Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deans to give Tuqiri a final fling

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Deans to give Tuqiri a final fling

Deans to give Tuqiri a final fling

Greg Growden in Cardiff | November 30, 2008

LOTE TUQIRI'S quiet European tour is about to pick up, with the Test winger scheduled to return to the Wallabies' starting line-up for their final match against the Barbarians at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday night.

Tuqiri had a knee operation before the tour and Wallabies coach Robbie Deans was determined not to play him until he was convinced he was 100 per cent fit.

Tuqiri took part in most of the training sessions on tour but Deans wanted to make sure he did not ruin his star winger's progress by bringing him back too early. It was only in the week of the France Test that he believed Tuqiri was ready to play, so at the last minute he was put on the bench for the Paris match after centre Ryan Cross's late withdrawal.

Tuqiri was also on the bench for the Wales Test held overnight, and Deans is expected to include him in the starting line-up for the tour finale against a Barbarians side that is World XV strength.

Tuqiri yesterday said he hoped Deans would give him the nod.

"It's been a while since I've played, and I'm hoping to get a run next week, because I just want to get my hands on the footy again," he said.

Tuqiri is not despondent at what has happened.

"What has happened on this tour with me has actually been pretty good," he said. "I haven't had a rest like this for a while. Initially I thought I wanted to get back straight away. But in the end, not playing until the end of the tour has been a blessing in disguise.

"Had the tour not gone well, it may have been a bit more depressing. But the boys have been playing really well, especially the wingers."

Tuqiri's most recent appearance was against the All Blacks in Brisbane in mid September, when he admitted he was "playing on one-and-a-half legs".

"But now the knee feels good and it's all going well heading into next season with the Waratahs," he said.

Tuqiri said the influx of new players into the Wallabies squad had improved morale and made touring more enjoyable.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...491892688.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Excuse me while I go scream continuosly in anger, disgust and pure utter nausia.

When I read the title I thought it meant his final game. YAY!

Dear God I was SMILING as I opened this thread...

A blessing in disguise indeed! For all of aussie rugby.. how many tries would have been scored by wingers if it had been the turkey out there rather than my Drew/Digby(not that Digby scored a try yet, but tonight might be the night)!

I HATE LOTE TUQIRI!!

At least this time he came up through the bench. Robbie does at least have SOME respect for the rest of his team. But to bring him back at all is a disgrace. ANGRY!!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Tuqiri is good against lessor nations. Therefore would have been good for a couple against Wales
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    wonder if pieman can give us the score, since he has already written the article before the game is played.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I reckon that they're only playing Lote so they don't get slated for taking an overpaid tourist on tour.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    or maybe trying him out ready for the barbarians game

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Maybe there is a secret message, and everyone is supposed to read the title wrong and think Lote is playing the final game of the tour, but it's really the final game of his LIFE because he is going to retire from test rugby to save rugby in Australia, and do something nice for the rest of the world, and stop talking rubbish and shut grumbles up and just make my life a whole lot happier?

It's possible...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

vCash
    As performances go, last night Tuquiri wasn't too bad...I am f*cking sick and tired of Drew kicking the ball away when with minutes to go he finally ran the ball back and split them open, leading to Digbys belated try...If he had of had a go earlier things may have been different...We lost because we kicked our opportunities away, and the Welsh kept possesion as much as possible...And the ref was a dick as well, but that is not the reason...Was digby wearing boxing gloves again, as he shows he is susceptible under the high ball and the simple act of C-A-T-C-H-I-N-G the bloody ball....

ps....Our scrum was shit!!!!!!!!!!

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    totally agree FT, what lote was required to do he did well......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow View Post
    As performances go, last night Tuquiri wasn't too bad...I am f*cking sick and tired of Drew kicking the ball away when with minutes to go he finally ran the ball back and split them open, leading to Digbys belated try...If he had of had a go earlier things may have been different...We lost because we kicked our opportunities away, and the Welsh kept possesion as much as possible...And the ref was a dick as well, but that is not the reason...Was digby wearing boxing gloves again, as he shows he is susceptible under the high ball and the simple act of C-A-T-C-H-I-N-G the bloody ball....

ps....Our scrum was shit!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree on the topic of kick and chase, but if you look at the replay Drew was kicking and chasing during the second half and then during the 2nd he came out from half time and nothing happened. I'm assuming Robbie had a word with him in the changerooms or something. Lote was... Alright. I still hate him. I still think there could be better people out there. The first muck up that lead to the early Wales try was a lack of communication between our back three and I think that's why Dean's has been trying to keep the back three consistent this year- because they communicated well together, even though AAC was not quite up to standard. But Drew's break at the end was fantastic!

I agree with Digby and the scrum though. Pure, utter RUBBISH!

vCash
    ACC is doing a competent good job; the Wallabies need him on the field. We needed him last night especially once Mortlock left the field... Our mid field was easily split. Unfortunately Mitchell was average at best last night...he plays best off the wing at this time. If he wants to be fullback he needs to win the Force fullback spot and get more game time…

vCash
    Coops back was still buggered from last week.
    I don't think Fullback is Mitchell's prefered spot but its where he got stuck, with Cooper injured. A re-shuffle was probably needed when Stirlo went off but limited options with who had trained where and what positions they're competent/comfortable at.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I agree on the topic of kick and chase, but if you look at the replay Drew was kicking and chasing during the second half and then during the 2nd he came out from half time and nothing happened. I'm assuming Robbie had a word with him in the changerooms or something. Lote was... Alright. I still hate him. I still think there could be better people out there. The first muck up that lead to the early Wales try was a lack of communication between our back three and I think that's why Dean's has been trying to keep the back three consistent this year- because they communicated well together, even though AAC was not quite up to standard. But Drew's break at the end was fantastic!

I agree with Digby and the scrum though. Pure, utter RUBBISH!
    your kidding, Tuqiri played fantastic last night for the lack of game time and the injury issue, cant really call Digby rubbish when Drew dropped the ball in the first minute..

Everyone was cursing AAC last week for playing the same game style that Drew played last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    But Drew's break at the end was fantastic!
    Shame he had been kicking the ball away for 78 minutes

vCash
    the quicker shep is returned to full back the better............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast