Thread: John Mitchell on the right track

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

John Mitchell on the right track

John Mitchell on the right track

By Jon Geddes

February 02, 2009 12:00am

WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell has revealed how walking the Kokoda Track helped him deal with the dramas that have enveloped him and his team in the countdown to the 2009 Super 14 season.
    Mitchell yesterday spoke frankly about his situation as the Force await the outcome of an inquiry by retired judge Robert Anderson QC amid allegations that the coach had alienated players and staff.

"It taught me a lot about life and reminded me a lot about life," Mitchell said of the Kokoda Track walk, which he did in September.

"It was also special to understand a bit about the Australian spirit that exists when you are backed into a corner. I like to think I am a fighter and am totally committed. And under pressure I still like to act very professionally, with dignity."

Mitchell admits the demands of following in the footsteps of Australia's courageous Diggers during World War II in Papua New Guinea had helped modify his approach heading into the Super 14 campaign.

There were times while negotiating the unforgiving terrain when Mitchell questioned what he was doing. But the rewards made it all worthwhile.

"It's allowed me to reflect and refresh my perspective on leadership," he said.

"I am clearly evolving and being a lot more consultative and inclusive in the process.

"Certainly I have to evolve and I have no issues with that."

As for his relationships with players and staff, Mitchell said: "Like any person in any organisation I have to earn people's respect and that won't come through talking about it. It will come through being consistent throughout the campaign."

One of the biggest issues has been the reported falling-out between Mitchell and star back Matt Giteau.

"I've always had a very good relationship there," Mitchell said, adding that the great thing about the link between a top player and a coach was being able to challenge each other_ which he and Giteau did.

Mitchell believes that what the team has been through will make them stronger in this year's Super 14.

"Everyone's energy has been focused on what is important and I think that has been quite powerful," he said.

And despite all that has happened, he has lost none of his enthusiasm for the job, declaring that he had been committed from day one to seeing his contract through to 2011.

http://www.news.com.au:80/dailyteleg...006067,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    A positive article from an eastern states paper.

my uncle fought in PNG during WW2.
    His comment about people walking 'the track' was usually "if you think that's tough try doin' it with people shootin' atcha!"

vCash
    Great to see Mitch is still committed to the Force, I sincerely hope that things work out for him and the playing group.

I still believe very strongly that he is the best coach for us, and believe that the job he has done so far is outstanding. Who would have thought in three short years he would have already nutured the potential of some fringe Super 14 players and made them into Wallabies or at least put them on the Wallaby radar.

Good on you Mitch, heres to three great years so far and hopefully to many more at the Force

vCash
    Glad Mitch is still committed and if he feels he's evolved a bit as a coach and man-manager then even better. I'd be interested if there are any other reports coming out from whatever he had to say yesterday- it says he was 'speaking frankly' about all the drama, but the article is mainly about his trek. Would be interested to hear what else he had to say.

MI5- when you see how hard it is for people to do the track these days, it's really quite unimaginable that your uncle had to do it, weighted down with all his kit, being shot at.

vCash
    It's amazing what those men (boys) went through.
    You also have to think that they were moving up the track, then carrying their mates down it, only to turn around and trudge up it again all while under sniper fire and in tropical rain.

Makes a rugby game look like a 30 man garden party with cucumber sandwiches.

My uncle was a daft bugger as he ended up going to Vietnam as well

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    A positive article from an eastern states paper.

my uncle fought in PNG during WW2.
    His comment about people walking 'the track' was usually "if you think that's tough try doin' it with people shootin' atcha!"
    My Grandpa was on 'the track' after manning the Oliver Hill cannons on Rottnest. I always laugh about the fact he got a promotion on Rottnest because he was one of the only ones who could use a slide-rule (early form of calculator). Ahh simpler times.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.