Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force coach John Mitchell declares: 'I want Wallabies'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force coach John Mitchell declares: 'I want Wallabies'

Force coach John Mitchell declares: 'I want Wallabies'
    By Nick Taylor
    November 22, 2008 06:30pm

BREAKING NEWS: WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell dreams of coaching the Wallabies. And he's become an Australian citizen to do it.
    The desire and decision may shock many across the Tasman, although New Zealand rugby politics being what they are, some will probably be quite happy to wish him farewell.

Talking frankly about his future and life after the Force, Mitchell said: "The citizenship forms are signed and on my desk ready for posting. To have the dream to coach the Wallabies one day and to earn that right, it's important to be a citizen.

"By the time that opportunity might present itself, I'll have fully understood the background of what makes an Australian tick."

It is one of the reasons he recently walked the Kokoda Trail.

rest of the article here............

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm glad he is becoming a citizen. It's a truly lovely experiance (so I remember... a bit vague however. I was rather young.)

Hum. This could prove... interesting. Robbie is moulding his team for '11 and JM is... causing a rift a bit here. I strikes me as strange that he wants everyone to know this.

I dislike the term 'After the force'. We are not one-friggin-night-stands. Sounds like he doesn't really want to stick around any longer than he needs to, and he would rather push off and coach the wallabies. I know that it's a professional game and everything, and there isn't really much 'commitment' to a team, but it sounds as if he can't wait to leave! Just the impression I get.

Would coaching the wallabies pay MUCH better than coaching the force? Just curious, I've never thought much about coaches pay before...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    "there is no greater feeling than watching a third of your team become wallabies"

what a fantastic story - that line is buried deep in the story - Jeez we are lucky hope we can capitalise on it all next year.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Wow

He doesn't mess about, does he.

... and obviously Perth hasn't treated him too badly

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Well done John, this is fantastic news.

Robyn, while I hear what you are saying, it is more important that we have a coach who wants to strive for higher things in life.

The Force will be the means to achieve his long term goal so we can look forward to some good years ahead, and I am sure if he does get the job one day he will include a number of "his" Force boys in the mix.

Also remember that Deans has made no secret of the fact that he still wants to coach the All Blacks one day.

So as we stand this morning all things are good, the wallabies are winning, JM beleives the Force are going places as it will help him get a higher goal, so lets bring on 2009

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I dislike the term 'After the force'. We are not one-friggin-night-stands. Sounds like he doesn't really want to stick around any longer than he needs to, and he would rather push off and coach the wallabies. I know that it's a professional game and everything, and there isn't really much 'commitment' to a team, but it sounds as if he can't wait to leave! Just the impression I get.
    Funny that. I actually like it. By the time his contract finishes up in 2011 he'll have coached the Force for 6 years. That is a very long time for a coach by any standards. If he didn't want to stick around any longer than he needed to he could've taken the Ireland job post O'Sullivan that was on offer. No he's stayed because he wants to stay and he clearly appreciates that you can't coach the same team forever. You run out of ideas and you probably become a little bit complacent.

I'd say we've been incredibly lucky to find a coach, particularly one with Mitch's experience, who would commit to a team for so long. Had he left after year 3 as many do- who would we have replaced him with? What would that have done to our playing roster?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I dislike the term 'After the force'. We are not one-friggin-night-stands. Sounds like he doesn't really want to stick around any longer than he needs to, and he would rather push off and coach the wallabies. I know that it's a professional game and everything, and there isn't really much 'commitment' to a team, but it sounds as if he can't wait to leave!
    Every Coach or player has to have one eye on their next job, and when his current contract expires in 2011 he will have been at the Force for 7 years.

I would hardly see that as a lack of commitment
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'd say we've been incredibly lucky to find a coach, particularly one with Mitch's experience, who would commit to a team for so long. Had he left after year 3 as many do- who would we have replaced him with? What would that have done to our playing roster?
    Could not agree more, James.

Mitch has taken a couple of Wallabies and a string of fringe players that could not find a super 14 place and built a team that has been very competitive.

I really liked his comment in the article " The Force offers Mitchell many challenges - and it brings rewards.

"It's a unique set of challenges and it's given me different skill sets," he said. "There's no greater feeling than seeing your own Western Force boys play for Australia, to see a third of your boys playing in a Test team.

"It was very rewarding to go down and shake David Pocock's hand after the Hong Kong Test."

This was what the creation of the Force was all about.

What is dissapointing is that when a great positive article about the Force comes out we only have a few people commenting, but as soon as there is one with "perceived" bad news, the typing fingers are out in full force, so all we are doing is showing the journalists that if they want reactions they need to "print bad news" articles rather than psitive stories.

vCash
    THE 10th COMMANDMENT-(coveting)
    Exodus 20:17 "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that [is] thy neighbour's."nor his mates coaching job"...

It will never happen...Mitchell is going north after the West. Why do you think the Force did a northern hemisphere tour? mmmmmmm John new contacts perhaps...Did he not sign with the Force until 2011?

vCash
    mudskipper in Sydney blokes are always coveting thy neighbours ass
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 23-11-08 at 15:28.

vCash
    yep...it happens and everything else...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Force had a northern tour because the tools in Sydney canned the ARC.

and TAzz....you spoke too soon mate..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Why do you think the Force did a northern hemisphere tour?
    Because out of their own selfish desires the Sydney clubs scrapped the ARC and they wanted to play someone worthwhile?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    The loss of the ARC or something to replace it sucks...for all developing players and rugby fans. I don't think JON will do anything; he just wants to grow the S14 and Wallabies engagements...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Mitch has taken a couple of Wallabies and a string of fringe players that could not find a super 14 place and built a team that has been very competitive.
    I concur.

All these articles criticising Mitch for his coaching style and his use of un-capped/un-experienced players, yet its been his insight (& that of his coaching staff) that got players like Pocock, Brown, Crossy and J'OC to join the Force and now they've all made it to the Wallabies. As well as Haylett-Petty, Daruda & Brock all into the Sevens team this year. Obviously I can't say whether they would have made it at any other club, not to mention credit to the players for their skill, but what a testament to Mitch to be able to have coached these players into National representatives.

I was reading Western Force - The Beginning the other day that implied Mitch 'daringly' left behind experienced players from an All Blacks tour in 2002 and instead took 'newcomers' Keven Mealamu, Carl Hayman, Tony Woodcock and Ali Williams...Look where they are now. He had an eye for talent then and he certainly does now. Says a lot for the players he chose to be a part of the Force.

I reckon he'll make a top coach and if he decides to call it quits after 2011 then that's his decsion but in the mean time what a fantastic asset he is and I do hope he makes it to the Wallabies job one day, he has definately worked for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast