Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Force fortify ranks, sign New Zealand prop Ben Castle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    ...Yet to determine if he is a marquee signing or not as he isn't an AB..... (
    No, but I'll bet he was an AB triallist - you just have to have that accent and you were an AB triallist

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Force secure marquee player

Force secure marquee player Castle

31st January 2009, 8:45 WST

Western Force have secured former Junior All Black and Chiefs prop Ben Castle as their marquee international player for the 2009 season.

The 29-year-old will arrive in Perth tonight, less than two weeks before the Force’s first match of the season against the Blues at Subiaco Oval, and will train with his new teammates tomorrow.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=122220

vCash

another angle on the story

Western Force have swooped on Toulon discard Ben Castle and signed the 2005 Junior All Black tighthead prop for the Super 14 season, which starts in 13 days.

Castle, who represented the Waikato Chiefs for five seasons including 2008, will arrive in Perth today as the Force’s marquee import player and is expected to have a run with his new teammates in the forward pack at McGillivray Oval tomorrow.

Earlier efforts to acquire a foreign tighthead prop came to naught but Toulon’s decision at the start of the month to reduce their overseas contingent played right into the Force’s hands. Rugby manager Mitch Hardy acted swiftly to make an offer for Castle, whose front-row expertise will significantly benefit the Force scrum.

The Australian Rugby Union approved the deal yesterday.

“He fell into our lap,” Hardy said. “It was a nice surprise.”

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=122223

vCash
    marquee? i thought the definition of marquee was to put bums on seats, sounds like he is a bit of a journeyman

vCash
    this news is old already there is another thread on it

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=20057

Last edited by pieter blackie; 31-01-09 at 09:49.

vCash
    this news is old already there is another thread on it
    must spend less time at work ..............

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    must spend less time at work ..............
    LOL it is good news so it doesn't matter how many times it gets posted

Champion
    vCash
    Castle wasnt much chop at Waikato, he will struggle I feel with the pace of the EWF I still feel Takiari, Pek and AJ WILL BE ABLE TO HOLD THERE OWN. I wounder what these guys think of another prop coming in at this late stage all the work these guys have done over the season......I would be abit pissed off if it was me

vCash
    he wasnt that good in NZ, he was probably the 10th ranked prop in the country, whether this translates to been the best prop at the Western Force i dont know.

Either way, he should at least offer more experience, competition and depth for the position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Castle wasnt much chop at Waikato, he will struggle I feel with the pace of the EWF I still feel Takiari, Pek and AJ WILL BE ABLE TO HOLD THERE OWN. I wounder what these guys think of another prop coming in at this late stage all the work these guys have done over the season......I would be abit pissed off if it was me
    Too true BD - Superman, Pek, Boof, Chicken and the Bott are enough - if need more we have Taipan - I think we could have done with 2 more development players - The Brumbies grabbed Ishmael Dollie we could have had someone of a similar ilk - Hawke's Bay Full back Israel Dagg or a big centre like Stephan Dieppenaar who made the Bulls under 21 last year.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Why does everyone see it as so disrespectful to the squads' other two tightheads, AJ and Takiari, that Ben Castle has been brought in? AJ and Takiari are both very mobile props but that comes at the cost that they aren't the greatest of scrummagers. So against the teams where the scrum is under less pressure like the Stormers, Chiefs, Brumbies etc you want the more mobile guys but against a team like the Bulls or the Highlanders who can do to the Force like England did to Australia in 2007 through sheer size and skill you need to have someone who can ensure we aren't caught in that trap.

Aside from that having Castle there is good for their development. He can teach the other guys like Longbottom, AJ and Pek a thing or two. It is also bloody good motivation too. Takiari and AJ will put in 110% to prove to Mitch that they deserve selection and if they don't thats their problem really. He's only here for the four months of the Super 14 so its not like he's pushing anyone else out of the squad.

No 8- Don't you think its a bit hypocritical saying that we don't need more props and should stick with the ones we've got and then suggest another fullback- lets see now whose place would he take? That would be DHP one of the few locals we have.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Rookie
    vCash
    it does push blokes out of the 22 , castle comes in aj or takiari move out. it does nothing for australia or the development of local players

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    If the Force wants to improve membership and make the finals they need to fix the weakest component of their game “Scrum Time”. Time will tell if Castle is the man to do this, personally I hope he is so that we can have a stable basis to deliver top quality ball to undoubtedly the best backline in Australia!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    If the Force wants to improve membership and make the finals they need to fix the weakest component of their game “Scrum Time”. Time will tell if Castle is the man to do this, personally I hope he is so that we can have a stable basis to deliver top quality ball to undoubtedly the best backline in Australia!!!
    Very true, both from the membership perspective (as SGR mentioned) but how many players have mentioned the team's performance as a factor in their contract decisions? If we can shore up what is generally regarded as our weakest area it may be the difference between finishing 6/7 and finals action- and so anyone who's contract is up has the additional consideration of being able to play finals football.
    I've love to make up that gap with local boys, but if we can't, perhaps Castle will be able make a difference on the field, and impart a bit of wisdom to our existing squad off it. Perhaps having a different 'build' of prop (more scrummager vs mobile prop) will allow us a 'horses for courses' approach, depending on the opposition.

Last edited by Swee_82; 02-02-09 at 11:03.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3