Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Giteau happy to stay in Perth

vCash

Giteau happy to stay in Perth

Force flyhalf Matt Giteau says there's no problem with coach John Mitchell

January 12, 2009 WESTERN Force flyhalf Matt Giteau insists he has no problem with coach John Mitchell and says he is happy in Perth and will consider re-signing with the Super 14 club beyond 2009.

Giteau reportedly threatened to walk out on the Force last year to join his former club the Brumbies when his lucrative third party sponsorship deal with Firepower collapsed.

There were also reports that Giteau was amongst a raft of players unhappy with Mitchell's behaviour.

But the 26-year-old rejected claims that he was involved in the player revolt that led to the independent inquiry into Mitchell, saying he was away on Wallabies duties when the inquiry was launched.

"That can be put to bed, I wasn't even here,'' Giteau said on Monday.

"I've found him good.

"With all coaches you are always going to have your run-ins or disagreements.

"I've felt there might have been times where we've disagreed but we've both moved on and done what's best for the team.

"All the boys seem to be happy ... so, no, I can't really see anybody here who's unhappy with Mitch.''

Giteau also scoffed at suggestions he was desperate to leave the Force, only to be told he had no choice but to see out the rest of his contract.

"See a lot of the stuff that was said (in the media) wasn't actually said by me,'' Giteau said.

"So I tried to stay away from that and focus on football, and when I had my break that was when I was going to decide what to do.

'I looked at certain things but in the end I've enjoyed my time here and I wanted to honour the last year of my contract.''

But he did admit he was tempted by a deal worth almost $10 million to move to French side Bayonne.

"Yeah, it was (tempting) but, again, nothing I really thought of seriously,'' Giteau said.

"It was just an offer that was put to me and I quickly decided that I want to stay in Australia.

"I want to play my best football in what I believe is the best competition and that's Super 14 and playing for Australia.

"It (playing overseas) is something I do want to do at some stage but when I do it I'm not too sure.''

Giteau said he was happy in Perth, where he has bought a house and is dating Bianca Franklin, who plays netball for the West Coast Fever and is the sister of Hawthorn AFL star Lance Franklin.

"Home's here,'' Giteau said.

"I've got a place here, I love Perth (and the) surfing ... it's got everything I like doing.''

Giteau said he would weigh up a number of things, including who is coach of the club and what players have re-signed, before deciding whether to extend his stay with the Force beyond '09.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Matt Giteau happy in Perth, backs coach John Mitchell

Justin Chadwick

January 12, 2009 04:50pm

WESTERN Force flyhalf Matt Giteau insists he has no problem with coach John Mitchell and will consider re-signing with the Super 14 club beyond 2009.
    Giteau reportedly threatened to walk out on the Force last year to join his former club the Brumbies when his lucrative third party sponsorship deal with Firepower collapsed.

There were also reports that Giteau was amongst a raft of players unhappy with Mitchell's behaviour.

But the 26-year-old rejected claims that he was involved in the player revolt that led to the independent inquiry into Mitchell, saying he was away on Wallabies duties when the inquiry was launched.

"That can be put to bed, I wasn't even here,'' Giteau said on Monday.

"I've found him good.

"With all coaches you are always going to have your run-ins or disagreements.

"I've felt there might have been times where we've disagreed but we've both moved on and done what's best for the team.

"All the boys seem to be happy ... so, no, I can't really see anybody here who's unhappy with Mitch.''

Giteau once again scoffed at suggestions he was desperate to leave the Force - which broke exclusively in The Sunday Times and PerthNow.

"See a lot of the stuff that was said (in the media) wasn't actually said by me,'' Giteau said.

"So I tried to stay away from that and focus on football, and when I had my break that was when I was going to decide what to do.

"I looked at certain things but in the end I've enjoyed my time here and I wanted to honour the last year of my contract.''

But he did admit he was tempted by a deal worth almost $10 million to move to French side Bayonne.

"Yeah, it was (tempting) but, again, nothing I really thought of seriously,'' Giteau said.

"It was just an offer that was put to me and I quickly decided that I want to stay in Australia.

"I want to play my best football in what I believe is the best competition and that's Super 14 and playing for Australia.

"It (playing overseas) is something I do want to do at some stage but when I do it I'm not too sure.''

Giteau said he was happy in Perth, where he has bought a house and is dating Bianca Franklin, who plays netball for the West Coast Fever and is the sister of Hawthorn AFL star Lance Franklin.

"Home's here,'' Giteau said.

"I've got a place here, I love Perth (and the) surfing ... it's got everything I like doing.''

Giteau said he would weigh up a number of things, including who is coach of the club and what players have re-signed, before deciding whether to extend his stay with the Force beyond '09.

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    For anyone interested he's doing an interview on 6pr between now and 7:00pm.

No, I'm not a promoter for the much maligned Sports Central on 6pr but often listen driving home or like tonite when I'm out in the garden.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    still waiting.....

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    They're talking about Gits & Mitch now...well by talking about, they started off talking about Gits now they're talking about coaches staying in one place for a while & just about to talk to Gits.

-Staying & happy to do so.
    -Didnt want to comment on all the media stuff while he was playing & on holidays.
    -Firepower all done & said, initially its what lured him and disappointing it fell through but without the deal he probably wouldn't have come here & never got to experience life in Perth (which he loves).
    -MEH to the France deal. Aussie Aussie Aussie!!
    -Mitch at training, all players happy & amped for 09 season. 6PR probing as to why there's an inquiry but Gits says things are normal at training, today was units training so Mitch didn't take the session but he doesn't normally for units training so nothing out of the ordinary there.
    -No problemo with Mitch-o and Gits.
    -Yeay MES
    -Contract til the end of 09 at this stage (stop asking him already!)

Last edited by laura; 12-01-09 at 17:46.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    nice chat about the stadium too.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    At last Matt has put to bed these off season rumours that have been fraying the nerve ends.

At the end of the day, we are back to where we ended last season. Matt saying he will play in Perth in 09, he loves the Perth lifestyle and has a house here and will decide closer to the time where he will play next year.

Roll on 09, and lets see the Force reach for the stars as nothing like sucess will ensure that we retain our best players.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Bad time to sell in Perth - he'd be a mug to move away before 2011 I'd say

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Interesting to see that Fairfax under the Rugby Heaven banner run the story, the first in bold headlines "I am not behind the Mutiny:Giteau" and in tiny headlines the more favorable slant "Giteau insists he is happy in Perth", come on eastern states he is here now and happy to be so, live with it.

vCash
    The thing to note is the open door for beyond 2009....now that might all be a show to prove that he's a loyal boy....an unwillingness to burn a bridge which might be the best option for him .....a genuine desire to find the programme which will have him playing the best rugby or any number of things....the fact is, I thought there would be a lot more ambivalence re his 2010 signature than has presented itself just now.

A late thought....since his deal with the Force is until 2010 with an option to exit at the end of 2009 it might be that he'll make more money in 2010 by continuing his existing contract than by negotiating a renewal.....financial crisis and all that!

C'mon the

vCash
    I like the rugby365 "slant" on the story, Giteau to remain a Force in Perth

Openanin salvo: "Wallaby flyhalf Matt Giteau has poured cold water on recent media reports linking him to a player revolt at the Western Force or suggestions that he is about to make a premature exit from the Perth-based Super 14 franchise.

In fact the 26-year-old even hinted at signing on with the Force beyond 2009."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Interesting to see that Fairfax under the Rugby Heaven banner run the story, the first in bold headlines "I am not behind the Mutiny:Giteau" and in tiny headlines the more favorable slant "Giteau insists he is happy in Perth", come on eastern states he is here now and happy to be so, live with it.

Similarly, Fox sports take on what Gits had to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Sports
    WESTERN Force star Matt Giteau has doused speculation he wants out of Perth by saying he likes coach John Mitchell and will more than likely re-sign after 2009.

vCash
    Missed the news, will catch it on FoxSports news later no doubt was watching the 20/20 game again

I think we need to hear from mudcrab

vCash
    Another postive slant on Giteau from planetrugby.co.uk, "Giteau sets the facts straight" Opening paragraphs "Western Force fly-half Matt Giteau insists that he is so happy to play in Perth that he will consider re-signing with the Super 14 club beyond 2009 and that he has no problem with his coach John Mitchell."

Amazing how all the overseas web sites see the positives for the Force, yet our Eastern States friends, read negativity into anything that happens out West.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    do not believe anything a player will say about a contract
    red herrings are thrown around with gay abandon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast