Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Inaugural Rugby World Club Championships

vCash

Lightbulb Inaugural Rugby World Club Championships

Ok so I did hear about this I think over a year ago now but wasn't sure how it was going to work.

So I read this is going to happen this year between July 25 to August 2. The competition is to be played in Singapore, you know that really temperate climate where it is nice all year round (I don't think so, probably going to be 95% humidity and 35 degrees celcius).

The clubs included are

Perpignan - French
    Gloucester - English
    Saracens - English
    Mighty WF - Southern Hemisphere

Ok so can anyone tell me how the teams have been picked? Is it because this is an inaugural championship they have grabbed who is ever available/willing? Now I do want to see the WF in this competition, but what did we actually win to get there, did we need to win anything?

It seems that Phil Greening (some hooker from england - must be pretty loose ), is the man behind the new competition. He has plans to "feature the Super 14 and European champions by invitation" in up coming championships.

Maybe more details be forth coming as we get closer to the date. I would think the competition would work better if the best team from the major competitions were there, this may however eventuate.

Should be interesting and it will be nice to see how the WF line up against these international foes. Hope it is on the box for me to watch as well!!!!

PS: would think they would have a website for this but I can't find it!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    its not really a world club championship if the best clubs arent playing

realistically none of those clubs playing are the best in there respective competitions

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Perpignan set for inaugural world club championships with Western Force

From correspondents in Perpignan, France

January 15, 2009 FRENCH club Perpignan will join English sides Gloucester and Saracens along with Australian club Western Force at the inaugural world club championships in Singapore.

Perpignan president Paul Goze said he was delighted that his club had been selected for the tournament, which will run from July 25 to August 2, though they will be without New Zealand great Dan Carter as his six-month contract will have come to an end.

"This is proof that Perpignan has become a very attractive proposition," said Goze.

"This sort of tournament will only increase our image in the game and is proof that Perpignan is a major player in French rugby."

Agence France-Presse

http://www.foxsports.com.au:80/story...-23209,00.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    realistically none of those clubs playing are the best in there respective competitions
    Yet.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It is not a champions league tournament but a great idea... location at Singapore is perhaps not the choice venue. I could see this taking off and being played in Dubai...(like everything else these days)... a more central location... timing could be better also…

vCash
    If it was a true Club Championship I would have thought it would have involved Super 14, Guinness Premiership, Magners League and whatever the French one is (Top 14 isn't it )

Maybe they a doing a test run to find out what the logistics for such an event would be?

I agree with unipirate in saying that if your going to call it World Club Championship you want the best sides from each competition, regardless of who they are

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Its actually called the World Club Challenge.

Just the French turned it into Championship.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Carter set to play in World Club Challenge

Carter set to play in World Club Challenge

Reuters | Thursday, 15 January 2009

CLUB CHALLENGE: French rugby powerhouse Perpignan will battle for Singapore's World Club Challenge this year, after they were named as the fourth and final side for the inaugural clash of the hemispheres.

French rugby powerhouse Perpignan will battle for Singapore's World Club Challenge this year, after they were named as the fourth and final side for the inaugural clash of the hemispheres.

The Catalonian club, currently boasting mercurial All Black Dan Carter, will lock horns with English premiership sides Gloucester and Saracens plus Australian Super 14 outfit Western Force in July.

Each team will bring a full-strength squad for the week-long event, organiser and former England international Phil Greening told Reuters.

"This will be the first time leading professional clubs with world-class players will have played in Singapore and the event will be the first of its kind - a real signature event for Singapore to underline it's status as a sporting hub of Asia," Greening said.

"It is a great opportunity for an elite rugby event in Asia... with the city-centre Padang as the backdrop and truly world-class internationals giving their all, the World Club Challenge will be a spectacular sporting occasion.

"To have secured Perpignan's participation gives this challenge the lustre it deserves and completes a line-up of four of the world's best teams," he said.

The challenge is the brainchild of retired Wasps hooker Greening, who toured Australia with the British and Irish Lions in 2001 and it has the full backing on the Singapore government.

The July 2009 event will take place downtown at Singapore's historic cricket club and the event is planned to be hosted by the city-state for at least the next five years.

The tournament will be the first of its kind anywhere in the world, where clubs from across the globe compete in one tournament in the full 15 a-side game, organisers said.

The clubs are due to arrive in the south-east Asian city-state on July 24 and the World Club Challenge is scheduled to last one week.

Greening said in future years the event would feature European and Super 14 champions by invitation.

Perpignan are currently flying high in the French championship in third place while Western Force finished mid-table in last year's Super 14 standings in Australia with the 2009 season yet to start. Gloucester sit second in the Premiership with Saracens currently sixth of 12 teams.

The Singaporean government is to use the impetus of the World Club Challenge to host a parallel sporting seminar, tapping the expertise of the rugby clubs and players involved to help develop all sport in the region. Experts in sports conditioning, nutrition and sports marketing will pool information to benefit sport's growth in Asia.

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz:80/4819...lines_20090115

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If Singapore in July is the same as Singapore in April then I can assure you it is seriously trying conditions to be playing in!
    We had a school tour to there and Malaysia back in the day, about the only strength the locals had in their favour was the climate, it was shocking!

What have the Force done to get in?
    Not have an ARC to keep their players active

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Champion
    vCash
    A great idea, the only question that needs to be answered is, will it be on TV?

vCash
    pffffffft bugger that, flights to singapore are fairly cheap at the moment

I used July 15th as a depature date and July 24th as a return:

Jetstar apparrently $127

Tiger Airways $160 but they are advertising a 50% off sale at the moment

Air Asia only flys to Kuala Lumpur from Perth for $147, but a flight from KL to Singapire only costs an extra $35, so total would be $182

Last edited by jargan83; 15-01-09 at 10:26.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    As above, it is the World Club Challenge. The Force are in it because they helped develop the idea, presumably as part of the links developed with Singapore rugby. Upside for mine is that if it turns out to be a nice little earner (and there is all sorts of potential), they don't have to justify who they invite or who they don't. I thought I read somewhere that we'll be there for at least three years, but I may be wrong.

http://redsports.sg/2008/11/07/world...allenge-rugby/
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/rugbyN...42340820090114

EVENT DETAILS:
    http://www.travel.com.sg/publish/stb...22&eventType=1

If it is a success, then life will get interesting and I could see a real push toward a proper club champoinship (and you'd have to bet on it being Dubai)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    pffffffft bugger that, flights to singapore are fairly cheap at the moment

I used July 15th as a depature date and July 24th as a return:

Jetstar apparrently $127

Tiger Airways $160 but they are advertising a 50% off sale at the moment

Air Asia only flys to Kuala Lumpur from Perth for $147, but a flight from KL to Singapire only costs an extra $35, so total would be $182
    Ummm.....Jargs, you'd miss the games going on those dates!

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eleypinkbit View Post
    Ummm.....Jargs, you'd miss the games going on those dates!
    I only used those dates to "ballpark" the amounts

(the boss was in so I had to at least make it look like I was actually working s oI couldnt change the dates. I have no idea why those dates actually came up once i selected July as the travel month though)

Still cheaper to fly international to Asia then it is to Fly to the East Coast

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast