Thread: Mr Sheehan gets chance to shine for Wallabies against Barbarians

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mr Sheehan gets chance to shine for Wallabies against Barbarians

Mr Sheehan gets chance to shine for Wallabies against Barbarians

By Darren Walton
    December 02, 2008 BRETT Sheehan received the call he'd been waiting five weeks for when asked to start at half-back for Australia in Thursday's (EDT) clash with the Barbarians at Wembley.

While coach Robbie Deans won't reveal his full line-up until Wednesday, he has told Sheehan to get set for his first appearance of the Wallabies' six-match spring tour.
    Save for uncapped lock Peter Kimlin, who is expected to win a place on the bench, Sheehan is the only player in the 34-man squad not to have seen any action on tour.

"It's been a long, hard tour,'' Sheehan said.

"But to get an opportunity to start for Australia, I'm very proud and happy to be doing that and I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait to get out there.

"It will be special playing at Wembley, too. I hear it's a great stadium, so really looking forward to that.

"But, to be honest, I'm just really looking forward to playing some footy. It's been a fair lay-off for me.''

Sheehan hasn't played since Warringah's semi-final against Randwick in Sydney club rugby almost three months ago.

As third-string half-back behind NSW Waratahs teammate Luke Burgess and Queensland's Sam Cordingley, Sheehan has hardly even had a chance to hone his passing game on tour.

"I've been training at inside centre most of the time,'' he said.

The 29-year-old said it was important he remained upbeat even when continually being overlooked for selection in Europe.

"If you think about it too much and get down about it, it's going to be torture on you,'' he said.

"It's hard (missing out) because it's what you train for and it's been a long, hard two months of training getting ready and prepared to play.

"But I go into every week hoping that I'm going to be selected and you never know what make-up the team's going to be.''

Sheehan may well come go head-to-head with former Wallabies captain George Gregan, who has been named on the bench for the all-star Barbarians.

But the combative No.9 insisted the world's most-capped player wouldn't be a target for any special attention.

"No, no. Not at all,'' Sheehan said.

"Greges will be treated with the same respect as every other player. He's still a great player, so there'll be none of that.

"We'll just be going into the game thinking about our own game and playing how we want to play.''

With Matt Giteau (ankle, shoulder) and Stirling Mortlock (concussion) to miss the game through injury, Sheehan also offered to take on the goal-kicking responsibilities.

Deans, though, quickly rejected the offer.

"I want Sheeno to concentrate on his game,'' Deans said. "He'll be gutted.''

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Prospect
    vCash
    he doesn't deserve it imo

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!