Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Last-gasp England win Wellington crown

Last-gasp England win Wellington crown

(IRB.COM) Saturday 7 February 2009

Print
    Email

Ben Gollings scored the winning conversion in the final for England

Ben Gollings held his nerve to convert Isoa Damu's breakaway try in the dying seconds to beat New Zealand by the slender margin of two points and claim a first NZI Sevens title for England.
    New Zealand looked on course for victory after leading throughout but England captain Ollie Phillips inspired the fightback and Damu's try at the death pulled the English level, leaving Gollings with a conversion in front of the posts.
    As a result of the NZI Sevens Plate winners South Africa remain top of the IRB Sevens World Series standings with 48 points ahead of England and New Zealand, who both have 44 points. Argentina and Fiji lie a further 16 points behind on 28.
    New Zealand scored first in the final through Paul Grant and there were further tries for the hosts by Zar Lawrence and captain DJ Forbes, but Ollie Phillips' try inspired the beginnings of the comeback for England, who played the entire tournament with only 11 men.
    Robert Vickerman's try brought the score to 17-12 in New Zealand's favour and, with the final hooter already sounded, Damu scampered over under the posts. Gollings made no mistake to make the final score 19-17.

South Africa beat Wales to Plate
    World Series after the first two events in Dubai and George, South Africa had to make do with the Plate competition after losing to New Zealand in the Cup quarter finals, but finished on a high by beating Wales in the final.
    The Boks take eight points toward the overall Series race.
    Craig Hill and Lee Williams scored for the plucky Welsh in the final but the South Africans were too fit and too slick, scoring four tries through Renfred Dazel, Paul Delport, Vuyo Zangqa and outstanding forward Frankie Horne.
    Earlier Wales beat Fiji in a tight match 14-12 to reach the final before South Africa saw off the stubborn challenge of the USA.

Cooks stun Australia and Tonga to take Bowl

The Cook Islands produced one of the performances of the day to overwhelm rugby giants Australia 21-10 and then beat Pacific rivals Tonga 24-10 to take the Bowl.
    Jamal Brogan scored a hat trick of tries in the final and there was also a try for Patella Tou. Alaska Taufa and Ualosi Kailea scored for Tonga.

The winner of the Bowl competition also takes two points towards the IRB Sevens World Series.

Scotland beat Niue to Shield
    Niue shocked 2006 Wellington Cup winners Samoa to reach the Shield final at the Westpac but came up against a determined Scotland, who beat them 26-0 to finish their Wellington campaign on a high.
    Andrew Easson scored two tries for the Scots and there were further scores for Roland Reid and Andrew Turnbull.

Reaction
    USA coach Al Caravelli
    On playing Argentina, the country he represented as a player in Sevens
    "My father was one of the youngest players to ever play for the Argentine national team," said Caravelli.

"I moved to Argentina when I was 14 years old so I had the opportunity to play for Argentina Under 18s and I also played for Argentina Sevens.

"I thought I was going to be in Argentina for the rest of my life and after the Faulkland war I moved on to university in the States. I'm born in the US but my second country and my second home is definitely Argentina and Buenos Aires."

http://www.irb.com/irbsevens/edition...llington+crown

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Are so Pete Betham was in Wellington this week with the AUS 7s.....i want to see him play some S14...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well done Australia, been training with the 1st XI or something

Gollings seems to have a strange kicking style

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    And what of Kenya? Coming from 5-17 to win 22-17 against series leaders South Africa and topping their pool. A quarter final victory against Wales (who'd shocked New Zealand on day 1) before a semi finals loss to eventual winners England.

Its going to be a great World Cup for us (not so sure about Australia though).

vCash
    Ben Gollings plays in the QLD Premier Grade, his playing for the Gold Coast this year, he usually plays for Sunnybank.