Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Waugh returns to Wallabies starting line-up for Wales Test

vCash

Waugh returns to Wallabies starting line-up for Wales Test

RAHH wallabies for the welshwishwash game

(please noone edit the order. Drew's at the top this time!!!)

The return to the starting XV of flanker Phil Waugh is one of the key changes in the Qantas Wallabies side that has been named today for Saturday’s James Bevan Trophy Rugby Union Test match against Wales at Cardiff.

Waugh, who returns to the Millennium Stadium where he led Australia during its 29-29 draw with Wales in 2006, is one of five alterations to the starting combination from that which edged out France 18-13 in Paris last Saturday night.

Ryan Cross is also back, after being a late withdrawal last weekend due to illness; taking the place of the man who stood in for him in the centres at the Stade de France, Adam Ashley-Cooper.

Ashley-Cooper has been bracketed on the bench, with a decision on his involvement to be made later in the week. No 8 Wycliff Palu has been allowed to miss the game after he suffered a shoulder injury in Paris.

The addition of Cross is the only change to the backline which started last weekend, with Drew Mitchell remaining at fullback after his first Test of the year in that position. EDIT- FIBS!! It's his second!!

Waugh, who starts for the fifth time in 2008 while featuring in his 11th Test of the year, is joined by Western Force No 8 Richard Brown, Brumbies lock Mark Chisholm and Waratahs loosehead prop Benn Robinson among the changes to the starting forward pack.

Further changes on the bench see Adam Freier return from a calf injury, appearing for the first time on the Spring Tour, in place of Tatafu Polota-Nau. Prop Matt Dunning and utility forward Dean Mumm have also been named alongside George Smith.

Winger Lote Tuqiri is also included among the run on reserves, albeit bracketed with Ashley-Cooper, after he was a late call-up to fill that role against France due to the match-day reshuffle caused by the unexpected withdrawal of Cross.

Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says the changes reflect both a desire to introduce some fresh legs and impetus at the back end of the Spring Tour, while also providing opportunities for other members of the group.

It should not, he said, be interpreted as a sign of the Wallabies under-estimating Wales, who are the playing through Six Nations champions.

“It’s because of our respect for them that we have looked to inject some freshness into our group,” Deans says.

“It’s been a demanding four weeks, with four very hard Test matches back-to-back. To expect the same guys to carry the load right through is unrealistic, and could easily have compromised us.

"The players we have introduced today have been offering a lot to the group both on the field, when they’ve had their opportunity, but also in training and off the field. They’ll bring the impetus we are going to need.”

Although Wales has been defeated by both South Africa (15-20) and New Zealand (9-29) in recent weeks, Deans doesn’t believe Australia’s Tri-Nations rivals have done his side any favours.

Far from denting confidence, Deans believes there is a lot the Welsh will have brought forward from those matches.

Wales led the All Blacks 9-3 just before halftime last weekend, and Deans says the second half reverse will have only strengthened their resolve to throw everything at their last opportunity in the November Test window.

“They know they’re getting close [to beating one of the Southern Hemisphere teams]. As a result, they’ll be looking to bring forward the confidence they have gained out of those two previous performances, and will see us as an opportunity to complete the package.”

The Wallabies arrived in Cardiff on Sunday, having added France (18-13) to the earlier tour wins attained against Italy (30-20) and England (28-14).

While the tour results in London and Paris especially were historically significant, with last Saturday representing Australia’s first win on French soil in eight years, Deans is adamant that his side won’t be easing up in its efforts.

“This weekend is another Test match, and they are precious opportunities not to be taken for granted,” he says.

“We’ve worked hard on our consistency during this trip. Saturday is another chance to reinforce that habit.”

The match is the Wallabies’ 14th and final Test of the year. Australia is bidding for its 10th win.

The Spring tour then concludes with a specially arranged midweek game against the Barbarians club at London’s Wembley Stadium on the evening of Wednesday 3 December.

That match commemorates the Olympic Gold Medal won by the Wallabies at the 1908 London Games.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play Wales at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on Saturday 29 November (2.30pm kick off, local, 1.30am, 30 November, AEST), is:

15. Drew Mitchell (Western Force)

1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)
    2. Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds)
    3. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
    4. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
    6. Hugh McMeniman (Queensland Reds)
    7. Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs)
    8. Richard Brown (Western Force)

9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
    10. Matt Giteau (Western Force)
    11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
    12. Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies) captain
    13. Ryan Cross (Western Force)
    14. Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds)

Run on reserves:

16. Adam Freier (NSW Waratahs)
    17. Matt Dunning (NSW Waratahs)
    18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
    19. George Smith (Brumbies)
    20. Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds)
    21. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
    22. Lote Tuqiri (NSW Waratahs) or Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallabi.../section/21893

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 25-11-08 at 19:05.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    George Smith got dropped to the bench atleast we will have a great interchange when he comes on.
    Lote's only hope is if Coops back still hurts.

Rest of the team looks good though, should shape up to be a fantastic game

vCash
    I'm estatic that Brownie is back. ESTATIC!!

Did I miss something with Digby last game? I personally was not really wow-ed by his performance and here he is again throwing of LOTE for God's sake. Drew couldn't do that... what did Diggers do that was so amazing? I didn't see it.

Drew was suprisingly good at FB last week (Sorry. I was expecting a lot worse) and I'm glad Robbie recognised it

Alexander should be on the bench. Not donut boy

And Waugh ahead of Smith??? Hm. Interesting move... I expected a change in loosies, we have been kept very at bay reccently and I wonder what Waugh can do... Or Robbie's just giving him a run

Last edited by robyn <3; 25-11-08 at 18:52. Reason: Added more stuff

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    5 men = WIN!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    5 men = WIN!!
    and

4 Tahs
    4 Reds
    2 Brumbies

EXCELLENT!

Badger, if you're supporting Wales this week, I'll send you up some tissues. WA shall smush Wales utterly.... The funny thing is now that you can't tell me the wallabies will loose 'coz that means you're saying the force aren't good

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    OK so someone explain this to me.

Pocock is on the bench last week. And it wasn't like Waugh needed a rest. So essentially it was saying at this point we like Pocock over Waugh. But Pocock didn't get any game time, so it's not like he did anything for Waugh to overtake him. And now Waugh gets to start a game and Pocock is dropped all together.

Kind of says to me that Pocock was on the bench last week just for the hell of it. They had no intention of using him unless it was a blowout. But because he was brought on tour they have to put him on the bench a couple times or it looks like a waste.

vCash
    Aussie Rob is saving Bam Bam for smashing McCaw in the Baa Baas match.

vCash
    what the hell is the James Bevan trophy? Who the hell is James Bevan? I know Michael Bevan...............
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    read your rugby history Jargs.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I still consider it a waste until the player makes the field gustafsl.
    Waste of money, liniment, washing powder and jersey, but mainly a wasted opportunity and toying with an eager young man's self confidence.
    If he doesn't get a start against the Baa Baa's he would have been better off staying home and getting a proper preseason in.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    read your rugby history Jargs.
    well wikipedia states it like this:

The James Bevan Trophy is a rugby union trophy which was created in 2007, and named after James Bevan, the Welsh Australian who was the first ever captain of the Wales rugby union team. The trophy was established after a decision on 10 May 2007 by the Welsh and Australian rugby unions to celebrate the 100 years of Test rugby between the two sides. Australia are the current holders

and the ARU website:

The James Bevan Trophy was established in 2007, to commemorate the 100th year of Test Rugby between Australia and Wales. The trophy is named after James Bevan, an Australian born Welshman who was the first ever captain of the Welsh Rugby team. It is to be played each time the two sides met.

if you go by the ARU version it is clear that Wales can't even come up with their first ever captain on their own

vCash
    Wales suffer injury blow before Wallabies clash

Wales lock Ian Evans has been ruled out for the rest of the season with the knee injury he sustained during last weekend’s loss to New Zealand, the Welsh Rugby Union announced on Monday.

The Ospreys second-row had to leave the field during the 29-9 defeat by Tri-Nations champions New Zealand at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday and spent the weekend in hospital.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=109904

PS- I love the editing on my first post it looks even better now!

vCash
    I'm surprised Dave has been left out of the 22. As well as Wycliff Palu. I would have thought Dave would be ahead of Waugh in the 7 jersey, but behind Smith. And is Palu injured? because I would have thought Rob would have Palu in the 22. Maybe move Brown into 6 and Palu into 8 in the second half. That combination would have worked out well.

I personally thought Digby Ioane had a great game last week. He made some damaging runs and looked confident and damaging with the ball in hand. And his pace was outstanding, with his chases of the high bombs putting immense pressure on the opposition.

In any case, I have to say I'm a little disappointed in this tour. Don't get me wrong, I love how Rob has been steering the team to much needed wins. But I was expecting to see the young ones unleashed. Would really have loved to see more of Pocock, Cooper, Kepu, O'Connor and Sheehan. After all, these are the next generation wallabies. I haven't seen much of Pocock or O'Connor after the NZ and Italy games, though Cooper has been fortunate to get some good game time. And would have loved to even see Sheehan named. Burgess has been off form a little, and I would have thought it might have been a good opportunity to give Sheehan a go.

Anyway, i hope its gonna be a good game. Would love to see more expansive running rugby, than the boring rugby we saw against France and England. I hope whoever is refereeing this match will manage it a little better than Joubert last weekend. Because I certainly didn't enjoy watching it. It's games like those where you just want to go up to the referee and say to him, " Mate, did you enjoy the game? ....Because no one else did!"

vCash
    isnt the ref the same twat that ruined Bledisloe 4?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 26-11-08 at 07:10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    isnt the ref the same twat from Bledisloe 4?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    *bites lip worriedly*

I hope not!! He was an IDIOT.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast