Thread: Force players Shepherd, Valentine hunt for Wallabies caps

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force players Shepherd, Valentine hunt for Wallabies caps

Force players Shepherd, Valentine hunt for Wallabies caps

Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer

January 24, 2009 05:21pm

WESTERN Force fullback Cameron Shepherd just wanted to get through the game; his new teammate, halfback Josh Valentine, was just after a game.
    But after Friday night's pre-season trial against the Crusaders both have the same target in their sights - more Wallaby caps.

The popular Shepherd was distraught and depressed after wrecking his ankle in last year's 40-10 Wallaby defeat of France in Brisbane.

He was still icing the ankle on Saturday, but his trademark smile was back and he said: "I took a lot of confidence out of that game.

"You try and put things to the back of your mind, but every time you make a tackle or go into a tackle everything seems to slow to quarter-speed.

"The spring in the step is still not quite there, but I needed to give the lungs a blow out. It's no secret I want the Australian fullback spot. That's where I want to be. That's why I play the game.

"I know I'm going to have to work hard, but at the moment it's just good to be on the paddock with the boys again."

After a frustrating 2008 with only two appearances off the bench for the Waratahs, Valentine is keen to add to his four Test caps.

"It has been a while and it was good to get the feel of the game at that intensity again. I copped it on the chin last year and didn't get exposure to Robbie Deans, now I've got a lot to look forward to," he said.

"Playing for the Wallabies is what we all strive for and I've got the chance this season."

Of Shepherd, Force coach John Mitchell said: "I just don't think people understand what young men, sportsmen, go through when they go through serious injury.

"It's a huge thing to come back and he's building with confidence on every outing."

Of Valentine, he said: "Valo is a very clever halfback. He provides good continuity to our game and he's a constant threat."

The Force lost 24-19 in its traditional pre-season hit-out against the reigning Super 14 champions, but Mitchell was pleased to see his side highly motivated.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    this guy has a great ability to write dribble

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I must be missing something - seemed quite a reasonable colour piece to me..?

vCash
    seriously
    isnt it kinda every super 14 or rugby players dream to play for there country?
    and even if they did play for there country and get dropped they always want to play for them again

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    I hope Valentine is the answer to our halfback woes.
    We have a talented backline that needs good ball.
    When Valentine played at the Reds he seemed to take the wrong option far too often. He didn't get much of a go at the Tahs.
    He's looking pretty fit so lets hope the Mitchell rugby philosophies are just the tonic he needs to raise the bar. He does seem to have some good kicking skills and has good hands.

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

vCash
    ^^ what, were you even watching him whilst at the Reds, he was the best young halfback in the country at that time, if it wasnt for the fact that George Gregan was ahead of him he would have had considerable more wallaby caps then what he did when he left.

vCash
    I watched every game he played at the Reds. He didn't set the world on fire and they were happy to let him go. He frequently ran when he should have passed, he kicked out on the full a lot, he kicked when he should have passed, he passed when he should have kicked, he threw a lot of bad passes. He was new and his pack was getting hammered. The QLD team at the time were getting beaten by everybody and morale was low. He moved to the Tahs and went quickly to 3rd choice halfback. He's had some serious knee injuries which make life hard for a back. I wish him well none the less

vCash
    I didn't watch him at all at the Reds (surprised?) but I reckon his decision making has improved Chis....Friday night, he took lots of great options, and (most importantly) stood up in defence in a manner I haven't seen since Henjak. His pass was dodgy, but he seemed to have pretty quick service and put the ball in the right place more often than not. All we need now is for that ball to go to the guts, not the feet.

Interestingly, it looks like our 9 will be the same decisionmaking process as 2007 with Henners and Chrisso, Valo has all the run, quick service and defence, Chrisso has the slick pass from the base, one thing's for sure, it'll be an interesting tussle!

C'mon the

vCash
    Gigs i wouldnt be suprised if his decision making has improved, its only natural for better decision making to come with maturity and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by chiselhead View Post
    I watched every game he played at the Reds. He didn't set the world on fire and they were happy to let him go. He frequently ran when he should have passed, he kicked out on the full a lot, he kicked when he should have passed, he passed when he should have kicked, he threw a lot of bad passes. He was new and his pack was getting hammered. The QLD team at the time were getting beaten by everybody and morale was low. He moved to the Tahs and went quickly to 3rd choice halfback. He's had some serious knee injuries which make life hard for a back. I wish him well none the less
    well i dont know what games you were watching but a 5-6 win-loss ration in 2005 and 2006 is not getting beaten by everyone, extremely similar to the Force win-loss ration for the past 2 years actually.

On top of that, you say he "didnt set the world on fire", yeah i guess that also coincides with the fact that he debut'd for the wallabies from his form at the Reds.

vCash
    We were trying to find a replacement for Gregan. The cupboard was bare. It was Henners or him at the time. Neither made it after getting an opportunity. He had big wraps on him from juniors. I didn't think he performed well at all.........my opinion.

vCash
    Well its his big chance this year with Gits, Cross, and Shep outside him... Who's going to be 12 at the Force this year? Staniforth or JOC?

vCash
    I think Mitchell will give him the confidence. He's had a few goes at the different franchises and hasn't been able to make it happen. I think he has the talent. With some confidence, I think he'll go well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Well its his big chance this year with Gits, Cross, and Shep outside him... Who's going to be 12 at the Force this year? Staniforth or JOC?
    Pelesasa is handy. An explosive runner and hard defender.
    Staniforth is always reliable
    JOC will start off the bench in my opinion but maybe they'll throw him in.
    I'm tipping JP to start, but we have depth here

vCash
    McKenzie really didn't back any of his halves... I think he was worried about continuity with Beale... Also I think Valentine did have an injury which held him back during the ARC year…

vCash
    i'd like to see more of Pelesasa, Daruda and Tatupu...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast