Utility back Scott Staniforth is focusing on playing for the Force this year

February 16, 2009 WESTERN Force utility back Scott Staniforth has cast aside his Wallaby aspirations for the moment as he switches his full attention to making a successful Super 14 return from his latest round of knee surgery.
Staniforth has undergone three operations on his left knee since the start of last year, all related to cartilage problems.

The 31-year-old cut corners after the first two operations in his attempt to stay in the frame for Wallabies selection but the plan backfired badly, with his knee failing to cope with the load on both occasions.

Staniforth, who has not played since his troublesome knee flared again during the Force's off-season tour of the UK last August, has taken the safe option this time around, believing the slow and steady approach will pay dividends in the long term.

Although Staniforth is desperate to add to his 12 caps for the Wallabies, he said he owed it to himself to get his body 100 per cent right before daring to dream of a national recall.

"I've learnt from my mistakes,'' Staniforth said.

"Being one of the older blokes here now I know better than to rush things.

"It's been a long five months with the physios and doctors but the last two weeks I've been training and ticking all the boxes so now hopefully I can put my hand up for selection this weekend.

"I had the operation at the end of last year but I probably took a few shortcuts in that operation trying to get back playing again.

"I wanted to try and get back into the Wallaby frame.

"In doing that I came back a bit early and did a bit more damage so this time I thought I'd take the long haul, get it right and make sure everything's been ticked before I play again.''

Staniforth, a 91-game Super veteran equally adept on the wing as in the centres, said he was ready to play a 30-minute cameo role for the Force off the bench against the Cheetahs at Subiaco Oval on Friday night.

"Having three operations in the space of nearly 12 months, my muscles in my legs have really faded away, and at the moment they are probably 80, 90 per cent back,'' Staniforth said.

"So they could probably run for about 30 minutes but after that that's when they'll fatigue and get weak, and that's when I'm more likely to get injured, so realistically I'm looking at coming off the bench for 20 or 30 minutes on Friday night.''

With Ryan Cross (shoulder) in doubt, Staniforth could be called upon to play a role at outside centre, but he is more likely to get a role on the wing late in the match.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au:80/story...-23210,00.html