Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Western Force loosens John Mitchell's iron grip

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was also asking Dave too because I'm from Currambine. So sharing a view over a beer was possible.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    i certainly dont mean to offend anyone by my comments.

i will put it this way in rugby terms. that i have been involved in rugby for 32 years.

Rookie
    vCash
    i understand now gerry. but i am working overseas so a beer is a tough call

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Apprentice
    vCash

Unhappy

Chaps, Did you see the article in the West yesterday saying that the team had been training for ten days under Mulvers and John was nowhere to be seen ? Doesn't feel good to me !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joondalup dave View Post
    true burgs but a lot off the noise made off the field has been made about the coach.
    Ah of course....when the boys kicked those quokkas it was because they mistook them for Mitchell...likewise when Henners smacked Haig in the jaw...he thought it was Mitchell not Haig....it all makes sense again.

Quote Originally Posted by joondalup dave View Post
    i am english , i am sorry but i dont think it is appropriate to ask personal questions.

obviously dont know enough about rugby for you guys
    Ok. How about we make it easy for you. I'll start. Perhaps you'll open up more...

My name is Jehna. I'm 22. I'm a Libran. I like long walks on the beach, and ice cream, and chocolate, and vanilla milkshakes, and crunchy leaves, and the beach, and...is this getting too personal?

Buddy...we just want to know where your interest in rugby lies and your experience with the game. A simple..."I've been a fan since *insert year here* and make it a point to follow the game" would have sufficed...this isn't the spanish inquisition. You just tend to earn a little more respect if your opinions are supported by a) evidence; b) reputation.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Joondalup Dave your opinion is welcome - but you seem genuine and informed which is scary as I always thought John Mitchell was held is high regard amongst players and staff alike - kinda hope you are winding us up but from the way you are blogging you seem to be coming from a Force Fan point of view.

Hope you'll feel free to join us at a TWF outing like the awards night with Richard Brown we are fairly normal on here but are maybe a little over protective of our especially as they never seem to be in the press for the right reasons. Albeit there does not seem to be a way of getting into the paper for the right reasons anyways.

Sincerely hope you are wrong - but welcome anyways.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No place for mumbo jumbo
    DOUG GOLIGHTLY COLUMN

Sunday News | Sunday, 07 December 2008

THE ALARM bells start ringing when you read this sort of corporate owner-operator nonsense: "We align teams by creating shared vision and behaviours that empower all members of the team to engage in open dialogue."

Yeah right!

It's all part of the "vision" from the brainwashing outfit that's been an integral part of the Black Caps during John Bracewell's watch.

Called Leading Teams this Aussie-based business cult should more accurately be named Misleading Times given how they've divided the Caps and confused some of our leading players.

And unfortunately, this mumbo-jumbo nonsense only resulted in the Black Caps regularly flying the white flag as they did in Adelaide, dropping to eighth in the world test rankings and becoming a laughing stock on the world stage.

Hopefully though it's all over and Misleading Times can go back to working with boofhead AFL sides and corporate outfits who have more money than sense in trying to artificially manufacture some sort of Mickey Mouse team environment.

Interestingly the Warriors used this outfit this year but after a dismal time decided to boot the self-styled new-age gurus into touch.

As one insider at the Warriors told me: "It resulted in confusion, resentment and distrust among the players. These players like each other and found it terribly tough to put the boot into their mates. It was a waste of time."

Mind you, we would never have realised the extent of this team tearing crap if Martin Crowe hadn't taken such a courageous stand.

Talking to me on Sportstalk (NewstalkZB and Radio Sport) on Monday night following the surrender in Adelaide the former Black Caps skipper and world-class batsmen pointed the finger at the corporate outfit and Bracewell for selling us short.

It was gutsy stuff from Crowe and revealed the passion he's got for the game. It probably also illustrates why we've lost some tough battle-hardened competitors like Stephen Fleming, Chris Cairns, Nathan Astle, fellow Sunday News columnist Craig McMillan, Scott Styris and Lou Vincent from the ranks.

None of those blokes would have been thrilled at the prospect of filling in a questionnaire at the end of a hard day's slog out in the middle. Rather a beer or a chat in the dressing room, words of encouragement and an assessment of the day.

Another well-regarded player, Ken Rutherford, backed up Crowe when he told me: "I'm not going to harp on about how we did things but this sort of assessment stuff doesn't impress me especially at the end of a day. Look, there's blokes you are never going to get on with but it's amazing what a six pack of Speights and a talk with all the guys will achieve at the end of the day.

"I agree with Martin and that's probably a first about this. You have to be self sufficient and you shouldn't have this sort of brainwashing nonsense going on.

"If you want to seek out someone outside the team for a chat then so be it but you have to make the first move.

"I know it's old fashioned but when you're in a team guess what you're in a team. You're all part of it and don't need idiots from Fantasyland telling you to assess your mates. It's whacky and that's being kind."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4784789a15599.html

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    "I know it's old fashioned but when you're in a team guess what you're in a team. You're all part of it and don't need idiots from Fantasyland telling you to assess your mates. It's whacky and that's being kind."
    Sums it up nicely.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    JOHN Mitchell's all-powerful grip on the Western Force is weakening amid speculation about his long-term future as head coach of the Super 14 team.

In his first three seasons at the helm, Mitchell has been the main authority on team issues.

But Force chief executive Greg Harris has introduced a new power-sharing structure, which will give assistant coaches and senior players more input into how the team prepares and plays.

It is a model Harris has borrowed from AFL club the Sydney Swans where he was once chairman of selectors.

Harris will chair the Force's match committee, which includes assistant coaches John Mulvihill and Tom Fearn and captain and vice-captain Nathan Sharpe and Matt Giteau as well as the team's strength and conditioning coach, Hayden Masters.

While Sharpe and Giteau were absent with the Wallabies, Tai McIsaac and Scott Staniforth sat on the committee during the pre-season.

It is a significant change to the way the Force has operated in its first three years.

There was a feeling in Perth that the Force players did not have enough say in how the team was playing and the assistant coaches did not have sufficient authority in their areas of expertise. The new structure is designed to take pressure off Mitchell, who has had to build the expansion team from scratch.

Not only has Mitchell attracted leading Wallabies such as Giteau to the west, he has also developed emerging talent such as openside flanker David Pocock and utility back James O'Connor.

All indications are that Mitchell will remain in Perth next year, but it appears less certain whether he will see out the final two years of his contract in 2010 and 2011.

Mitchell was the right man for the job when the fledgling Force was seeking a foundation coach, his international reputation helping the team recruit big-name players such as Sharpe and Brendan Cannon to Perth.

Although the Force only won one game (and drew two) in its first Super 14 season in 2006, the new team was competitive from the outset, playing an attractive brand of attacking rugby.

With the acquisition of Giteau, the Force was the big improver of the 2007 season, finishing in seventh place with a 6-1-6 win-draw-loss record.

Although the Force produced its most number of wins this season (7-6), it slipped to eighth place on the table.

The was speculation Mitchell's no-nonsense approach alienated some Force players, but the club has dismissed suggestions of a player revolt. Giteau, who has received a big offer from French club Bayonne, has sought legal advice on being released from his Force contract next year and is almost certain to return to the Brumbies in 2010, while outside back Drew Mitchell is also believed to want to leave Perth.

In his defence, Mitchell had to get hard on the players after off-field incidents involving former halfback Matt Henjak (who punched team-mate Haig Sare) and number eight Scott Fava (who manhandled a quokka on Rottnest Island) which damaged the team's image. Mitchell has indicated he wants to remain as Force coach, but there was also talk that he has been in discussions with clubs in Europe.

The Force may also decide after four years that the team's leadership needs freshening.

Whether Mitchell stays or goes in the long term may depend on the Force's ability to retain and recruit players and how the new match committee structure works out.

Mitchell, a former All Blacks coach, is the first foreigner to guide an Australian Super 14 team.

Read more..

I am sure the other Super 14 teams are laughing, rubbing their hands together, with all this horrible bickering, back stabbing, rumours and inuendos, going on with our Team. Please stop, and get back to the business of getting our men ready for the new season. We will be sorry to see Gitz go, and any other player who follows like a herd of sheep, but go if they must..no one is indispensable.
    Mitch has had to be tough, lets face it he has had a tough task, starting a new Super 14 from sratch, and bringing errant players into line for the sake of the Club's name. Gosh they aren't babies (are they??), dicipline has to be achieved! Give him a break, he has a job to do, and I know he's the best coach for us.
    Roll on the season for 2009....Lets get on with it, and enough of all this "spitting the Dummy"....we don't want ANY prima donnas in our team...!!!:

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post

I am sure the other Super 14 teams are laughing, rubbing their hands together, with all this horrible bickering, back stabbing, rumours and inuendos, going on with our Team. Please stop, and get back to the business of getting our men ready for the new season. We will be sorry to see Gitz go, and any other player who follows like a herd of sheep, but go if they must..no one is indispensable.
    Mitch has had to be tough, lets face it he has had a tough task, starting a new Super 14 from sratch, and bringing errant players into line for the sake of the Club's name. Gosh they aren't babies (are they??), dicipline has to be achieved! Give him a break, he has a job to do, and I know he's the best coach for us.
    Roll on the season for 2009....Lets get on with it, and enough of all this "spitting the Dummy"....we don't want ANY prima donnas in our team...!!!:

you have said this already - what did you do cut and paste it?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7