Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Where to for Rugby Union in USA

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

Ex- Speed isn't really the be all and end all in rugby. We had Brett Stapleton in the Force squad and despite his blistering speed he never really showed enough of the other skills required to make it in big time rugby.
    I agree James - Wide Receivers are required to run "play patterns" stop, prop, turn and catch a ball and then get hit by a monster generally 30kgs heavier then him who likes to used the top of his helmet as a weapon and catch a ball, you gotta admit thats some pretty useful skills.

and you want to something amazing - watch a wide receiver catch a ball full stretch in the air then make sure both feet land "inbounds" before coming crashing to earth. Their situational awareness is awesome

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I agree James - Wide Receivers are required to run "play patterns" stop, prop, turn and catch a ball and then get hit by a monster generally 30kgs heavier then him who likes to used the top of his helmet as a weapon and catch a ball, you gotta admit thats some pretty useful skills.

and you want to something amazing - watch a wide receiver catch a ball full stretch in the air then make sure both feet land "inbounds" before coming crashing to earth. Their situational awareness is awesome
    True, true. That are pretty specky athletes. I used to watch a fair bit of NFL and I do think a lot of players would get very troublesome on the wings. I still marvel at the way Drew Mitchell grounded the ball against the Stormers in 08 for the Force's first try of the match though. Brilliant. Check it out if its on youtube.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Watched some of the Superbowl and actually enjoyed it; Two points about gridiron players transcending to rugby; Whilst the athleticism of some of these wide recievers etc is pretty bloody impressive- stamina would be crucial; and what about the body armour and helmets? I imagine it would have to be hard to get used to not having a hard hat! Not to say its impossible to convert, especially if one is young enough. After all, Aussie rules teams have picked up gaelic footballers and converted them with some success.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Normie I think the biggest stumbling block is money - even the non-stars minimum pay is probably higher then what Gits is getting in a year

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    agreed Exile

NFL Salary Cap for 2009 is $123 million (US Dollars,)

here in Australia the NRL Salry cap is $4.1 million and the AFL is $8.81 million for a bit of perspective

vCash
    When you look at it from a pure "dollars and cents" perspective; the chances of professional rugby in the States seem a bit slim. That's why it is imperative to grow the game from American youth.. Sports isn't always purely mercenary; kids want to play the games they love.. If an American kid has a chance for a free education AND making an-above-average salary for playing professionally, he will do so. It wasn't too long ago that most professional athletes here were middle class wage earners. In fact, it's a big point of argument amongst us baseball fans as to why the game was better.. Making the playoffs meant extra $$$ so a player could avoid taking a second job in the off season, therefore they played harder.. I know, ... but I truly believe that the sport of rugby sells itself.. I mean, I became an avid follower in my late 30's, if I'd had known about rugby 20 years ago I could have been a danger to others, rather than a danger only to myself..

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was having a dig around the other night, I believe the CBA rate for a first year NFL player was around $US245,000.

In '06 one of our mid level experienced Props moved to Perth for around $AU110,000

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Good find Burgs, so let's suppose you're a young university rooster, a talented but maybe misfit(for various reasons: size/speed or-from a backwater school with no credentials) footballer with some rugby experience; given the odds: would you A) walk on as a footballer, with little chance of success; or B) accept a rugby scholarship; with full benefits and exposure to top professional scouts - supposing you loved each game equally? All I'm tryin' to get at is: Given some sort of exposure plus incentive, great American athletes will play rugby..and American fans will watch.. We love speed, skill, and collisions(some of us just like the collisions)..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think only people like yourself could answer the first part Thunder however, in relation to the your last part, I think (assuming a growth) that the US would develop their own style of play which would possibly attempt to be more confrontational in the Backs than perhaps Australian Rugby is.
    I could see more of the Mortlock/Staniforth mould at #12 for instance than a Gits or JO'C as your (new) audience would be keen for the big hit up first and second phase movements before spreading it wide.
    That is not a bad thing, it adds more variety to the global experience.

Last edited by Burgs; 06-02-09 at 15:59.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Attacking Rugby Would Sell Tickets - definitely- yeah, Crash, Crash, Boom! everybody loves.. - But a #12 or 13 sidestepping, creating a linebreak that leads to 3 or 4 passes = 50+ meter try is just as appealing.. I think the ELVs are a blessing to USA rugby even if we haven't discovered how to use them yet!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I've no doubt the kids will play. The risk isn't there, it is the poaching that could then occur - we have enough problems with the NRL and European clubs, I can't even imagine the threat posed by a $123M salary cap! It is likely that the same effect would be as here - lots, maybe even most, of the very best and brightest will go to other sports. There will still be some great players stay for the love of the game or the international opportunities, but the competition will be seen in a lack depth.

vCash
    I see your concern AndyS; but I don't think North American Rugby will pose a significant threat to the Southern Hemisphere - North America will never dominate the sport, but, given the exposure, our teams could compete anywhere on the globe, maybe even make a run at an RWC Final..our rugby future is that of equal competitors - the big $$$ of North America's Big 4, plus our culture are factors that don't bode well for an American Takeover of rugby... I think I posted earlier on the wish for 1.65 million registered rugby players here.. that number would put us on par with the top rugby nations, not above them.. This is a great point of conjecture; somewhat similar to baseball v. cricket... I remember the Boston Red Sox offering Ricky Ponting a contract to play baseball a few years ago... Ponting's response was that although flattered, he'd stick w/cricket..just as I'd imagine a baseball player's response, or an NFL star to Rugby...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Re-reading my post, it wasn't my best effort - I wasn't expressing concern for us, more feeling the pain for Rugby US. You'll be in the shadow of established sports, probably even more so than us. As you say though, you at least have the advantage of big starting numbers.

There will undoubtedly be a niche, and like you I suspect it could be quite a good one. League might (hopefully) be seen as a little same-same with American football, whereas Union probably has more differences. I have no doubt American rugby will be competitive, but probably not the juggernaut it could be.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Those interested in the topic may also be interested on this thread from the Roar:
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/02/07...ca/#more-14996

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Very encouraging piece Burgs!! More interest = better athletes = more exposure, which, interestingly enough = Even more interest.. wait, I've just confused myself by sheer enthusiasm..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3