Thread: Benji Marshall is all but certain to quit the NRL and play rugby in England

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Benji Marshall is all but certain to quit the NRL and play rugby in England

Benji Marshall is all but certain to quit the NRL and play rugby in England

By Chris Wilson
    December 07, 2008 BENJI Marshall was just another touch football player in Port Macquarie on Saturday - a world away from Suncorp Stadium two weeks ago.

But it's Marshall's next move that will stun the rugby league world, with the 23-year-old poised to defect to rugby union in Europe.

The Sunday Telegraph understands Marshall has all but decided to quit and is likely to tell the Tigers within a week.

English Super League clubs have shown interest, but Marshall is set to cross codes, following former NRL stars Craig Gower, Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier to rugby union.

Despite a torturous run with injury, Marshall has already captured the biggest prizes in rugby league - a 2005 premiership with the Tigers and the World Cup with New Zealand.

Now the money is on him playing rugby union in England.

It was only two weeks ago that Marshall joined Kiwi team-mates in kissing the rugby league World Cup and blowing raspberries at critics who said he was too scared to trouble the Australia team.

On Saturday, Marshall was back in a black and white uniform, this time with his Sydney touch footy club Wests.

Interestingly, Marshall represented Australia in mixed touch at the 2003 world cup in Japan, snatching the title back from New Zealand.

This weekend he is the star of the NSW State Cup in Port Macquarie, where the 5000 participants well out-number spectators.

Marshall has played with Wests since he was 17, but coach Tony Trad said his contract negotiations were not up for discussion. "We don't pry into that. Benji's one of the boys, we don't ask him about his work and he doesn't ask about ours," Trad said.

Marshall will leave Australia on Tuesday for a holiday with friends in Whistler, Canada. He's not expected to be back for Tigers pre-season training until the New Year.

The loss of Marshall would be a huge blow to the Tigers, who are also fighting to retain hooker Robbie Farah beyond next year.

Coach Tim Sheens, also off contract at the end of 2009, said he had been encouraged by Marshall's performance during the World Cup.

It consolidated Sheens' opinion that Marshall will line up for the Tigers at half-back next season.

"It's no secret I've talked about experimenting with him at seven," Sheens said. "I'm not saying that's where he's going to play, I'm just saying I've got an inkling to experiment with him there.

"I'm hoping next year will be an improvement.

"I'm hoping Benji will develop his game in the area of maturity and his skill around the halves to direct a game.

"I still think there's a lot of work for him to do, but he's come a long way in the last 12 months.

"I think it's a lot brighter, the prospect of his next season."

It might seem like a come down from World Cup celebrations, but Trad said Marshall enjoyed being back at the grassroots of touch football.

"The fans love watching his skill, his foot speed and his passing game. It's been a big boost to the tournament in general," Trad said. "I think the fans are pretty excited watching him play, but he's the same bloke to us. We've known him since he was a young fella. While we're very happy to have him, he's just another one of the team and we don't treat him any differently."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Benji Marshall is a phenomenal talent. Ball skills and step are amongst the best in the business. But, he is tiny. He has a history of shoulder injuries that would without doubt reduce his playing career in League.

Tigers will not want to lose him.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I wonder if the writer knows that Marshall's background is actually rugby union...

vCash
    Translation.

I'm only 23 and my shoulders have rarely it through a season in the past five years. I've been on the phone to my mate SBW and he says I'd better quit the NRL and try to cash in on some of those buckets of Euros before they are completely shot.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    bigger money in europe, forget the contract im off!

vCash
    I guess he would play as a halfback and not a flyhalf...

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Benji Marshall re-signs with Wests Tigers

BENJI Marshall has ditched thoughts of playing rugby union and re-signed with NRL club Wests Tigers.

Only last month the 24-year-old attacking whizz threatened to sue the NRL if it didn't agree to his request for a release to play rugby union in Japan.

But Marshall has agreed to a new deal with Tigers which see him remain at the joint-venture club until at least the end of 2011...
    REST

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    typical mungo ploy of threatening to go to union so as to get a better deal

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He is no loss, or would have been no gain to Union.
    A goose step away from oblivion...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    One thing I always check when teams line up is the height and weight of the players.

Some of the Guinness Premiership half backs are quite small, some are 13 stone (thats 82 kegs) and one the other day was only 11.9 stone 75 kegs.

Marshall doesn't look like the biggest player so maybe he'd have to take the half back spot.

Incidentaly one of the wingers was 6 foot 5 and 110 kegs, nice if that's running at you at full pace and some of the props were 20 stone (127 kegs +).

Sounds silly from a welsh rugby fan but the Guinness Premiership is a fantastic comp with some awesome rugby played each week. Another win in the last minute again this week.