Thread: Wallaby reps call for Wembley investigation

vCash

Wallaby reps call for Wembley investigation

Posted Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:50am AEDT
    Updated Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:49am AEDT
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...11/2443372.htm
    A players' union has called for an investigation into the safety of the playing surface at Wembley Stadium after two Australians were injured in last week's match against the Barbarians in London.

Wallaby prop Matt Dunning ruptured his Achilles tendon and fellow front rower Sekope Kepu tore a pectoral muscle when a scrum collapsed during the match.

The Rugby Union Players' Association wants to know whether there is link between the injuries and the state of the pitch.

"From discussions I have had it was very, very unstable under foot," RUPA boss Tony Dempsey told the Daily Telegraph on Wednesday.

"The employers are the ARU and as such they have a duty of care to ensure safe playing surfaces for the players. It is something definitely worth exploring." Both players are facing extended stints on the sidelines with Dunning, who underwent surgery this week, at most risk.

Local media have speculated that the 30-year-old's playing career could be in jeopardy because he comes off contract at the end of 2009.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    I think MES has a similar problem. The surface is prepared to suit soccer rather than the demands of rugby. There has been some evidence of this during the MARC and past warm-up matches held there and it might be worth looking out for during the Crusaders match in a few weeks time.

vCash
    considering Football is the only Full time occupent of MES at the moment you can't really complain, same with Wembley. They should have looked at the surface before the game, instead of conducting a review after

vCash
    I agree, The Crusaders trial probably won't be much of an issue, being the first trial of the season for both teams, I can't imagine the set-piece will get a big workout (you never know it depends where the forwards decide to focus and when) I would think that the upgrade to MES would include pitch improvements to cater for this. Let's face it Rugby will be the 'prority tenant' if it happens!

C'mon the