quick to proclaim the trouble-prone franchise was unravelling.

Asked about the players' desire last Friday, Wallaby centre Cross said: "You can always look at that.
    "Goal-line defence is about attitude and maybe our attitude was a bit down so we've had a bit of a razz about that.

"Goal-line defence and kick-chase are two big things about attitude and I think this week is going to show our attitude is right back on."

Cross said the "razz" had come mostly from the players themselves.

"We were leading for most of the game last week and it's just frustrating how we let it slip like that," he told AAP on Wednesday.

"We've played three games this year, two trials and a comp game and we've been leading each of them and been run down. I don't know what it is.

"Hopefully if we get in front this week we can knuckle down and kick away because it's been a frustrating start to the year."

But Cross denied any lax attitude was linked to the Force's off-field issues, which resulted in an independent inquiry and a self-confessed change to Mitchell's approach.

"Obviously it was a big distraction in the off-season and now there's no excuses," Cross said.
    "We can't use that as any sort of excuse or problem because we know what we've got to do, we like playing with each other, we're good friends so there's no reason why we can't do it for each other."

In good news for the Force, Cross declared himself a certain starter against the Cheetahs at Subiaco on Friday, despite an AC injury that will have him playing in pain for possibly the next month.
    "I've had them before and hopefully I can deal with it for the rest of the season," he said.
    "It's just a bit of a niggle, for the next three of four weeks I have to deal with a bit of pain training and playing."

The Force have made seven changes, five to the run-on side - with teenage Wallaby tourist James O'Connor to start at inside centre and new signings Josh Valentine and Ben Castle back from injury to make their first starts for the Perth side.

Cross said O'Connor, who can also play fullback and five-eighth, would perform a second playmaker's role alongside No.10 Matt Giteau.

"I think (No.12's) a good spot, especially playing outside someone as experienced as Gits and I've been around for a while so hopefully we can help him out a bit," he said.

Western Force: Cameron Shepherd, Nick Cummins, Ryan Cross, James O'Connor, Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau, Josh Valentine, Richard Brown, David Pocock, Tamaiti Horua, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Pat O'Connor, Ben Castle, Tai McIsaac, Gareth Hardy. Res: Luke Holmes, Kieren Longbottom, Tom Hockings, Matt Hodgson, Chris O'Young, Josh Tatupu, Scott Staniforth.

http://news.smh.com.au:80/breaking-n...0218-8bbo.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossy the Mungo"
    Obviously it was a big distraction in the off-season and now there's no excuses," Cross said.
    Oops! A bit too honest there Crossy. Wot about the "Party Line".

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Wot about the "Party Line"
    "Ryan Cross declared unavailable to take on the Cheetahs this Friday night after the Centre chose to take a Working Holiday to Siberia"
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    via Cambodia

vCash
    Take a look at the team sheet guys.

The match committee has been reading us!

Very interesting to see a complete change in the Props....wonder if that is a strategy or a hooking.

As for the rest of the changes, I couldn't agree more. Tatupu makes a reasonable replacement in the centres, as does Spanner so if JO'C doesn't handle things, or Crossy's shoulder plays up there's an option to replace.Spanner is also a greay option if Nicky doesn't manage things.

Kieren of the long bottom on the bench against a (traditionally) HUUUUUUGE front row... It'd be really cool if this front row is the 'technical' unit to be used in matches where we need a bit extra in the scrum!

Fire up boys, two more sleeps!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Take a look at the team sheet guys.

The match committee has been reading us!
    They know where all the smart people hang out.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I like that he can speak honestly about what the team is obviously lacking, that is the true grit to dig deep and either hold out the opposition, or smash them and truly finish what they start...Good on him for pointing out the obvious i say...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash

Wink we like playing with each other, we're good friends so there's no reason why we can't

Team looks much better. And it looks good for the club that some one is actually speaking with out a forked tongue!
    Just a little bit worried about the good friends bit though.

vCash
    Tatupu was good last week and showed promise he deserves some time on the field this week… good to see Staniforth back even on the bench he's a great player and has good positive attitude on the field, he will help lift the team...

The Force backline is dangerously quick but small, it will be imperative for the Force pack to help the backs out in defense so they're fresh in attack. Juan Smith is an outstanding player and the heart of the Cheetahs, Brown and Pocock need to shut him out as much as possible.... Force by 10...good luck boys...

....with Ryan’s comments, honesty isn't a weakness...they can set up and take a nice home win at Subi this week...

Player
    vCash
    Crossy is right defence is all about attitude and urgency.Hope to see both this week from the whole team for the whole 80mins,cant afford any lapses in defence.Thats how the Blues ended up with 4 tries.