Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slater now on rugby radar

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Slater now on rugby radar

Slater now on rugby radar

By Brent Read
    November 19, 2008 Just a day after being crowned the world's best player, Kangaroos full-back Billy Slater has become a target for rugby union clubs across Australia.

Queensland high-performance manager Ben Whitaker confirmed the Reds were keen to speak to Slater if the Storm custodian had a genuine interest in switching codes.

Slater has a Mark Gasnier-type clause in his contract which allows him to leave Melbourne at the end of next season should he receive a lucrative offer from English Super League or rugby.

Given his form for club and country over the past year, union officials have had their ears pricked by the existence of the clause.

"I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't," Whitaker said when asked if he would investigate Slater's interest in a switch of codes. "I think he's one of those players that any code would definitely explore or have a look at having on board."

News of union's interest is the last thing Melbourne need given their salary cap position. The club are fighting to retain captain Cameron Smith following a lucrative offer from the Gold Coast.

The Storm have put talks with all players on hold until Smith's future is finalised.
    The club have already indicated a desire to renegotiate Slater's deal, which he signed in 2007 when he was on the periphery of representative football.

Since then, he has produced one of the greatest seasons by a full-back in premiership history.

On Monday night, Slater was named international rugby league player of the year, beating a high-class field which also included Storm teammates Smith and Greg Inglis.

As a result of his performances for Melbourne, Queensland and Australia this year, Slater would rightly expect to become one of the highest earners in the game.
    "He would be fantastic," Whitaker said.

"But they have to have a genuine desire to play the game. You do know playing our game can result in great financial rewards.

"We would definitely want to gauge pretty early whether he has an interest in playing the game. If it's just about upping his salary, we don't need that."

Rugby union's interest in Slater could yet affect Kangaroos team-mate Karmichael Hunt. Less than four months ago it was revealed the ARU and the provincial Super 14 side had expressed an interest in the Brisbane full-back.

Hunt, who has a background in rugby and is off contract at the end of next year, recently indicated he would prefer to remain in rugby league.

While he has never publicly expressed an interest in rugby, and has spoken of his contentment in Melbourne, Slater's head could be turned should the ARU put in a significant sweetener.

"He's a great player and I love watching him," dual international Michael O'Connor said. "To say he's automatically going to be a great rugby union player - I wouldn't say that."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He's a strange character fo sure but his return of kick would certainly inject some flair into the Reds, they could do worse for sure.
    Would have prefered Karmichael though, I reckon he is one that would be awesome in Union, brings far more all round talent to the table than Slater.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Slater is awesome, if he can adapt to rugby there is no reason he can't be a fantastic asset.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    He's a strange character fo sure but his return of kick would certainly inject some flair into the Reds, they could do worse for sure.
    Would have prefered Karmichael though, I reckon he is one that would be awesome in Union, brings far more all round talent to the table than Slater.
    his brother i think. or someone of a relation played for queensland 1 in the 16s nationals this year

vCash
    Did I put a post on this thread that got deleted or did I imagine the whole thing?

vCash
    Slater's kick return is amazing. I reckon he might be a good investment for fullback if he can pick up union quickly. Definitely one of the best kick returns in both codes. No kicking game on him though

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    oh another convert - I'm sure that will inspire up and coming union youngsters who have put in years of effort!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Well he seems to be doing well in the Tahs development squad (the NRL)

vCash
    Bloody mungos!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Wasn't Hunt in some kind of sexual assault scandal? Don't want those types.

I wonder how the Reds are going to go next year. With Luke Braid more then covering the 7 void all they need is another good lock and a full back and they could put out a pretty incredible first XV.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Wasn't Hunt in some kind of sexual assault scandal? Don't want those types.

I wonder how the Reds are going to go next year. With Luke Braid more then covering the 7 void all they need is another good lock and a full back and they could put out a pretty incredible first XV.
    the Reds could put out a credible 1st XV, but the problem is depth, they are still very weak in a few positions, quite shellow depth at fullback, lock and backrow positions.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I wonder if he is still on the radar after his cockup last night.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    His hail mary pass was no worse than Burgos this morning - both ended up with the same result.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    centre of reticle possibly.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    U wouldn't think that would be enough to turn people off... but man, that was pretty spectacular, wasn't it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast