Thread: The Force is not with John Mitchell by Spiro on the Roar

vCash

The Force is not with John Mitchell by Spiro on the Roar

The NZ Sunday Star Times sports writer, Greg Ford, has come out with some startling revelations about coach John Mitchell and the Western Force Super 14 franchise which, if true, indicate that there is an intense struggle between the coach and the majority of the players and staff over control of the club.

The implication in Ford’s account is that Mitchell is hanging onto his job, pending a review of his methods by a retired judge, mainly because his manager, the redoubtable John Fordham, has threatened legal action if his power of the team is not restored. And because paying Mitchell out of his contract will cost the cash-strapped franchise over $1 million.

Ford also claims that while Mitchell remains the coach of the Western Force ‘technically,’ the training of the team has been done by the assistant coach, John Mulvihill.

In his Sun-Herald rugby column this week, the former Queensland and Australian coach John Connolly, says that 30 out of the 36 and 10 of the coaching staff have signed a petition of complaint about Mitchell.

Connolly makes the point that Mitchell is in a ‘tough place’ because it’s easier to sack one coach than most of your players and coaching staff.

He might have noted that when the management of the ACT Brumbies were faced with a much smaller revolt by a group of senior players against their successful coach David Nucifora, it was Nucifora who was sacked.

The gist of Connolly’s article is that “how a coach handles the pressure is the key to how he survives.’ The implication in the article is that Mitchell is very poor at handling pressure. Connolly instances the fact that Mitchell ‘left the All Blacks under a cloud because of the way he supposedly handled issues.”

This Connolly attack comes a week after a similar sort of attack against Mitchell was made by Brendan Cannon.

Cannon’s argument was that it is alarming for the future success of a club when the majority of its players and coaching staff are in rebellion against their coach.

Cannon was a founding member of the Western Force, the first player recruited by Mitchell. He’s been the heart and soul of the club, even after he was forced to retire with neck injuries.

Journalists are inveterate conspiracy theorists, of course, but there seems to be something of a whiff of a takeover attempt in all the criticisms made against Mitchell.

And why is this so?

In my opinion, certain parties are interested in taking over Mitchell’s job if the review forces the board of the Western Force into sacking him.

This brings us back to Greg Ford’s article which was entitled, “The mystery of John Mitchell.”

Ford solves the mystery in a way by explaining that Mitchell appears to be a Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde character. He can be “the smiling, charming, successful, smart, athletic family man - or, the devious, scheming, ruthless, ticking time bomb.”

It’s now generally forgotten that Mitchell won the Western Force coaching job against an ARU directive by the then chief executive Gary Flowers that the job had to go to an Australian.

Fordham, who is also the manager of Ricky Stuart, another coach who has a tempestuous relationship with the media and sometimes with some of his players, lobbied brilliantly for his client, Mitchell.

The rugby media was subjected to a charm offensive on the part of Fordham and Mitchell which turned the tide in the favour of the New Zealander.

Here, I’ll make a confession.

During the lead-up to the appointment of Mitchell as the coach of the Western Force, I’d been critical of the attempt to give-up on the policy of appointing non-Australians to a Super 14 coaching job. My argument was that, first, there were plenty of competent Australian coaches who could do the job, and, second, that Mitchell was not so much better than any of the good Australian candidates that he deserved the special treatment a Robbie Deans might be given.

Thirdly, Australian rugby did not want to get into the same position as European rugby of giving away all the top coaching jobs to outsiders and, thereby, reducing the chances of a national coaching the national side.

Fordham must have read these criticisms.

He arranged for me to have a chat with Mitchell before he went across to Perth. I found him to be a very pleasant, intense, knowledgeable and family-oriented man. On the occasions I’ve contacted him about rugby matters, say what players and coaches look out for with certain referees, he’s been helpful and intelligent.

A perfect Dr Jeckyll.

But Ford reports that at North Harbour last season, when the Force were struggling against the Auckland Blues, the Force’s coach’s box was near the media benches and hard-nosed reporters were startled to hear that “the air was blue with profanities.”

The Force is not with John Mitchell, it appears, in more ways than one.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/01/20...john-mitchell/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    nothing new here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiro The Dragon View Post
    will cost the cash-strapped franchise over $1 million.
    We're not that cash strapped are we? But granted $1 million is a large amount of money. I'm sure if any of the Australian franchises had to pay that out they would be looking fairly cash strapped

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    We're not that cash strapped are we? But granted $1 million is a large amount of money. I'm sure if any of the Australian franchises had to pay that out they would be looking fairly cash strapped
    Hmmm, no. Renewals are down and obviously the Firepower money is no more, but if the franchise still turning an operating profit is 'cash strapped' what the hell does that make the others?

vCash
    there is a difference between turning a profit and having money though! its called creative accounting, nsw have been doing it for years with mixed results and im sure there doing it in perth as well. just as they do it in every other sport!

but that being said, cheers to spiro who managed to turn out an entire article by quoting other articles and even badmoouthing jurnos of which he is one along the way! god bless him!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    there is a difference between turning a profit and having money though! its called creative accounting, nsw have been doing it for years with mixed results and im sure there doing it in perth as well. just as they do it in every other sport!

but that being said, cheers to spiro who managed to turn out an entire article by quoting other articles and even badmoouthing jurnos of which he is one along the way! god bless him!
    Spiro's biggest claim to fame is his outstandingly unsuccessful career as an opening bat for wellington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    nothing new here
    Maybe he's been talking to someone at the SMH and they offered him an inside scoop.

Go The Force!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullback View Post
    Maybe he's been talking to someone at the SMH and they offered him an inside scoop.

Spiro works for the SMH

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Spiro works for the SMH
    Well that explains everything then.

Go The Force!

vCash
    Again the attention of the world is drawn to whether the Force can afford to sack Mitchell or not (at a reputed buyout of $1 Million)...

...No one in the media, however, has mentioned the conceivable possibility that the contract contains a clause allowing for the termination of the employee for misconduct or inappropriate behaviour. Like Henjak's was, for example?

That there is an independent inquiry taking place over the alleged inappropriate behaviour (by a retired Supreme Court Judge, no less) suggests to me that such a clause may well exist and come into play if necessary.

And that would mean no buyout. Not to mention money for a new coach.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    As i have said...the wording "inappropriate behavior" is only that of a journo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Spiro works for the SMH
    You call that work? I would have suggested it was more a case of Spiro photocopying the work of others for the SMH

Quote Originally Posted by blindsid3 View Post
    ...No one in the media, however, has mentioned the conceivable possibility that the contract contains a clause allowing for the termination of the employee for misconduct or inappropriate behaviour. Like Henjak's was, for example?
    OK Blindsid3 you've made a couple of miles from the 'inappropriate behaviour' remark, but quite frankly, if what you're implying is the actuality of it, I don't think the contract requires a clause. All forms of workplace bullying and other inappropriate behaviour are covered by the workplace relations act and he can be sacked for them regardless of what his contract says.

I personally believe it's not as serious as all that.....the findings haven't been made public and he's been present at training. If he was beating one of the boys (or something similarly serious) he wouldn't be anywhere near the building while the inquiry was running and he'd be out as soon as the recommendation was written.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsid3 View Post
    Again the attention of the world is drawn to whether the Force can afford to sack Mitchell or not (at a reputed buyout of $1 Million)...

That there is an independent inquiry taking place over the alleged inappropriate behaviour (by a retired Supreme Court Judge, no less) suggests to me that such a clause may well exist and come into play if necessary.

And that would mean no buyout. Not to mention money for a new coach.
    The contract supposedly has a clause that is the opposite of what you're talking about BS3. The contract has a clause saying that if the board has any problems with Mitchell, the way he is operating, or performance of the team etc etc he has something like 3 months to try to change his ways. From December even if this 3 months were used up we'd be half way through the Super 14.

I wonder if rather than paying out $1M for Mitch's contract (were that even necessary) if it wouldn't be worth dividing $500,000 amongst any players we want to retain between now and when he leaves and beef up their contracts by another $10-$20k a year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    i didnt realise that mitchells manager threatened legal action.
    if that is true then the judge is pretty much just there to dot the i's and cross the t's. surely the force board know if they have a working relationship with him or not, they just have to be carefull not to leave themselves exposed to legal action if they choose to fire him!

hopefully its resolved before the season starts!