Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Giteau to weigh up $10m French offer

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau to weigh up $10m French offer

Giteau to weigh up $10m French offer

• November 30, 2008 - 11:36AM

Wallabies superstar Matt Giteau says he will spend the next fortnight deciding whether or not to seek a release from his Australian Rugby Union contract after receiving a staggering $10 million offer to play in France.

Giteau on Saturday broke his months-long silence over his future playing intentions to confirm Bayonne's billionaire owner Alain Afflelou had tabled the offer during a meeting in Paris last week.

An upfront Giteau revealed the megabucks deal would be worth between "9.6 to 9.8" million dollars over four years and said he would be only human to consider it.

"I think whenever anyone's presented with that type of offer, you'd sit down and consider your options," he said after Australia's 21-18 loss to Wales in Cardiff.

"I haven't thought about the deal. Because we've been playing Tests, I haven't really thought about it seriously.

"I think over the next week, two weeks, I'll sit down and seriously think about it."

Giteau is aware that ARU boss John O'Neill has already ruled out granting the 26-year-old a short-term release from his contract - which expires after the 2011 World Cup - to take a sabbatical and play in Europe.

"That makes it tougher," he said.

The ARU said on Saturday flanker Rocky Elsom's release earlier this year on compassionate grounds to join Irish side Leinster did not constitute a sabbatical.

Giteau's dilemma now is whether to turn his back on his country in favour of the cash.

"You can't really put a price on a Wallaby jumper," said the five-eighth maestro.

"I've still got that burning desire to play for the Wallabies, and always will have that desire, I think.

"Whether it's your first game or tonight was my 65th, I think, so I still feel as proud as the first game... in the last."

Giteau is reportedly $1.6 million out of pocket after losing out on third-party sponsorship payments from Firepower, a situation that has also placed his Super 14 contract with the Western Force - where he is committed until the end of next season - in doubt.

He is keen on a return home to Canberra to play for the Brumbies and, with the 2009 season just three months away, Giteau said it was important he settled his playing future as soon as possible.

Amid such uncertainty, Giteau has shown incredible strength of mind to maintain his brilliant form on the Wallabies' spring tour and he was again one of Australia's best in the loss to Wales at Millennium Stadium.

"This season, there have been a lot of things that have gone on - especially at the Force and with Firepower and the like - and football has been a great way for me to just get away from it," he said.

"So any time that I feel like I am getting, I suppose, ambushed a bit with those problems, I just think about the rugby.

"Especially being a caller, the position I am (playing), I need to know the game plan so I am continually studying it and that keeps my mind obviously away from those things."

But while he confessed to meeting the owner of Bayonne, the club which lured former NRL star Craig Gower last year, Giteau denied having an interview last week with French newspaper Midi Olympique.

He said quotes attributed to him in the newspaper claiming he would discuss with the ARU the prospect of being released to play in France were completely manufactured.

© 2008 AAP

http://news.smh.com.au:80/sport/gite...1130-6nkd.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i hope he stays in australia

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    About time someone actually asked him.

vCash
    isn't it according to John O'Neill that if you move overseas, you can't wear the wallabies jersey again? so if Gits seeks early release, he can't play in green and gold again!?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    yeh pretty much

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    thats according to John. not the IRB.
    John isnt the only person at the ARU. and could you really see anyone not letting him play again if he was to leave australia for a year or two, and then come back? who would deny a player of his ability a posistion? when he has the ability to change a game.

vCash
    The ARUs’ stand is, a player must have played in the previous S14 season with an Australian province... Sam Cordingley is an example. So Gits could return after a short northern sabbatical but would likely miss one international season.

If he went for four years he would likely not get back to the Wallabies as easy, as a new generation of player will be entrenched. I don't think Giteau's betraying anyone...

Nevertheless Giteau wants to play for the Wallabies at the next world cup. If he can get 10 million now that price will they offer him then? I think he will get about half that he in Australia anyway... I’m sure he is mindful of fast offers from outsiders after his negative firepower learning’s.

You would have to say he would go north one day. The life experience and profitability is to rewarding. Lets hope for the Wallabies sake his third party Force, firepower and ARU has not put him off Australian rugby all together.

The ARU will not want to lose him now, as Giteau’s is our becoming our marque player. I expect Giteau and his agent will use this French interest it to get what he wants when he meets to discuss his future playing arrangements in Australia for 2009 – 2011, yes even though he is contracted to the Force for 2009, it appears he wants a change…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper
    even though he is contracted to the Force for 2009, it appears he wants a change…
    It doesn't appear that HE wants a change, thats what the media is implying. At no stage has HE said anything of yet.

If he goes thats up to him, but I can't see him leaving his team, his country or his mates in the lurch, before his 2009 contract is up. After 2009 at the Force and 09-11 for Australia he will go where ever, presumably north, but I'd like to think he's not just in it for the money and he would honour his contracts...despite the fantastic opportunity that has been presented to the 25 year old bloke, who in any other circumstance would almost definately take.

vCash
    I think that because his contract hasn't been honoured in full he wants the change or recompense...and the Force have not offer either…Giteau doesn’t owe the Force or his team-mates anything. He has already delivered in multiples. Half the team has signed because Gits is there. They can get on with the job with John Mitchell who seems to look after his own interests first….As he is on the board of the new force third party sponsor ET mining...

We will see in a few weeks, if differ from many of you on Gits position as you all well know...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mudd...Has anyone ever call you "showbags"?

Cus man you are so full of shit.

He is already contracted to ARU for 2010/11.

vCash
    Sorry, muddy, I neither understood your post nor the point you were trying to make. Is it just that I haven't had my second coffee?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    I would have expected him to play out to 2011 since that is the contract he has with the ARU. These quotes have me wondering though, which is pretty bad given teh ARU contract was only done this year from memory. If he wanted to shop himself around to see what price he could attract in Europe he and/or his manager should have been doing that earlier this year rather than "committing" to Australian Rugby through to 2011.
    If the ARU holds it's line it's going to be hard to argue a 'compassionate release' as it was for Elsom, since the only compassionate consideration seems to be be able to earn $10 million fairly quickly.
    What a shame the paltry $1.6 million people here put together couldn't cut it. Or was that offer a figment of my imagination, since Mud contends nothing has been done to recompense for a private deal that went bad.

vCash
    Swee… the deal offered asserted he stays with the Force until 2011 and only then he would be reconciled for part of his loss. It clearly wasn’t what he wants after 2009.

Further more, I know he's contracted and won't be released by the ARU...I'm just talking about the broader negotiations...clearly you guys don't negotiate business deals for a living. It will be have some leverage only…the ARU still needs to sell rugby to the Aussie public and its easier with a star longer term…

I'm sure he really is just flattered by the offer French...

Showbags that's a nice sledge, gerry…but you have nothing constructive to say…just insults sounds like you can’t justify your position…

Perhaps Gits just wants to sell his house before he looses any more money in the west...

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    "You can't really put a price on a Wallaby jumper," said the five-eighth maestro.
    Looks like we're going to find out about that.
    If he takes the offer, we have a price.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    clearly you guys don't negotiate business deals for a living
    Do you?

Your passing your speculation off as fact
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast