Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Super Rugby side on the horizon. South Africa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    haha, has mudskipper been banned from posting articles elsewhere on this forum?

yeah i understand the relevance this thread has to this forum, i was just wandering why you would post a article about a potential south african super14 side in the brumbies forum..

Surely if this team got included then the Super14(15?16?17?) would have to go to a conference format. Dam i hope it goes to a conference format!
    I would like to see a conference S14 format but the SAers can't have 6 teams with AUS 4 and NZ 5. SA can't be allowed to hijack the S14 future agenda. I would think the AUS conference will need another team giving each conference with 5 teams. If this was done and within conference a home and away format the S14 could run for around 22 weeks.

That’s why I think it is an interesting article to post...(its not about me playing games with the TWF crew)

But the story is more interesting than my TWF access...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by mudskipper; 14-01-09 at 19:22.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I gave no access to brumbies forum - I just posted a link to teh "New Thread" button in teh brumbies forum - no actual settings were changed...

Go here: http://twf.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=153 (The SOuth Africa Forum) - do you see a New Thread button near top right of the forums?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    y do they need another team
    they have enough already.
    i think there are enough teams in the super 14 right now
    14s a good amount

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    You can post or create new threads anywhere, mudskipper - always have been able to since you joined.
    sorry my misunderstanding... thanks m

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Just so long as things are working for you. It's good if people let me know of issues, as it's possible that there are 'bugs' which affect more than one person. If I don't know about them, I can't fix them!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i dont think anything is certain in the current economic climate, at the end of the day i think that the Broadcasters will also want a expansion, more games and more teams mean more pontential viewers.
    At least that's one thing - while none of us know what is going on, it has been publicly stated that News Corp has been in close communication with SANZAR about the whole expansion idea so they are at least keeping their ears open.

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I would think the AUS conference will need another team giving each conference with 5 teams. If this was done and within conference a home and away format the S14 could run for around 22 weeks.
    Well that's the option that's most talked about by the people in power and I still think it's the most sensible one to begin with, regardless of where the franchise goes.

Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    y do they need another team
    they have enough already.
    i think there are enough teams in the super 14 right now
    14s a good amount
    Here's three reasons:
    1 - whether you had conferences or not you'd get rid of that current imbalance of home and away fixtures by adding an extra team.
    2 - with conferences you can build up the domestic rivalries that really aren't as strong as they should be (disappointing crowd for Force v Waratahs last year as evidence).
    3 - with conferences the non-Wallabies can play professional rugby for the full season.

vCash
    As a practical and affordable Super Rugby format the conference model is the way to go. It would be great to have home and away every year for Australian teams and would financially help the provinces and provide a better product for the broadcasters. It looks that it’s not likely until 2011 at this time. The next Australia team would have to be Melbourne.

O’Neill was keen on Japan but I haven’t seen a schedule that would work fairly for a Japanese team. While Japan is an interesting new market how would it work? O’Neill is likely buying SANZAR time to get another AUS province up…

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The next Australia team would have to be Melbourne.
    Yes. The Victorians love their sport. They will take the Brumbies into their hearts and minds.

vCash
    O’Neill was keen on Japan but I haven’t seen a schedule that would work fairly for a Japanese team. While Japan is an interesting new market how would it work? O’Neill is likely buying SANZAR time to get another AUS province up…
    By the sounds of it Japan wants to concentrate on improving its own Top League rather than join Super 14 so it could be a moot point right now... As much as I like the idea...

Last edited by beige; 14-01-09 at 20:09.

vCash
    It looks that it’s not likely until 2011 at this time. The next Australia team would have to be Melbourne.
    well yeah, a new team wont be introduced until the contract comes up for renewal, which is at the end of the 2010 season. We should know by the end of this year at least what the plans are for the new competition.

vCash
    I hope so - they had originally promised to tell us by the end of September 2008 if anyone remembers that far

vCash
    they best get moving on the next AUS province pitch...

vCash
    It will be interesting to see who bids. Melbourne will be a shoe in for a bid and probably a franchise (be it a new one or a relocated one)

putting teams on the Gold Cost seems to be the "In thing" at the moment with the NRl having done it, FFA as well (gold Coast United to debut in the 08/09 A-League season) and the AFL still planning for GC17

Tocc would that compromise the Reds? (I have no idea about QLD Rugby set up/structure)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    It will be interesting to see who bids. Melbourne will be a shoe in for a bid and probably a franchise (be it a new one or a relocated one)

putting teams on the Gold Cost seems to be the "In thing" at the moment with the NRl having done it, FFA as well (gold Coast United to debut in the 08/09 A-League season) and the AFL still planning for GC17

Tocc would that compromise the Reds? (I have no idea about QLD Rugby set up/structure)
    I can't see a West Sydney and the ARC gold coast team struggled for crowds. Melbourne has a plenty of NZers and NH expats... I guess if the Brumbies move to melbourne the 5th team will be out of subi with Ben Cousins at flyhalf..

vCash
    the game in QLD is broken up into sub-distrcits, Darling Downs, Cairns, Townsville, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and of course Brisbane. Whilst all of them govern there own affairs and admin, like draws, clubs etc they still play under the QRU banner and the matches need to be sanctioned by the QRU. Whilst Brisbane is effectively its own sub-district it is controlled directly by the QRU.

Premier Rugby sits on top of all the sub districts, the draw and teams are arranged by the QRU, but in the case of Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast, these teams are run by the respective sub-district unions. As will also be the case when the Townsville side is added in 2010 and Darling Downs(toowoomba) in 2011.

It may sound a little complicated but in essence its pretty straight forward.

So to answer your question, yes it would compromise the Reds/QRU structure since the Gold Coast is run by the QRU. It could stil be done quite easily though, Gold Coast rugby would only need to become independant of the QRU and run the matches that way, possibly incorportaing the northern parts of NSW as well(similar to the ACTRU set-up)..

Whilst it is possible i dont think it is likely

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast