Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Premier all but kills hope for new stadium

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Premier all but kills hope for new stadium

Premier all but kills hope for new stadium

Colin Barnett has all but ruled out building a totally new stadium at Subiaco, saying yesterday that it would offer no improvement for football fans until 2016.

This is despite the previous government saying that under its proposal to build a new stadium, 40,000 new seats would have been available in time for the 2014 AFL season, equal to the number contained in the existing stadium.

The Premier told ABC radio that while a final decision had yet to be made, it was a “fair assumption” that the existing Subiaco Oval would be rebuilt progressively to a capacity of 55,000 seats rather than completely redeveloped as a 60,000-seat multi-purpose stadium capable of accommodating all football codes and cricket.

rest of the article from the West

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the immediate question now is what about rectangular codes? The Force surely can't survive a prolonged stay at Subiaco
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    55,000 seats .. wow they are thinking long term aren't they???? FFS

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    rather typical of this state building for what they need now instead of what they need for the future. Thats what they did when they redeveloped Subiaco 10ish years ago
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    But the WAFC did that.

vCash
    yeah and the WAFC ran out of money half way and went cap in hand the government and the government coughed up the money to pay for it

Richard Court led Liberal government I might add
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    the immediate question now is what about rectangular codes? The Force surely can't survive a prolonged stay at Subiaco
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Too true, unfortuantely. Hope the RugbyWA types have made that abundantly clear to the govenment.

It's a shame Subi is going to continue to be the 'premier' stadium for the forseeable future. We can kiss goodbye any chance of the half-decent fixtures coming our way for the 2015 cricket world cup too.

While it'd be political suicide to do nothing to Subi now, it seems a bit daft to spend all this money on expanding Subi if they're going to revisit a new stadium again in 5 years 'when the business cycle turns again'.

Last edited by Swee_82; 07-11-08 at 08:04.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    It's a shame Subi is going to continue to be the 'premier' stadium for the forseeable future. We can kiss goodbye any chance of the half-decent fixtures coming our way for the 2015 cricket world cup too.
    Cricket was never going to move to the new ground and the WACA is undertaking steps to both enusure it's long term survival and increase the size of the ground to 30,000, should be done by then if the permits go through (according to a few things I have read at least)

The fixtures should be good for the 2015 World Cup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Cricket was never going to move to the new ground and the WACA is undertaking steps to both enusure it's long term survival and increase the size of the ground to 30,000, should be done by then if the permits go through (according to a few things I have read at least)

The fixtures should be good for the 2015 World Cup
    Cricket as a whole wasn't going to move, but my understanding was the one-off high profile matches (such as the workd cup) would go the the MPS, so it would have helped.

vCash
    The WACA had stated that all Cricket was going to be played at the WACA. That stuff was what the Government was saying about big matches being played at it's white elephant.

I wonder if having Dennis Lillee as WACA president, someone who is against those rubbish drop in pitches had anything to do with it

vCash
    Barry House (also a cricketer) agreed with Lillee, I'd suggest the drop in pitch thing is pretty close to dead.

I reckon the idea of redeveloping stadia isn't as bad as Langoulant makes it sound. There have been tons of stadium upgrades all over the world and most users seem to be happy with what they've got. I think the issue is that you have to put up with a fair bit of hassle while the building is actually going on.

Look at the MCG it certainly isn't the same joint it was 100 years ago, but it seems to be OK for what we need. They'll even play Bledisloe Cup matches there if they need to!

What I really want to see is some definitive statement about the state of play for the rectangular option. Footy and Cricket CAN co-exist on a single oval (at least they seem to be able to manage it with the MCG) but the rectangle - oval thing is a much different bucket of worms!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'd suggest the drop in pitch thing is pretty close to dead.
    It is, the MCG and SCG I think are the only grounds that use them. The GABBA/Events Queensland told the AFL to "shove it" when the AFL asked them to reconsider the use of drop in pitches during the winter

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A little known bit of usless trivia for you.
    At school, WACA Curator Cameron Sutherland was known as "Whacko".
    So now you have Whacko at the WACA!!!
    I understand he does a fantastic job though and has done a huge amount to get the famous bounce back into the pitch by importing soils from the SW etc.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    the whole pitch square has been redone now, before last season they only did half the square before the 07/08 season and they re-did the rest of it during the off season before the current season

unfortunately the 3rd test against India in January was on the half that had not been re-done hence why it was not as fast and bouncy as some had liked/predicted

Looks good this season so far and I look forward to seeing Brett Lee charging in and terrifying some Saffer batsmen in December

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    With the Keeper and four Slips half way back to the fence like the good old days

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast