Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stadium upgrade could be done in 18 months, claims mayor

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    dont forget that the rugby season is likely to/will be extended in a year or two.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    my thought, stadiums arent monetary investments... they are investments in Civic pride, a value cant exactly be placed upon the worth of stadiums.

IMO, 25'000 at MES is better then 30'000 at Subiaco, think about the supply and demand principle, if demand exceeds supply then the cost will rise. Apply this to the EWF and MES, what you may eventually see, is membership numbers rising so people can be assured a seat at the match, on top of the higher demand people will be more willing to spend more for the membership.

Factor in the fact that MES is a lot cheaper rent wise then Subiaco and this could very well be a good financial move for EWF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsid3 View Post
    Funding the Stadium Upgrade – Ticket Levy

Would you pay a little more to see Rugby the “way it was intended?” . I probably would. What if every ticket purchased for ME Stadium had a $5 upgrade levy attached? Would it stop the Rugby Faithful from coming – probably not. But the result would be:

Super 14 Season – 21,100 tickets * $5 * 7 games - $738,500
    Trial Games - 18,000 tickets *5 *2 - $210,000

Perth Glory – 10 games * 8876 (average home crowd 2008/09 season) - $443,800

7 Concerts p.a. (based on last year) * 20,000 *$5 - $700,000

Rugby league – 2*NRL games @15,000 crowd - $150,000

Total - $2,242,000 collected levy.

This represents a 2.9% “return” which is not huge by investment market standards.

Would a $10 levy be too much? This would kick in just shy of $4.4M or be a 5.8% “return”.

Applied over 5 years and 30% of the cost of the stadium has been found. Add the $25M promised by the state government, and we are about $28M short.

So is your force membership worth an extra $70 bucks per year to move to ME Stadium? But wait, by my maths if the Force are saving $2.0M per annum in rent by moving to ME, that’s about $142 bucks per member (assuming 14,000 members) so if we kick that in the numbers are even better.

Thoughts?
    I have often thought "what if we slugged the punters a couple more bucks" and lets face it, $5 possibly $10 a game isn't a hell of alot.

Cheers for finally putting it in writing. Makes sense in my head and I definately think it is a good idea

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Well I'm not shooting you down, I reckon that RugbyWA would rather have (should any redevelopment go ahead) 25,000 payed up Members then a falling membership and a falling average attendance. I'm sure that having sold out crowds at MES may get the Gorvernment into gear rather then a dwindling attendance at Subi.

In a perfect world I would love to see a 35,00 seat stadium. But World Financial crisis, Royalties for Regions (cheers bumpkins) leave the Goverment with little options
    Perhaps, but it remains specious to use current attendances to say that it will be a good fit. All that can be said is that, whilst it is not ideal, it will be better than less seats and probably better than Subi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Perhaps, but it remains specious to use current attendances to say that it will be a good fit. All that can be said is that, whilst it is not ideal, it will be better than less seats and probably better than Subi.
    I agree with that for sure. But 25,000 sell out is still better then dwindling attendances at Subiaco Oval

vCash

Levy idea

I have often thought "what if we slugged the punters a couple more bucks" and lets face it, $5 possibly $10 a game isn't a hell of alot.

Cheers for finally putting it in writing. Makes sense in my head and I definately think it is a good idea
    Ok not taking a levy into account here and imagining that all the funding is available and the stadium is complete, would it be right to say that tickets at MES may be a little cheaper than to Subiaco because of the ridiculous renting fee?

Now taking into account that it was estimated that $2 million can be divided down to say$140 per member right? And say each game at Subiaco is roughly what 22000? So that is an extra 8000 non-members per game? Some amount of these non-member tickets would go towards rent I assume. There are 7 games a year, 8000 non-member tickets a game, so that 56000 tickets a season. Say each ticket has a Subiaco levy of $5, that would be $280000 a season for rent from non-members. That leaves roughly $120 per member.

So if that was the case member tickets you would think might drop by say $100-120 (maybe only half this because of demand) possibly depending on the level. It might also be possible that gate tickets might be $5 cheaper? i do realize there is definitely going to be supply and demand issues at MES, so this cost reductions may not happen.

If they did it would be great because then a renovation levy wouldn't really affect anyones pockets too greatly at all!!!

All pipe dreams, but the levy is a great idea! I am sure this has all been looked into by rugbyWA, you would assume they are trying their utmost to get his done!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I agree with that for sure. But 25,000 sell out is still better then dwindling attendances at Subiaco Oval
    So long as you assume the trend continues - may be a safe assumption, but it is an assumption nonetheless. A good year on the field and a run on the finals could see average attendances more like the first couple of years, at which point it won't look so appealing. Sell-outs at MES could be even more interesting if and when we make a final - it is not included in the membership, so they will be able to charge what the market will bear. I also wonder what allocations they have to make for opposition supporters, management etc, because it would mean someone missing out if the ground is all membered up.

Most importantly though, every bum in a seat turned away from a sell-out is money out of RugbyWA's pocket. TOCC is right - never mind whether we could bear some extra dollars on the ticket price, that is an inevitability and the only question will be how much before only 24,999 seats are being sold?

As I've said before, I see MES as a necessary tactical move. Doesn't make me a cheerleader though, just a pragmatist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Despite a global financial crisis, a player mutiny and another stadium in Perth demanding a billion dollars of government funds, Mayor of Vincent Nick Catania has boldly predicted the Western Force could have a new home, seating 25,000, within 18 months.
    "And you may not believe that (we can finish it in 18 months) but we built the original in about 11 months and had it open in 15. We will deliver."

i like. i like a lot. this guy is great. 18 months would be fantastic!! i dont think anything in perth has been built in 18 months!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    i dont think anything in perth has been built in 18 months!
    LOL

vCash
    i like. i like a lot. this guy is great. 18 months would be fantastic!! i dont think anything in perth has been built in 18 months!
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    LOL
    It's funny becasue it's true

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I wouldn't even back our politicians to make a baby in that timeframe...

vCash
    i dont think anything in perth has been built in 18 months!
    Seen how fast Mirvac can put a high rise tower up at Burswood?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    i think the workers memorial on the park next to parliament might have been done in that time.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash

“ If you build it, they will come…”

vCash
    Listened to Vince Catana on 6PR on the way home talking to self confessed rugby tragic Howard Sattler. Good coverage for Rugby I thought, giving the impression that Rugby is huge in WA (as it should be!). Key points I recall,

- Anticipated start of construction of upgrade would be Feb next year if they get go-ahead from Government this year.

- 72 million requested is for 3 years, ie, spread over 3 financial years making it a $25 mill/financial year "cost" which should make it more palatable for Government.

- Eastern end to have grandstand (ie, be undercover)

- Corporate boxes to increase from 13 to 35 (I think that's the figures) which EWF have stated as adequate to their needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast