Thread: Super 14 2009- The Blues

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Super 14 2009- The Blues

The Blues would have to be the team that I most enjoy watching lose, closely followed by the Waratahs. Probably due to Rua Tipoki’s absolutely disgraceful shot on James Hilgendorf in 2006 or the complete lack of sportsmanship shown by Blues captain Keven Mealamu and Ali Williams in not putting their hand up when they knowingly cheated for a try in Perth 2007. You could perhaps say that many players wouldn’t have admitted it but the fact is they had the opportunity and came up wanting. It is a completely indicative of the poisonous culture that grips the club. The Blues have arguably the best talent pool in the Super 14 drawing from almost half the population of the world’s best rugby nation and what do they have to show for it- one championship in the last 10 years. They should be so much better. Harsh but true.

Form from 2008
    The Blues started 2008 off with a bang- rolling out the wins with a double in South Africa and reaping the four try bonus points. Only to start falling apart as soon as star fly-half Nick Evans became injured. They shambled along with some narrow wins until the ultimate embarrassment- a 37-16 loss to the Waratahs in which the all-star front row of Woodcock, Mealamu and Afoa was bent like a slinky. They never really recovered from it and finished up in 6th- 2 points out of the finals. In the ANZC the Blues feeder teams were abysmal! After taking out the comp last year, their best ranked team Northland ended up in 9th with Auckland and North Harbour in 11th and 12th. This doesn’t bode too well for the Blues. Having said that, in previous years when they’ve done well in the ANZC they’ve been pretty average in the Super 14 so who really knows.

Comings and Goings
    The revolving doors of the Blues squad have once again been in full spin. We'll start with Super 14 winning coach David Nucifora coming out and Pat Lam the man groomed to replace him replacing him. Lam has coached around Auckland for quite some time and has had a successful stint with the Pacific Islanders. In as close as you can get to a straight swap the Blues have traded out Troy Flavell- a complete tool with discipline issues with Ali Williams- another complete tool with discipline issues. Let the good times roll! To add to the party younger brother Jay Williams has also joined the Blues squad. From the Blues forward stocks all star flanker Daniel Braid has moved on to the Reds while juggernaut Nick Williams and Nick White are also long gone. Dynamic Highlander backrower Josh Blackie has come in to fill the gaps.

The big two losses the Blues face are the black hole left by Isa Nacewa and Nick Evans. Any team is lucky to have two such brilliant fly-halves and is very unlucky to have lost them to Europe. Jimmy Gopperth and Tasesa Lavea are, in the words of the fat woman from Deuce Bigalow, the toothpicks trying to fill the volcano. Former junior player of the year Ben Atiga along with David Smith and George Pisi have all left the back divisions followed by halfback Danny Lee. New Zealand journeyman Chris Smylie comes into the squad at halfback.

Players to watch out for
    Anthony Boric came in to the All Blacks squad this year when Brad Thorn was out with a suspension. Many pundits hailed this rising star but I thought he was pretty average and really showed up the complete lack of depth of second row stocks in New Zealand. Boric's inclusion in my players to watch out for is indicative of how uninspiring the Blues forwards are this year. Not lacking talent and experience but lacking that amazing young tyro who will bring back the vigour and enthusiasm to the old heads in the pack.

After a pretty solid debut season Benson Stanley looks set to add to his handful of caps with at least a handful more. He'll probably start on the bench at first but don't be surprised if he busts past the floppy Isaia Toeava to nail down a starting spot at 12. The kid has all the skills and the only thing that will hold him back is the lack of a mature and experienced leader in the backs who can guide him and develop him into the superstar he could well be.

Prediction in 2009
    The Blues are stale. Outside of a new coach there isn't really anything exciting happening in Auckland this year. Pretty much the same old forwards who haven't really 'brought it' for a while. They are really good players but if they weren't good enough in past years why will they be this year? Meanwhile the huge amount of talent in the backs is counterbalanced by the complete lack of leadership or control out of the 9/10/12 area. It's a good thing Lam has been around the Auckland set-up for a while because if a totally new coach was brought in the Blues would be looking at a bit of a horror season. Not one of those feeder ANZC teams made the top 8! Scary. The Blues will win a handful, particularly early on before injuries strike, but in a year when the mid-table is going to be really congested could end up pretty low. I'm tipping 9th.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Buzz about Blues as pre-season starts

Monday, 08 December 2008
    By JOHN LAZO-RON
    • Howick and Pakuranga Times

GETTING the basics done well early on is the key to a successful build-up to next year’s Super 14 season, according to new Blues rugby coach Pat Lam.

UNCERTAIN: New Blues five-eighths import from Wellington, Michael Hobbs, isn't sure what role he'll play next season. Times photo John Lazo-Ron.
    Lam joined the majority of the Blues squad, bar their All Blacks, last week as they reassembled to kick-off their pre-season training campaign.

This season’s Auckland Air NZ Cup coach, who takes over the Blues helm from Australian David Nucifora, says he’s enthused about the upcoming challenge and there’s already a good buzz in the Blues camp.

“It’s a great challenge,” says Lam. “I’m really excited about the way the boys have shown that they’re really enthusiastic and keen. There’s just been a good feel and a real sense of excitement.

“Every year gets harder and faster, so the physical side needs to be done. The key thing for us is just getting our basics done well, which is our catching and passing.

“Right through till Christmas we’ll be focusing on all those core skills. Then we’ll build up when we come back after New Years for our first pre-season game. Everything’s been well planned and we’re happy where we’re at.”

CAMPAIGN LEADER: New Blues coach Pat Lam. Photo supplied.
    The Blues have been handed a tough Super 14 draw to start off, with their first match to be played in Perth against the Western Force, before heading to South Africa for three games.

Despite teams in the past always dreading the tour to the republic, Lam says all New Zealand sides have to do it eventually, so they’ll be making no excuses and just do their best to prepare.

“It’s a challenge to go away, but you’ve got to go there at some stage. You’ve got to play everyone, so there’s no issues and if we can do well over there it will set us up nicely.”

Lam says the Blues’ All Blacks won’t be back until the end of January. He’s not concerned about the lack of time they’ll have with the squad before the Super 14 starts, as he understands they need a rest and was also impressed with their form during the recent UK and Ireland Grand Slam success.

BLUES SUPER 14 PRE-SEASON
    v Chiefs, January 17, Pukekohe Stadium
    v Hurricanes, January 23, North Harbour Stadium
    v Queensland Reds, January 30, Waitakere Stadium
    “It’s important they get a good rest,” says Lam. “We’ll have a camp when they get back, but it’s more an open door policy. If they want to come back early it’s up to them. It’s important they get as much time away from rugby as possible. There’s enough trust there to know they’ll come back and look after themselves.”

Next year’s Blues squad sees a lot of new faces involved, including former Hurricane Jimmy Gopperth (now North Harbour) and young Wellingtoninan first-five Michael Hobbs.

Hobbs, 21, has arrived on the scene at a time when the No 10 position has become an issue for the Blues. Last season they tried a few players including Tasesa Lavea and All Black Isaia Toeava.

Hobbs says he isn’t certain about what role he’ll play in the side, as he can also play in the midfield. He’s looking to get as much experience as possible and if an opportunity comes up, he’ll take it.

“I’m not really sure what Pat and Shane’s [Howarth, Blues assistant coach] plans are for me, whether they want me to play first-five or second-five,” says Hobbs.

“We have some boys who have been around the Super 14 like Jimmy and Tasesa, so I’m just trying to learn as much from them as I can and improve my game in the pre-season and get the body in the right shape.

“But if the opportunity arises I’ll just try and put my best foot forward and repay Pat and the coaching staff for the opportunity they have given me here.”

http://www.times.co.nz:80/cms/sport/...son_starts.php

vCash
    the Reds were trying to sign Winston and Benson Stanley, the two brothers, one is still only 19 but they are both at the Blues either in the squad or academy.

They are both from Brisbane, but moved back to Auckland in there teenager years. I think they may have being born in NZ though, or at least one of them was.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What positions TOCC?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Lams a good coach. He was one of the possibles for Wallabies assistant under Deans. Isa Nacewa, Nick Evans and Daniel Braid are huge loses. To lose your flyhalves and your up and coming loosie is a big hit to any squad. Likelyto lack depth mid to late in the season.

I'd say Blues S14 finish mid table 7th-9th.

vCash
    I reckon if they can keep the Williams brothers on the field they'll hit about 5 If (as I expect) Ali goes completely mental because there's nobody to tell him to pull his ugly melon in they'll not get past 8.

First game in Perth will be a firecracker. I wager Sharpie will niggle Williams all day and eventually get him sent off.
    Gits will have a field day and the boys'll be looking to make some journos eat a bit of humble pie........That'll set the Blues up for a horror tour of South Africa, after which Ali Williams will replace Burger as the poster boy for psychopathy.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A favourite image of '08 for me is Chukka getting right in Ali's face roaring at him.
    Classic bully, feigned a couple of punches but really didn't know how to handle such a (comparatively) little dude getting up him, classic stuff!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    What positions TOCC?
    both play midfield, Benson was born in NSW and Winston was born in Brisbane
    they are also related to St George Illawara winger Chase Stanley

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    both play midfield, Benson was born in NSW and Winston was born in Brisbane
    they are also related to St George Illawara winger Chase Stanley
    I think their father was a famous player too. Not sure though a bit before my time.

vCash
    Thanks for the well-researched NZ S14 2009 team reviews... It's good to talk rugby still 2 months off. Are you going to cover the SA and OZ teams? When you have time of cause...

I guess we could list where everyone thinks each team will perform…

I think this Super 14 season 2009 will be a very open competition unlike recent years…

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Thanks for the well-researched NZ S14 2009 team reviews... It's good to talk rugby still 2 months off. Are you going to cover the SA and OZ teams? When you have time of cause...

I guess we could list where everyone thinks each team will perform…

I think this Super 14 season 2009 will be a very open competition unlike recent years…
    Moving onto South Africa next. Only annoying thing is they never usually release their squads until January so it can be a pain in the ass scrolling back through news reels to keep up with who had left and who had stayed. I must admit I was pretty amazed at the low quality job inside rugby did keeping up with them. Missed a good half a dozen who've gone.

vCash
    James ...I look forwarrd to your team reports...I understand the SA may be a little difficult...cheers