Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Ben Castle the goods.......opinion from the Waikato

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    He always seemed to me as the epitomy of a seagulling prop, disinterested in getting involved at the clean-out but always eager to get his hands on it at second receiver. That may be unfair though - he may have just been to slow to get to the breakdown. But both are just fading impressions, and he maybe did look a bit better in the Baabaas game (although worth noting that it wasn't ELVs). I'd also be interested in TOCC's take on it, having probably paid a deal more attention.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Rodders was looking pretty fit (well as fit as huuuge props get) for the Baa Baas against the wallabies. He had a point to prove against the men in gold and won a points decision. The ELV's may have sounded the death knell of +120KG props however.

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

vCash
    Rodzilla, yeah he was a crowd favourite.. but his greatest attribute was his greatest weakness, the ability to consume tonnes of food.

Rodney had a fantastic 2006 season, he had a full pre-season behind him and he was fit and healthy. He won the Reds player of the year in 2006 and went on to play for the Wallabies in 2006 as well..

In 2007, Rodney was playing pretty good rugby for the Reds and then he injured his ankle/foot, there was a bit of a argument as to whether he should play the rest of the S14 season for the Reds or get surgery straight away and get ready for the RWC. Under the guidance of ARU staff he went for the option of getting surgery straight away, he was back from injury in time for RWC selection but since he hadnt played or ran for 6months he was incredibly unfit. So he missed out on the RWC, i believe he may have injured himself again late in 2007?

2008, last year he was still lacking fitness and i think that it was perceived as a lack of motivation, anyway since he was unfit he wasnt even the starting Reds prop, hence the ARU didnt offer him a wallaby top-up.

I think what Rodney needs is weekly rugby, he needs to be constantly active to maintain his fitness, something which the S14 doesnt offer and the T14 does.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I guess my point was - and bringing it back to Ben Castle as well. That if you want a young prop to learn some scrumaging technique, you would send them to Europe where the scrum is treated with the respect it deserves.

Think of it as short term pain for long term gain.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    i get you, i just dont think the aru has a plan for it!
    i think they would view it more as losing a player than having a postive!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    ...and an admission that they are incapable of finding a solution to Australia's forward woes.

vCash
    well the much trumped prop school was meant to go to qld wasnt it, i thought deans and JON announced this shortly after his appointment then eddie jones came out and said it was all his idea, but it hasnt happened cos the ballymore funding got cut!

i remember this going on, i may be way wrong, can someone with research skills explore this point i may or may not have made up?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    my final point about Rod going to Europe to learn his scrumaging is this;

you dont think his manager after being told that QLD didnt want to re-sign him wouldnt have got in contact with the ARU High performance Manager at the time and said - " I cant get a contract for Rod in Australia, we might have to go to Europe" - and the HPM says - "good luck in Europe - we still see a future for the big fella in a couple of years, please dont sign anything more then a 3 year deal."

Thats what I would have done.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    fully understand and agree with you exhile, i just think with the number of props we have in this country if rodders had something to offer another franchise would have picked him up. the force have added castle two weeks before kick off, if rodders was worth anything they could have got him for a full pre season and long term!

vCash
    Rodzilla will suit the NH style of rugby better anyway and he'll learn alot up there as well and eventually the wallabies may benefit from it. If the ELV's stay then I agree with Chisel the days of the 120+keg props will be gone and we'll need fitter more agile front row players so Roddy boy may ben in need of regular sauna sessions.

Shame but I still think we need a few fat men in the team up forward.

vCash
    I dont think we will see the end of the 120kg prop with ELV's, there will continue to be a strong focus on scrums and it will continue to be used as a attacking weapon, meaning sides wont be able to neglect the front row.

You wont see fat wrecks running around in the future under ELV's, props will be forced to come more conditioned, but really its just the ever evolving of rugby under professionalism, all players are having to have a higher level of fitness and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    my final point about Rod going to Europe to learn his scrumaging is this;

you dont think his manager after being told that QLD didnt want to re-sign him wouldnt have got in contact with the ARU High performance Manager at the time and said - " I cant get a contract for Rod in Australia, we might have to go to Europe" - and the HPM says - "good luck in Europe - we still see a future for the big fella in a couple of years, please dont sign anything more then a 3 year deal."

Thats what I would have done.
    QLD did want to resign him, the ARU werent offering the contract top-up, which meant he was a bargain for any NH side.

vCash
    resurrecting this one as i found an old article from G&GR that basically bagged out the Force and Castle for his signing with us..

made for an interesting read...http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/eve...-up-the-force/

i dare say they were vindicated in the signing as he was good value throughout 2010... Cheers Ben and thanks for all the Paua

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

But yeah damn straight. Beat all the other Aussie S14 sides that year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    resurrecting this one as i found an old article from G&GR that basically bagged out the Force and Castle for his signing with us..

made for an interesting read...http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/eve...-up-the-force/

i dare say they were vindicated in the signing as he was good value throughout 2010... Cheers Ben and thanks for all the Paua
    I'd rather be stuck with being forced to read Grumbles Growden.

Veteran
    vCash
    absolutely great signing!

He did what a big prop is supposed to do. Anchor, fall into rucks, lift in lineouts and push on maul...

champion!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8