Thread: O'Connor gains weight, experience

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

O'Connor gains weight, experience

O'Connor gains weight, experience

Bret Harris | February 18, 200

Article from: The Australian

JAMES O'Connor has learnt how to use his head and also built up his body as he continues his development as one of the most prodigious talents in Australian rugby.

O'Connor made his Super 14 debut for Western Force last year when he was only 17 and then became the second-youngest player to represent the Wallabies.

In this short period of time he has honed his craft as a ball distributor and also increased his strength and power to engage in the physical contest.

He has increased his weight from about 82kg to 87kg, but it is lean muscle.

"It makes a lot of difference, power-wise," O'Connor said. "I've focused on keeping my speed but I'll be a lot better in contact.

"I've learnt how to control the team a lot better. It's not all flair. I've added a bit of balance to my game."

A five-eighth or inside centre at school, O'Connor first gained prominence with Australia's sevens team.

Towards the end of the last Super 14 season, Force coach John Mitchell started O'Connor at inside centre against the Chiefs and it was obvious a special talent had arrived.

Despite his youth, O'Connor started the last three games as the Force unsuccessfully attempted to reach the play-offs.

"It was unexpected. I came back from the Australian sevens and the Force gave me a go," O'Connor said.

"It was an awesome experience. I made a few breaks against the Chiefs and that gave me confidence."

O'Connor's impressive performance for the Force did not escape the attention of Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who took him on the tour of Hong Kong and Europe last November.

Deans had a different position in mind for O'Connor, fullback, but his role would remain similar.

Under Deans's attacking system, the fullback plays as a third ball distributor along with the five-eighth and inside centre and O'Connor was ideally suited to the role.

"I had mainly played 10 and 12, but the message was clear. Robbie wanted to develop me as a 15," O'Connor said.

"Robbie wanted the fullback to play like a ball player in the second wave of attack."
    O'Connor made his Test debut at fullback against Italy in Padua, coming on for the final 15 minutes of Australia's narrow win.

"I got a taste for Test rugby against Italy and I loved it," O'Connor said.

Deans showed tremendous faith in O'Connor when he started him at fullback for the Wallabies' final tour match against the Barbarians at Wembley, which was effectively an extra Test.

The Jake White-coached Barbarians were studded with great players, including the nucleus of the 2007 World Cup winning Springboks, but the young Australians caused a major upset. "We wanted to win and we played Test match football," O'Connor said. "Our focus was on defence and using the ball efficiently and we came away with the win. I learnt a lot from the tour."

Despite his promising performances at fullback, O'Connor was more comfortable at inside centre, particularly at the Force.

"The Force have a competitive backline. Matt Giteau at 10 and Cameron Shepherd at 15. The only opening for me is at 12 with the Force and there's a couple of blokes going for that spot.

"I feel more comfortable at 12 as a second ball player. I also like 15. You definitely get a lot of space. I just want to get on the field whether it is 10, 12 or 15."

O'Connor came off the bench at inside centre in the Force's disappointing loss to the Blues in the opening round of the Super 14 in Perth last Friday.

But he is hopeful of getting a start against the Cheetahs in Perth on Friday.
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...2-2722,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    The West are advertising that James O’Connor will have a live blog today between 3pm-4pm. You can post your comments and check details on the link below.

http://blogs.thewest.com.au/general/...james-oconnor/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!