Thread: Western Force battle through troubles to stand united

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force battle through troubles to stand united

Western Force battle through troubles to stand united

Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer
    February 07, 2009 05:31pm

THE Western Force has put on a stoic face over the controversy and in-fighting that has dogged the build-up to Friday's 2009 Super 14 opener.
    While some rifts are far from healed and all is not sweetness and light behind the scenes, players have painted a positive picture on the training paddock.

But this has to be the season when the Force proves its worth.

With 17 players off contract this year and another three who could go if they do not take up the contract option of another year, the club could face a tough future.

A good showing this year would go a long way towards convincing some of those players to stay.

And if they can put the problems behind them, there is seemingly no reason why the Force cannot make the finals.

Coach John Mitchell has depth at his disposal in a squad that boasts enough strike-power to mount a real finals challenge.

There may be a sense of pre-season momentum, but there needs to be an air of authority and ruthlessness.

Captain Nathan Sharpe, returning from a career-boosting Wallabies tour, can bring that presence to the team.

Scott Fava may have moved on, but the back row looks strong with David Pocock and Richard Brown improved out of sight.

There is real depth with Tamaiti Horua, desperate to return to form after injury; David Pusey, who fell out of favour with Mitchell last year; and the terrier-like Matt Hodgson all out to prove a point.

The back-line is littered with stars _ Matt Giteau, Ryan Cross, Scott Staniforth, Cameron Shepherd, Drew Mitchell, Junior Pelesasa, James O'Connor, Haig Sare and Josh Tatupu.

There is no doubt Mitchell will play horses for courses in the No.12 jumper, the most difficult position defensively on the field.

But he faces a Catch 22 situation whether to play the experienced Staniforth if fully fit, Pelesasa, Tatupu or the youthful O'Connor, because giving the teenager game time may encourage him to re-sign.

The halfback battle between Chris O'Young and newly arrived Josh Valentine can only be good for the club.

The Force had been on a pre-season hunt for a new tighthead prop.

The NZ Rugby Union would not release main target Tim Fairbrother from the Hurricanes, nor could the Force snare South Africa brothers Jannie and Bismarck du Plessis, but it did pick up Ben Castle from Toulon two weeks ago.

He will fight A.J.Whalley and Troy Takiari for the tighthead spot, joining Pek Cowan or Gareth Hardy and Tai McIsaac in the probable front-row run-on side.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    SEVENTEEN PLAYERS! That is a lot.

Pretty decent article though.. A nice, positive spin to it

And if they can put the problems behind them, there is seemingly no reason why the Force cannot make the finals.
    Damn right!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    very truthful article, teams move through cycles as contracts are finished we all knew at the start that after 3-4 years a lot of players would be coming out of contracts, this is the strongest and most balanced squad ( and fittest if you want to look at the record breaking pre-season) weve had since day one, if we are going to make the finals this has to be our season because next year maybe 6-7 of the current squad may not be playing for the force.....

vCash
    Nothing new in that article, last years news in a feb paper...

17 plus 3 with options that's 20 players…. about 2/3s of the squad. The Brumbies have 10 or so going off contract... there will be of player movement at the end of this S14 in all teams... You would have to expect some will stay and some will go, this could be greatly affected by key players staying or going... Players want opportunity...

vCash
    guessing this could be another positive out of the Global Mess - getting the impression that there will be less in Europe to go to - they may have to stay

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Nothing new in that article, last years news in a feb paper...

17 plus 3 with options that's 20 players…. about 2/3s of the squad. The Brumbies have 10 or so going off contract... there will be of player movement at the end of this S14 in all teams... You would have to expect some will stay and some will go, this could be greatly affected by key players staying or going... Players want opportunity...

yeh come end of season they will realise perth is a great place

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    yeh come end of season they will realise perth is a great place
    to leave...

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Perth - Bloemfontein by the sea, all the ex-saffa's love us, even if Sydney doesn't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Perth - Bloemfontein by the sea, all the ex-saffa's love us, even if Sydney doesn't
    Why is that? Sydney doesn't have a problem with Perth most Sydney-siders wouldn't even release how far away it is...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He will fight A.J.Whalley and Troy Takiari for the tighthead spot, joining Pek Cowan or Gareth Hardy and Tai McIsaac in the probable front-row run-on side. Let's not commit ourselves too much Nick, perhaps you should have put Holmes in there as part of the "probable" front row too

One thing is for sure, twenty players aren't going to find homes at other S14 teams so not all of them would go if they are eyeing a test cap.
    Also, with another year I don't buy this Gits leads JO'C follows capper either.
    If Gits leaves, what now capped player in his right mind would leave a virtual automatic Flyhalf starting position to be someone's understudy, that's nonsense.
    Fair enough it was a reason to come here but I would be amazed if it becomes a reason to leave.
    Likewise there are many opportunities for others to "come of age" in both leadership and positional aspects in a Giteau-less Force.
    A strong showing the season of course will help but there will need to be some major fall out between now and the end of season for a mass exodous.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Why is that? Sydney doesn't have a problem with Perth most Sydney-siders wouldn't even release how far away it is...
    It's closer to Zim & South Africa? Don't really know why it appears to be a popular place to settle.
    I don't have a problem with Sydney (yet I feel like making a 10 things I hate about Sydney list just to annoy any journalists eyes), I'd actually like to get there and have a better look around. Last time I was there I was having problems with social phobia, not a good combination with the cast of thousands around every corner that you experience in Sydney.

vCash
    Only time will truely tell, but the attitude of the players appears to be all positive right now.
    I would be really suprised if a mass exodus was to happen. Players usually don't achieve personal best levels of fitness when they are unhappy.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't think I could like Sydney. I first spent time there for the full two weeks of the Olympics and it was like a big friendly country town with everyone saying g'day and being polite, I think probably because all the Sydneysiders had feld and rented out their houses for the fortnight, I was told that it certainly wasn't normally like that.
    I've been back a couple of times for shorter stays and they were right, which is sad.
    So now I have the original image in my head of how it should be and the reality of when I visit to bugger it all up again.
    So it would seem, there's nothing wrong with Sydney except it's full of Sydneysiders...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It's closer to Zim & South Africa? Don't really know why it appears to be a popular place to settle.
    I don't have a problem with Sydney (yet I feel like making a 10 things I hate about Sydney list just to annoy any journalists eyes), I'd actually like to get there and have a better look around. Last time I was there I was having problems with social phobia, not a good combination with the cast of thousands around every corner that you experience in Sydney.
    There are some excellent places to go in Sydney and the worst of places...

vCash
    Only time will truely tell, but the attitude of the players appears to be all positive right now.
    I would be really suprised if a mass exodus was to happen. Players usually don't achieve personal best levels of fitness when they are unhappy.
    The truth is everyone has to do well to get a contract next year whether they go or stay... they all know they need to get on with the task at hand... the coaching staff know this as well...

Once the season starts they'll likely slip back into the same practice…lets hope it works out and the Force get good results...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast