Zimbabwe may not have set the world on fire at this year’s Emirates Airlines Dubai Rugby Sevens, but the African side were always going to be up against it this season.

South Africa carried the flag for the continent, seeing off an impressive England side in the final to set the early benchmark for the season.

Kenya too impressed as they were narrowly edged out in the Plate final by heavyweight Samoa.

But poor Zimbabwe did not even make a final, as they were beaten in the semi-finals of the Bowl, 17-12 by eventual winners France. They only managed the one win all weekend, against a young Scotland side.

Coach Liam Middleton offered no excuses, but the odds were well and truly stacked against the side.

Middleton spoke of injuries to key men. But a quick chat about preparations for Dubai gave a startling insight into his side’s plight.

He told 7DAYS: “We had a training camp and we were set back by fuel shortages, water shortages and power shortages. Those things really impact on the team and it can cause the players to become quite down - there are so many problems and distractions.”

Middleton’s an optimist though, without doubt. And if his infectious enthusiasm is anything to go by, the Africans will be on the charge when they are back in town at the World Cup in March.

They qualified after reaching the final in Tunisia, only losing to Kenya.

And Middleton said: “We have to prepare as well as we can once we are in a tournament.

We are on an even keel with other teams and I think in the last three tournaments we have made two Shields and a Bowl, and I think that’s a pretty good return. The training facilities we have are very good - fields are well looked after and the equipment is good. Our camps are well done.

“The issue is the socio-economic environment. Guys going to training, its difficult when fuel is short.

“Some supermarkets sponsor food for us, but there was a cholera outbreak recently so we have to be careful with water. We face some huge challenges but I always say to our players whatever we are faced with can only strengthen our resolve.”

courtesy:www.7days.ae