Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reds put Storm star on radar

vCash

Cool Reds put Storm star on radar

Reds put Storm star on radar

By Jim Tucker and Karl deKroo

January 22, 2009

QUEENSLAND Reds have slammed the door on off-contract Brisbane Broncos star Karmichael Hunt, instead preparing a big-money pitch to lure Queensland Origin prospect Will Chambers from Melbourne Storm.

Hunt's management have indicated the Maroons custodian is be open to a code switch from rugby league to rugby union, but Reds coach Phil Mooney on Wednesday dismissed any prospect of a poaching raid.

Hunt has held initial contract talks with the Broncos, and the club hopes to have a new deal locked down by the end of March. Mooney also doused any ploy of playing one code off against the other to bump up his price.

"You look at players with a real interest in the game and fit for your team profile, but I'm just not convinced Karmichael Hunt has a genuine interest in rugby," Mooney said.

"There are league people pretty quick to throw up rugby as an option for every player, but, basically, we're not interested.

"We've got (former Canberra Raiders half-back) Mark McLinden playing his first trial for the Reds at full-back on Saturday. He rang us with a genuine desire to play."

Mooney, keen to bolster his outside centre stocks for 2009, meanwhile said that Chambers, 20, was on the radar because of the Melbourne centre's schoolboy rugby experience.

"We keep an interest in guys who have come through the rugby system," Mooney said.

"Will went to Nudgee and played juniors with (Australia international) Quade Cooper," Mooney said.

"He's got a big year ahead for the Storm since they've lost Israel Folau so we'll keep an eye on him for sure."

Chambers, already labelled by Queensland coach Mal Meninga as an Origin prospect, impressed in the first half of last season for the Storm before he underwent a knee reconstruction.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy conceded the club faced a challenge to hold on to Chambers as they were under salary cap pressure after three consecutive NRL grand final appearances.

"I think there has been a fair bit of interest shown there (by the Reds)," Bellamy said. "But he's ours for another year and we'd be pretty keen to keep him.

"He is one of those guys who could play union. He is very competitive, very aggressive and has a lot of talent."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It's not a poaching raid- he is a Queenslander after all....

vCash
    by the time they speak to him he'll be past it.... they need to be more aggressive with their recruiting...

vCash
    ^^ what?

read the article, he is 20 and off contract at the end of this year, hence why they are targetting him.

vCash
    how the f**k can they be more agressive when his contract doesn't until the end of the year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    ^^ what?

read the article, he is 20 and off contract at the end of this year, hence why they are targetting him.
    Yep I know and the QLD Reds recruiters are very slow on the pick up... Is that news because who was the new signing for 2009, besides the Faingaa twins who signed because they wanted to play together for a few more years...

vCash
    Don't get me wrong, because I'm all for bashing the Reds (aren't I TOCC) but Muddy is there any team other than the Brumbies who has EVER done anything right in rugby?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, because I'm all for bashing the Reds (aren't I TOCC) but Muddy is there any team other than the Brumbies who has EVER done anything right in rugby?
    Crusaders....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    besides the Faingaa twins who signed because they wanted to play together for a few more years...
    Two more players that the Brumbies rejected?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yes the Brumbies CEO Fagan said they would only sign them separately... Saia was offered a contract wouldn't sign because the Brumbies didn't offer his twin Anthony a new contract. Anthony had a knee injury which put him out for the season and Tyrone Smith stepped in and had a great season at 12… Both Faingaa brothers were long term Brumbies academy players and very popular with the younger player set from Australian School boys and U19 U20s sides….

vCash
    Yep I know and the QLD Reds recruiters are very slow on the pick up... Is that news because who was the new signing for 2009, besides the Faingaa twins who signed because they wanted to play together for a few more years...
    apart from All Black Daniel Braid, the signings are Aidan Toua, James Hanson, Luke Morahan and Jake Schatz. Four of the best young players in the state, these are the important signings.

humour me to how the Reds are slow on the pick up, yet the Brumbies have 18 players off contract at season end and have made no indication of who they want to sign.

vCash
    Yes the Brumbies CEO Fagan said they would only sign them separately...
    well you said that "by rejected the team didnt do everything it could to sign them"

so obviously Fagan must be making some dodgy decisions down in Southern NSW as he couldn't hang onto some promising players

humour me to how the Reds are slow on the pick up, yet the Brumbies have 18 players off contract at season end and have made no indication of who they want to sign.
    It's different for the Brumbies though.....don't ask me how.....but it IS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    there's that R word again....

vCash
    by the time they speak to him he'll be past it.... they need to be more aggressive with their recruiting...
    hmm, well jeez muddy it would appear the Reds have signed Will Chambers

say what!

vCash
    hmm, well jeez muddy it would appear the Reds have signed Will Chambers

say what!
    Thats a good result. I hope they get active and recruit more good young talent ...

how old is the kid?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast