Defending champions New Zealand proceeded unbeaten on day one after capping an impressive start with a ruthless 33-7 victory over Australia.

Zar Lawrence opened the scoring and a further Tom Mikkelson try made it 14-0 at the break. Luke Morahan pulled one back soon after the restart but tries by Mikkelson, Cama and Nafi Tuitavake put the match beyond doubt.

Earlier New Zealand dominated the forward exchanges in respective 28-7 and 43-7 victories against Wales and Zimbabwe as Gordon Tietjens took the chance to give a first ever taste of the action to 18-year-old Julian Savea, Tim Nanai-Williams, Paul Grant and Kurt Baker. Seasoned pros Tomasi Cama, Zar Lawrence, Solomon King and Raikabula also starred.

Michael O'Connor's newlook Australia had got off to a winning start, first coming from behind to win 21-12 against the Zimbabweans, and then jinxing their way to a thrilling 22-17 win against the Welsh.

Wales must make do with a place in the Bowl quarter finals on day two, with the consolation that victory against the Zimbabweans has secured them a favourable draw in the last eight.

Michael O'Connor, Coach, Australia
Summing up Australia's opening day at the Dubai Sevens and losing to New Zealand in the crunch Pool A match

"That (the New Zealand match) was a real wake-up call that's for sure and New Zealand are the best side, there is no doubt about it. I thought that they outmuscled us, outplayed us and were extremely strong at the breakdown, which is an area of our game that we are trying to improve but we were absolutely dominated, there is no doubt about that. Our blokes are a bit shell-shocked.

"It is a new side and its our first tournament together and I think that they will get better. They are showing a lot of heart and I have been very happy with their defence. There is room for improvement and I am looking forward to the challenge."

On the prospect of playing South Africa in the Cup quarter-finals

"They are a very good side, very well organised and I think that Paul Treu has done a great job with them in giving them structure and I guess that they are one of the fittest sides at the tournament. They are going to be hard to beat and it is going to be a big challenge for us tomorrow."

Read more...