Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A different Angle

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

A different Angle

Have a think about this for a minute.

WAFC charge RugbyWA about 1.7million per year for a season of Super14 matches to be held at Subiaco Oval.

thats a fair chunk of change

Imagine if you would for a moment if the Subiaco Council charged the same amount of money to the WAFC for everysingle Aussie Rules match held at Subiaco Oval.

Do you think that Subiaco Oval would be such a waste of space it is right now not only for Aussie Rules but for Rugby?

Do you think that Perth would be looking to spend a Billion Dollars on an Albino Pachyaderm if that money was put back in to Subiaco Oval?

Kind of makes you think how smart the Subiaco council is doesnt it?

You gotta love that One Dollar rent a year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    The $1 a year rent as far as I know was actually brokered by the WA State Government

But the WAFC last I heard/read charges RugbyWA $250,000 a game, so using that amout as you stated for the WAFC to be charged the same would mean the WAFC gets slugged $5.5 Million dollars a year as they own the WA AFL franchises/licences instead of the $1 a year they do. So anything that happens at Subiaco is profit to the WAFC. I wonder where else you find similar circumstances outside of the Mafia.

Having been to a few AFL games last year I would say Subiaco isn't even fit to host an AFL game let alone anything else, I have been to several stadiums around the country and would probably rate Subiaco LAST and I am including all the "suburban" grounds that I went to when I lived in Sydney for Dragons games

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    So 5.5mil plus the 2 Mil from RugbyWA

Plus the millions from hosting the local WAFL games - are they still called that?

gee - there is like 10 million a year that could have been spent on annual upgrades.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I think only the WAFL game still played at Subi is ther Grand Final and the Preliminary Final. I know that there is the club Subiaco, but I am unsure if they actually play their home games at Subiaco oval these days (I'm fairly sure that they don't but could be wrong)

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I think only the WAFL game still played at Subi is ther Grand Final and the Preliminary Final. I know that there is the club Subiaco, but I am unsure if they actually play their home games at Subiaco oval these days (I'm fairly sure that they don't but could be wrong)
    correct...subiaco dont play there (costs too much)...they normally play in leederville

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I believe they use the ground in Leederville that West Perth used to use...name escapes me for the moment.

I am not sure how the ownership of the AFL teams works exactly, but I suspect it is similar to what the NSWRU would be proposing if they got a second S14 team i.e the teams effectively operate as stand-alone entities, paying rent and license to the parent body who is focused on the semi-pro and amateur game. Not a bad model, but certainly helped by effectively owning the main ground and taking money off of Rugby. Under the structure, those rents are not available for upgrading the ground - they are what fund the WAFL. It is why they are so insistent on guaranteed returns from any new stadium.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    no. they play at medibank stadium (my team, east perth, is cotenant). apparently spewbi is used for country teams at times though.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    no. they play at medibank stadium (my team, east perth, is cotenant). apparently spewbi is used for country teams at times though.
    Country teams? What do they do there? Agist their cattle? 'Subiyucko stock yards'

vCash
    Having been to a few AFL games last year I would say Subiaco isn't even fit to host an AFL game let alone anything else, I have been to several stadiums around the country and would probably rate Subiaco LAST and I am including all the "suburban" grounds that I went to when I lived in Sydney for Dragons games
    Spot on Jargs; I went to an AFL game last year can only concur. I can't understand how the weagles and the dorkers fans, have put up with the mediocre facilities in such (relative) silence!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Country teams? What do they do there? Agist their cattle? 'Subiyucko stock yards'
    teams play there during country week and for regional finals or something.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Spot on Jargs; I went to an AFL game last year can only concur. I can't understand how the weagles and the dorkers fans, have put up with the mediocre facilities in such (relative) silence!
    They don't really have much choice! Spending money on anything in W.A. seems to be bad mmmkay

vCash
    why would AFL spend money on facilities in WA?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    why would AFL spend money on facilities in WA?
    when they can get the taxpayers to pay for it instead....

vCash
    i would say that East Fremantle oval (home of the STILL proud sharks) is a better oval to watch AFL from. and it's had sweet F**K all done to it in about 15 years.
    i think they upgraded the changerooms when pink floyd played there wayyy before my time

vCash
    [youtube]NDrPSfCu0Mc[/youtube]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast