Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Giteau wants to play Super 14, but not sure where

vCash

Matt Giteau wants to play Super 14, but not sure where

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

WESTERN Force star Matt Giteau has given his strongest indication yet that he may not play Super 14 in Perth next year.
    "I want to be playing in Australia but I can't say where that will be," he told The Sunday Times from London before flying to the US for Christmas.

There is a lot of talk concerning Matt Giteau's playing future. Will he stay or will he go? Have your say - place your vote below and leave a comment.

The Wallaby five-eighth is contracted to the Force until the end of the 2009 competition but said he has had no official talks with the club since leaving on the Wallaby tour.

"I've not had any personal contact with the Force and that's been a problem. I wouldn't mind talking to them," he said.

"I need to sit down and talk it over with the Force, my manager, my family and girlfriend. I've got to sit down and have a lengthy, proper discussion and get a few things clear.

"I really can't say what I want to do at the moment because I really haven't made up my mind. I can't say because I just don't know.

"Perth is a great place and I've really enjoyed the last two years. It's got a great lifestyle, great people and I've always said I love it in Perth but that's only one of the things I have to consider.

"There are many factors, like where I'm going to develop best, where I'm going to grow as a player and as a person.

"Australian rugby is where I want to be. Playing for the Wallabies is something special and we're embarking on something special."

The Force, obviously keen to keep a player of Giteau's calibre, is confident it has a binding contract.

The club has kept a deliberately low profile and is understood to have had little communication initiated by Giteau's manager James Erskine.

A clause keeping Giteau in Perth until 2011 was the stumbling block to the $1.6 million third party offer to replace money lost by the collapse of fuel-tech company Firepower.

"My contract is with the Force until 2009. That was what was what I was hoping to get. It's not just about money," he said.

He admitted being under pressure after French club Bayonne offered him an $8m, four-year deal.

"I need a break from rugby. I need to freshen up and think about things away from rugby. While I'm away I'll take a good look at where I want to be," he said.

Giteau is also contracted to the Australian Rugby Union until the next World Cup in 2011 and ARU chief executive John O'Neill said: "As far as we're concerned he is not going anywhere."

If Giteau broke a contract to play in Bayonne, that club would be sanctioned by the French Rugby Union. If the matter was still not resolved the IRB could penalise the French governing body.

Ironically Bayonne says it may ask the IRB to help secure Giteau.

"If Matt accepts to sign for Bayonne, the club will help him and support him and push the International Rugby Union to have him selected for the Wallabies," Pierre Vandome, the Paris-based agent acting as the conduit between Bayonne and Giteau's management, said.

"It is only fair. If we want to develop the game everywhere, they (the ARU) have to accept someone like Matt playing overseas.

"Bayonne would be more than happy for Matt to play for the Wallabies. They will release him anywhere, anytime."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    People can’t chase Matt Giteau all over the world waiting for him to make his mind up and ask for a meeting. He should front up and say what he wants.

"I want to be playing in Australia but I can't say where that will be," he told The Sunday Times from London before flying to the US for Christmas.

I can understand he needs a break from it all but he is cutting it thin if he was to ask for a release from the Force. John Mitchell stated in other day in an interview in Sydney that he expects to see Matt with the Force Wallabies back in Perth, January 5.

I think the longer he leaves it the decision the more likely he is to stay with the Force for 2009. or

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    \.

I can understand he needs a break from it all but he is cutting it thin if he was to ask for a release from the Force. John Mitchell stated in other day in an interview in Sydney that he expects to see Matt with the Force Wallabies back in Perth, January 5.
    He might be lonely then...the rest of the squad don't get back till the 15th January.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post

He admitted being under pressure after French club Bayonne offered him an $8m, four-year deal.
    Initially this deal was reported at $10m, then $9.6m. Does this mean the $9.6m included $1.6m third party payments from the french equivalent of firepower?

vCash
    didn't the ARU say that they expect Gits to honour the final year of his initial Force contract?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    15th Jan makes more sense, the article had the Force Wallabies players returning on the 5th...it didn't sound like the whole team...

vCash
    interesting date the 15th, could be a big day in more ways than one......

vCash
    WESTERN Force star Matt Giteau has given his strongest indication yet that he may not play Super 14 in Perth next year.
    At the risk of sounding needlessly harsh, that statement has me rethinking my opinion on Mr Giteau. I've said repeatedly already that while I'd like him to stay beyond his 2009 contract, looks like he and Erksine want to see the Force jump through hoops just to see him honour that much of the contract.

Of all the things the Force should be worrying about at this stage of the pre-season, the presence of a contracted player shoudn't be one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    People can’t chase Matt Giteau all over the world waiting for him to make his mind up and ask for a meeting. He should front up and say what he wants.
    True. But they've also got to give him time to make a decision. Like he said, there are so many things to consider and this is his entire future right now. This is the first opportunity he has had to consider all his options without having to worry about anything else...i.e. playing actual games. Give him a break. He will front up and say what he wants. He just wants to be sure of what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    At the risk of sounding needlessly harsh, that statement has me rethinking my opinion on Mr Giteau. I've said repeatedly already that while I'd like him to stay beyond his 2009 contract, looks like he and Erksine want to see the Force jump through hoops just to see him honour that much of the contract.

Of all the things the Force should be worrying about at this stage of the pre-season, the presence of a contracted player shoudn't be one of them.
    Fair call Swee but i'm also willing to think the statement may have been taken out of context. We assume that the comment is in relation to next year because the reporter opened his article with that line....Gits could have been talking post 2009 in relation to his ARU contract, the French deal etc etc. He has stated himself that he indeds to honour his 2009 contract with the Force

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post

Fair call Swee but i'm also willing to think the statement may have been taken out of context. We assume that the comment is in relation to next year because the reporter opened his article with that line
    Yeah, that's a fair enough point. He'd have to be aware of how a statement like that woudl play in the press though. I'd have thought Nick Taylor was probably a bit less likely to be pushing a "OMG gits is leaving" barrow than some other reporters though.

Last edited by Swee_82; 07-12-08 at 12:36.

Rookie
    vCash
    Hi guys. Haven't been on for a while.
    Jehna, what else can it mean. The story is pretty clear to me. Matt says "I really can't say what I want to do at the moment because I really haven't made up my mind. I can't say because I just don't know."
    The reporter has simply introduced the story using a version of Matt's own words.
    ...WESTERN Force star Matt Giteau has given his strongest indication yet that he may not play Super 14 in Perth next year....
    At least The Sunday Times reporter Nick Taylor made an effort to interview Matt. I haven't seen a Worst Australian reporter speak to him, and I don't count pie eater Growden as a West reporter.

Last edited by paul; 07-12-08 at 11:56.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    Fair call Swee but i'm also willing to think the statement may have been taken out of context. We assume that the comment is in relation to next year because the reporter opened his article with that line....Gits could have been talking post 2009 in relation to his ARU contract, the French deal etc etc. He has stated himself that he indeds to honour his 2009 contract with the Force
    Yeah, but he must be aware of the rumours that are being created out of his statements, so it would not be unreasonable to expect an official statement from him if he is going to honour his contract, the fans of The Western Force and the team. Simple if you ask me.

Just happy to be here

Rookie
    vCash
    Yeah you're probably right on all points there Swee. Gits must know what he is saying and Nick Taylor always seems to get to talk to him. I don't think he pushes the "He's leaving shock horror" like some others. He seems to be pretty in the know with players

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    didn't the ARU say that they expect Gits to honour the final year of his initial Force contract?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Faced with the prospect of losing him altogether, the ARU may cave into to the lesser demand by allowing him to break from the Force and head to another Australian franchise.

Personally, I would rather see him go sooner rather than have the next few weeks getting flooded with brinkmanship.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast