Thread: The First and Maybe Last Fresno Rugby Update

vCash

The First and Maybe Last Fresno Rugby Update

Without sounding too boastful, Fresno RFC are 2-0 after two preseason friendly matches. First on the schedule were California Highway 99 rivals Kern Rugby, who fell to Fresno 12-26. Fresno opened the match with a 20-minute blitz, scoring 3 tries, successfully converting twice. The remaining 20 minutes witnessed a slowdown as Kern's Tuskers adjusted defensively, and the at the half Fresno had scored once more, bringing the tally to 0-26. Fresno's second half offense proved paltry, managing no scores, while Kern rallied well to score twice, converting once, resulting in a final of 12-26 for Fresno. More recently, the FRFC dominated St. Mary's Gaels Club 54-19 in Fresno. Again Fresno pounced early, scoring 2 tries with the first 4 minutes. The remainder of the first 40 saw a constant Fresno barrage, half-time score, 47-0. The second half, much like the previous match, allowed Fresno to empty its reserves, giving players of all ages much needed experience. The match ended in a final of 54-19, Fresno. More importantly than the match results, the post-match socials displayed the spirit of rugby, hats off to Kern as generous and gracious hosts, as well as the Gaels, who, though thin in numbers, more than made up for that in the post-match celebration. Oh, and much to this man's shame, I must, in the spirit of journalistic (hah!) integrity, pass on a bit of sad news.. In a bitterly contested match, the snot-nosed lads of the under-30s barely, by the scantest of margins, vanquished the brave, noble over-30s in Fresno's 27th Annual Over v. Under Match. The Final was 27-17, but this reporter suspects some sort of cheating... Of note, the Overs still lead the series, 17-15 - ah next year-- RALLY FRESNO!!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    TC - I certainly hope this isn't the last we hear from the Fresno boys

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    X, come end of January 2009, the NORCAL DII season begins. Fresno have a tough row to hoe, but we have found some good young talent. No matter the results, I'm happy to share them, the most important thing is that the sport of rugby continues to grow. Despite my short time in the sport, I can tell everyone that the rugby community is unlike any other- the Non-Rugby World doesn't know what it's missing!!!

vCash
    TC what position are you - Long Live the over 35's it's great getting it over the young uns ?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    TQ1: I split time at wing and center - I prefer center, to be sure. I don't start; but that's fine, there's always plenty of playing time, especially in the B-side games! Oh, and next year those youngsters will pay!!!

vCash
    Fresno hosted Arroyo Grande last Saturday in both sides first league match:

Fresno over Arroyo Grande - 90-0
    This weekend Fresno opened league play against Arroyo Grande. Although the final score was lopsided A.G. never quit, and continued to put the pressure on for the entire game.

After being stuck in our own 22 for about five minutes Fresno absorbed early pressure and then unleashed the back line to score 14 unanswered tries over the next 75 minutes. Territorially the match was played between the half line and AG's goal line with more than half the tries scored from moves that started just inside Fresno's half. There were numerous 50+/- meter scores by Fresno's back line.

Tries:
    Louis Maxwell 3 tries
    Adam Wells 2 tries
    Jon Hanson 2 tries
    Mike Eckert 2 tries
    Mark Miranda 1 try
    Ryan Dorrance 1 try
    Andrew Clark 1 try
    Jordan Brenner 1 try
    Carl Chambers 1 try

Kicking duties:
    Roger Skinner 5/7
    Adam Wells 4/6
    Mike Eckert 1/2

Final Score was in Fresno's favor 90-0.

I lifted this recap from www.fresnorugby.com.... Someone's actually updating our site this year!??!! This coming Saturday we travel to defending league champions, East Palo Alto Razorbacks. This is going to be a tough match.. Rally Fresno!!!!!

vCash

East Palo Alto 29 Fresno RFC 14

Our "official" recap has yet to be posted; but here's the match referee's report (I am a lazy yard bird for not writing my own, I know):

EAST PALO ALTO 29 – Fresno 14 Referee: Preston Gordon
    Evaluator: Mike Malone

This was a very good and pretty fast game. There were several knock-ons and other
    technical errors over these 80 minutes, but for the most part, it was good counter-
    attacking, hard hitting, and very fairly contested rugby. Everybody seemed to enjoy the
    match - I certainly did. The weather was great, and the pitch had a bit more grass on it
    than I remember last spring. Beware the sprinkler holes though!

We got going right at 1300, and throughout the first half each side attempted to put their
    stamp on the game. The lead changed a couple of times, and we ended up at 12-14 to the
    visitors at the break. With a brace of tries to each side, EPA's missed conversion was the
    only difference.

In the second half EPA was able to apply a lot more pressure in the scrums, stealing a
    couple of feeds against the head while disrupting much of Fresno's ball. EPA seemed to get
    stronger as they finished the match, whereas their opponents seemed to fade a bit - the
    second half scoreline would appear to support this: EPA got 3 tries, converting one,
    against nothing for Fresno.

Thanks to both sides for maintaining discipline and also for using their ears during the
    match! Everybody understood very quickly that "ruck" meant no hands on the ball, and as
    a result, the tempo of the game was kept pretty high.

On the one hand, it's encouraging that we made a decent showing against the defending league champs at their home. Then again our weaknesses were exposed; now we see just how much work we need to do to become a true threat in the NORCAL... EPA come to Fresno in a few weeks, hopefully we can return the favor!

Last edited by thunderchicken9; 06-02-09 at 15:24. Reason: Rally Fresno : Nibble suck Gobble Bite Chew..?!!