Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell liked what he saw

Mitchell liked what he saw

24/01/2009 7:54 PM
    Chris Pike

Sportal

Related Links

There was plenty for Western Force coach John Mitchell to like in Friday's trial match with the Crusaders despite the loss, most notably Cameron Shepherd's return, Josh Valentine's first appearance and the sold out crowd at Members Equity Stadium.

The Force got off to a good start in front of over 17,000 fans, with the majority of club members voting to move from Subiaco Oval to Members Equity Stadium if the required upgrades can be completed before the 2010 season.

Mitchell has never been involved in a team at any level that has not played at a rectangular stadium before coming to Perth when the Force began, and he is hopeful a deal can be worked out after the Subiaco Oval contract expires at the end of this season.

"We've got the best fans in Super 14. The sea of blue is always great to see and it's encouraging that the rugby season is well on its way to starting," Mitchell said.
    "Coming to the ground I saw the odd Force jumper spilling out of bars, cafes and properties, which is a fine sight to see and it's pleasing to get back into rugby mode. It's absolutely essential to have a rectangular stadium. Ever since I've been involved in rugby, I've always come to one and I'll never change my point of view."

As for the game, the Force got out to a 19-5 lead before the defending champion Crusaders stormed back to win 24-19, but it's more about getting used to playing against stiff competition again that is important to Mitchell's men.

"It was a very strong start, the boys looked highly motivated and there looked to be a good understanding with how we worked together. We went into each 30 with specific strategies and got a good work out," he said.

"Under fatigue at times some of our decisions could have been better, but the only way you learn is doing it against greater resistance and we will now be able to grow our game after the playing the Crusaders. It was fantastic learning for all of us."

"It's only our first hit out so we won't dissect it too seriously. We still have a fair bit to build and a lot to do. We're heading in the right direction and will continue to build on our fitness and game style before Round 1. Fatigue became costly in the end and the purpose of these matches is to get match conditioning, which we certainly got."

Especially in the first of three 30-minute periods, former Wallabies, Waratahs and Reds halfback Josh Valentine looked terrific in his first hit out with the Force, while Shepherd made an encouraging return from his broken leg suffered playing for the Wallabies last winter.

"Valo is a very clever halfback. He provides good continuity to our game and is a constant threat. He looks like he is enjoying himself and other people are feeding off him well," he said.

"I just don't think people understand what young sportsmen go through when they suffer serious injury. It's a huge think to come back from and Cameron's confidence is building on every outing. That's the plan we have on supporting him heading into Round 1 and we are really pleased with his progress."

http://sportal.co.nz/rugby-union-new...t-he-saw-63822

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    God he sounds like an evil bastard doesn't he - NOT - need the next chapter closed the lads need to concentrate on the season.

No mention of the banner - wonder what he thought

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    ... with the majority of club members voting to move from Subiaco Oval to Members Equity Stadium if the required upgrades can be completed before the 2010 season.
    There was a vote on this?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    There was a vote on this?
    You didn't get your ballot paper?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Honestly cant remember. At the moment at least. Mind you I would have said yes anyway and we are moving, so thats the main thing.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    You didn't hear about the $200 drinks vouchers and the general members' corporate box invitation either?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    You didn't get your ballot paper?
    They were about 12 cm long 6 cm wide and had Ticketmaster printed on them.....to vote yes, you got it scanned by a nice security guard at the gate.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    you got it scanned by a nice security guard at the gate.
    thats one thing that doesn't always happen at subi!....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    They were about 12 cm long 6 cm wide and had Ticketmaster printed on them.....to vote yes, you got it scanned by a nice security guard at the gate.
    B 'n' B I heard there we're 18,104 four's and 0 against for moving to Member's Equity Stadium by 2010 (plus another 8 1/2 thousand signatures on a WNC official petition!)

Brother Gallagher I hear you

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    There may have been a few 'nays' caught outside reading the 'Full House' sign (I know I got questioned by a couple as to teh result at the pub a bit later) - but if we we were at Subi, they probably would not have shown up anyway...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.