Thread: Massive Reds recruit grounded

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Massive Reds recruit grounded

Massive Reds recruit grounded

15th January 2009, 14:45 WST

Queensland’s tough Super 14 start has grown more difficult with key recruit Ezra Taylor ruled out of the Reds’ tour of South Africa.

Former Highlanders big man Taylor will miss the opening away matches against the Bulls and Stormers after undergoing ankle surgery this week.

The 25-year-old lock-flanker had a floating piece of bone cleaned out after having an arthroscope which will sideline him from full training for five weeks.

Queensland coach Phil Mooney said Taylor would aim to return to action in the round three home match against the Cheetahs on March 1 at Suncorp Stadium.

“Ezra hurt his ankle before Christmas and we were hopeful that it would come good but it’s continued to be a problem,” Mooney said on Thursday.

“It’s a setback but he’ll work hard to get back for us and should still be on deck early in the season.”

The blow continues 113kg, 193cm Taylor’s recent fitness woes with his 2007 NPC and 2008 Super 14 campaigns ruined by injury.

Perennial battlers Queensland were able to sneak under the guard of the New Zealand Rugby Union and his Otago province to sign the Brisbane-born powerful forward who holds dual nationality.

As well as losing his power and presence, Taylor’s loss is amplified by the fact he loomed as the replacement for injured captain and Wallabies lock James Horwill (foot surgery).

With neither Horwill or Taylor back until March, the Reds are virtually forced to start the season with Wallaby Hugh McMeniman in the second-row rather than in his preferred position at blind-side flanker.

“Ezra’s a massive bloke, and he really gives us some good variety,” Mooney admitted. “With both him and Hugh McMeniman able to play lock or back-row it gave us flexibility with selections.

“Hughie at lock’s not a bad thing, he played there as recently as the Spring Tour for the Wallabies.”

Rookie Rob Simmons will now vie with former Leinster and Sydney Fleet lock Adam Byrnes, 27, as the next lock in line in three trial matches, starting on January 24 against NSW in Toowoomba.

The back-row remains well stocked with Tasi Luafutu to compete with Scott Higginbotham for a flanking spot alongside marquee signing Daniel Braid and No.8 Leroy Houston.

BRISBANE
    AAP

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=118326

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i wouldnt have had him starting anyway, especially at lock, his not exactly a known lock.

I would have thought he would have been battling for the bench spot between him and Luafutu.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Can't not feel sorry for the Reds. If they could just get all the players out at once they'd win a fair few games.

Tahs look like they're having the same problems. As much as I dislike them I'd hate to see a return to 2007's form.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    they dont deserve any sympathy on this one, whilst im a avid Reds supporter, they did recruit a player who is known for injuries..

It would be like signing McMenimen and then been suprised that he got injured..