Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No more big $$ for Super 14 defectors to UK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I assume he did that as SBW was playing for an Australian NRL club
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I must be missing the point of the thread because where does it only say its about aussie players?

I thought it said no more big $$ for Super 14 defectors to UK.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    I must be missing the point of the thread because where does it only say its about aussie players?

You must have. Although it starts off with Super 14 players it was expanded to include NRL players I guess.

Anyway, New Zealand is a part of Australia in the same way that Wales is a part of England
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash

the topic, as in the players i listed are australian players, SBW well he is half aussie, but the list would be way to long if we listed NZ and RSA players.

The things about the Guiness premiership, and all the European competitions is that if they sign a international French/Welsh/English player to there club, he will only be there for 2/3 of the season, with international duty robbing him for a large part.

Southern Hemisphere players are just better value for money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Southern Hemisphere players are just better value for money.
    Wouldn't this mean that the salary cap restrictions would cause their local talent to suffer not the more economical foreign talent?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Wouldn't this mean that the salary cap restrictions would cause their local talent to suffer not the more economical foreign talent?
    well yeah in a way, Danny Cipriani is looking at possibly playing in France because no English team can afford his asking salary especially considering he will miss a large proportion of the season.

the RFU also has a reimbursement scheme with the clubs for England International players, i dont know much about that though.

At the end of the day i dont think this salary cup reduction is really going to change much, i do think the whole NH poaching issue will drop quite significantly in next 12months though.

Many of the NH teams are doing it tough financially, and as someone has already mentioned, Gasnier, SBW, Rooney and Gower havent exactly set the world on fire. Also any player who moves overseas at the end of next season has practially ruled himself out of the RWC for 2011.

vCash
    Many of the NH teams are doing it tough financially, and as someone has already mentioned, Gasnier, SBW, Rooney and Gower havent exactly set the world on fire. Also any player who moves overseas at the end of next season has practially ruled himself out of the RWC for 2011.
    You are right, but what does Gasnier, SBW, Rooney and Gower have to do with rugby players being poached by the Northern Unions?

C'mon the

vCash
    that was more or less just a general NH poaching comment, but considering Gasnier and SBW's have both voiced there intentions of representing australia and new zealand respectively it does have a impact here for aus s14 teams.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I took TOCC's list to be Australian eligible playing Union in the NH, which is why when I extended it to being for a hypothetical Melbourne team I didn't include any of the League players... I mean, why would yah?!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Many of the NH teams are doing it tough financially, and as someone has already mentioned, Gasnier, SBW, Rooney and Gower havent exactly set the world on fire.
    SBW has been out with a broken leg, Gower has been very impressive since switching to 10 according to reports and Link says the same re Gaz. He's holding his spot and Stade are near the top of the table, second. Maybe Rooney is off the boil so you're possibly not completely wide of the mark.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    SBW has been out with a broken leg, Gower has been very impressive since switching to 10 according to reports and Link says the same re Gaz. He's holding his spot and Stade are near the top of the table, second. Maybe Rooney is off the boil so you're possibly not completely wide of the mark.
    SBW has played a few very unimpressive games, he is actually back from injury.
    Gower plays 12 not 10, he may have moved to 10 for a game or two when Manuel Edmonds was out injured, but he is now back playing 12, going reasonably well.
    Gasnier is going ok as well, doing the work and getting a try every now and then.

I think you misinterpreted what i said, i said these players arent setting the world on fire, which i stand by 100% Gower cant even warrant a call up to the Italy side even though they are desperately lacking in depth at 10 and 12. Gasnier is still coming to grips with the game, he came off the bench last week and was sin binned 5 minutes later.

so, its possible your comments are wide off the mark

vCash
    From the games I've seen Gasnier has got the goods. Just a natural athlete with exceptional skills that will easily transfer to the 15 man game. Give him time to develop his game and I think he'll get a Wallaby call up soon enough.

vCash
    Give him time to develop his game and I think he'll get a Wallaby call up soon enough.
    Only if he comes and plays here in Oz eventually

vCash
    but he is now back playing 12, going reasonably well.
    You're dead right. I wrote the wrong number. I was previously not fond of referring to 10, 12, rather than inside centre etc. Now I've have not only fallen into the habit but managed to confuse myself as well. Not that that's particularly difficult.

I think you misinterpreted what i said, i said these players arent setting the world on fire, which i stand by 100% Gower cant even warrant a call up to the Italy side even though they are desperately lacking in depth at 10 and 12. Gasnier is still coming to grips with the game, he came off the bench last week and was sin binned 5 minutes later.

so, its possible your comments are wide off the mark
    No need to get bent out of shape. It's just a point of view.

The saying "not exactly setting the world on fire" is usually a slightly sarky way of saying someone's playing poorly. That's the way I interpreted it. In any case Gower is supposedly killing 'em. Nick mallet has been reluctant to pick him because of his off-field dramas in Sydney based on browsing Wikipedia, not his form. Gower wants to speak to him to clarify things. For blokes with no Rugby background they're doing OK.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Apprentice
    vCash
    there is a quite a few aussies in pro 2 in france . chris siale nigel & graydon staniforth etc But japan still has a lot of good aussies playing there & some still capable of super 14 & is still a concern as the money is good & season short

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    No need to get bent out of shape. It's just a point of view.

The saying "not exactly setting the world on fire" is usually a slightly sarky way of saying someone's playing poorly. That's the way I interpreted it. In any case Gower is supposedly killing 'em. Nick mallet has been reluctant to pick him because of his off-field dramas in Sydney based on browsing Wikipedia, not his form. Gower wants to speak to him to clarify things. For blokes with no Rugby background they're doing OK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast