Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Membership v Fan Base

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Membership v Fan Base

Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    With a membership that has dropped 10,000 in 3 years?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Jargs forgive me for highjacking your quote from a different thread.

I have a question to ask the gang.

Its a bit of a numbers game.

The Whole Force has over 1800 members. But we dont have 1800 post contributors, if we did I would imagine that Coach would be having all sorts of headaches with respect to bandwith and download are concerned.

in 2006 EWF had 21000+ paid up members, we are now down to 11000+ members. Does that mean tha the Good Sammy stores have an influx of second hand Force-wear?

Just because the amount of people willing to part with their hard earned cash to be a card carrying member of EWF has reduced does that mean they dont love the Force anymore?

It is possible that some off-field incidents may have had some members hand in their cards, jerseys caps et-all and never had another Sea-of-Blue thought in their life ever again.

But what is more likely is this;

TWF is not yet a fair cross section, nor a complete representation of Force Fans.

Force Fans are out there. We have proven in the past that numbers are powerful when put to use.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Jargs forgive me for highjacking your quote from a different thread.
    You are forgiven, so long as it isn't taken out of context. I was demonstrating that Subiaco is rubbish wasn't I?

vCash
    Ex, I'm not sure where the question was in that, so I'll throw down a few random thoughts of my own

It's pretty well appreciated that the membership at start up was beyond anyone's imagination, not only did the apparently attract alot of rugby fans in a 'non-rugby' state, they did it in numbers never seen in the heartland. For all the 'expats'- Eastern staters, people from the UK and SA/NZ perhaps they were so glad to see S14 rugby come to Perth they were falling all over themselves to sign up. For the locals, the culture of being a member of your club has (IMHO) come over from AFL.
    Drop off was inevitable. No doubt some people went to see what it's about, weren't enthused and didn't return, though there's probably plenty of other reasons for not renewing- availability for games, cash pressures, the Subi experience. No one should attempt to judge how much someone loves the based on what they spent on membership. It is reasonable though, in many cases to suspect that if someone isn't going to the games, and doesn't have foxtel there may be an element of 'out of sight, out of mind' come into play. No matter how dearly you think you love something, if you never see or hear of it, you may gradually begin to care less and less.

The reason membership numbers constantly get dragged out I guess is that it's an easy measure to grab onto in today's KPI obsessed world (next stop will be attendences).

I was talking with Mum about the meet the players day, and something she said was worth repeating. We're actually really lucky to have the Force here, and all the effort they put into marketing and getting people involved in the club. The year my sister was a member at the Tahs she went to a lunch of some description (can't remember if it was season launch or whatever) and she said the players were tucked away in a corner somewhere to mingle with the VIPs and didn't venture out to say hi to the plebs once. So even if it is born out of necessity being in an AFL state, I appreciate that they're trying hard to value all their supporters and get them involved, not necessarily just the ones paying the bulk of the bills.

Last edited by Swee_82; 02-02-09 at 12:13.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Thanks Swee - I got distracted and Posted prematurely. Its never happened before.

The points I was trying to make is this: Our KPI - Memberships isnt the best indicator. Our Fan base would be very difficult to calculate. Perhaps Jess could get some figures for merchandise sold that would be a better indicator.ie Hats or Jerseys sold.

The other point is that even if the EWF have 11000 members, TWF with 1800 is only a 16% representation and take in to account that not all TWF members are EWF members plus the number of people who have 2 or more log-ins plus the people who registered and never returned for what ever reason TWF would be hard to be considered a true representation of the EWF membership.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Coach has the figures of the number is page loads a day and its BIG.

So there are fans who may not be members of TWF but read here regularly.

May be time to hand out some TWF cards again or a TWF banner behind an airplane

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Thanks Swee - I got distracted and Posted prematurely. Its never happened before.
    I bet that's what you tell all the girls

With reference to membership numbers I suspect that a lot of people have difficulty changing allegiances. The 18,000 at MES as an example, there were (by the noise) as many crusaders supports as force supporters.
    I suspect then that people who go to a game fall into a few different categories.

1) people who love rugby of all sorts and so become members
    2) people who love rugby but especially games involving their (traditional) team and so come along to games involving their team and maybe a few others
    3) people who like to watch the odd game if it's going to be a good one.

Champion
    vCash
    Interesting reading, people are always reluctant to committ to something fence sitters"" I feel the fans will come back next week u watch they will rock up. I cant blame them buying thier tickets on the day really given the recession we are having Its not cheap $425 for 7 games in a shit stadium.
    I have heaps of rugby friends who refuse to buy season tickets out on principle becasue of Subi. They say they can buy Foxtel with the money they save?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Coach has the figures of the number is page loads a day and its BIG.

So there are fans who may not be members of TWF but read here regularly.

May be time to hand out some TWF cards again or a TWF banner behind an airplane
    Last month TWF had 19,204 visitors (7804 of those were unique visitors) who viewed 186,910 pages on TWF.

Last year we served over 2 million pages to some 224,120 visitors (of which 84,422 were unique) from 174 countries/territories.

Half of these visitors came from people searching Google and clicking through to a page on TWF.

I was gonna list the countries people have visited from, but thougt for brevity, I'd list those we had no visitors from: North Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Madagascar, Central African Republic, Chad, Niger, Cameroon, Congo - Brazzaville, Equatorial Guinea, Sierra Leone, Mali, Guinea-Bissau, Gambia, Western Sahara, Burundi, Swaziland, Suriname, Guyana, Honduras, and Greenland.

Last edited by Darren; 02-02-09 at 12:58. Reason: Added countries
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    yeah,, those dodgy Madagascans!!!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Lemurs have trouble typing in the URL...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Champion
    vCash
    Membership drive in Greenland and Western Sahara, thats the answer our sister countries.......... Sahara there must be some good scrummagers there

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Another reason is you don't need to be a member to get a seat at Subi.
    You can just rock up to the gate and buy a ticket if you feel the urge on the night.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Another reason is you don't need to be a member to get a seat at Subi.
    You can just rock up to the gate and buy a ticket if you feel the urge on the night.
    and lets face it - if you did that through the entire season it is a much cheaper way of buying tickets!!! Why are members slugged so much for a season pass where walk-ins get cheaper tickets and are free to move around to better seats ???

vCash
    The other thing with membership that people tend to overlook is that this population is largely fly in fly out at a guess maybe 20-30 of all workers in the state travel to work - especially those out in the Burbs - that and shift work invovling a Friday/Saturday shift makes in uneconomical to actually buy a membership.

That and Subi is not the best are the most common reasons for not renewing.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    ... For the locals, the culture of being a member of your club has (IMHO) come over from AFL.
    Not intending this to be a smackdown, and I do understand what you're saying, but this isn't necessarily the case. Club membership started before that invasion.

I've never been a gayFL member, but am an active member of EWF, East Perth Football Club and the local wrestling mob EPW (as a spectator not participant). I have also been a member of Perth Heat and Perth Wildcats in the past. There are a number of people who are members of East Perth and the Weagles or the Dorkers. God knows why. Just as bad I guess are the EWF members also being Weagles/Dockers members.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast