Thread: Telstra Dome re-named Etihad Stadium

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Telstra Dome re-named Etihad Stadium

Telstra Dome re-named Etihad Stadium

Scott Spits | October 23, 2008 - 12:55PM

Melbourne's Telstra Dome will be known as Etihad Stadium from March.

Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, is the official airline of the London-based Chelsea Football Club.

The airline's chief executive, James Hogan, said the sponsorship was a five-year deal.

"Australia is a hugely important and rapidly growing market for our airline, and this deal provides an excellent opportunity to continue building our global brand and long-lasting relationships with the travelling public, many of whom we know are huge sports fans."

The stadium's chief executive, Ian Collins, wouldn't disclose how much the sponsorship was worth, but described the deal as "significant''.

"The naming rights sponsorship is something that you don't often have to go to the market with,'' Mr Collins said.

Mr Hogan said the sponsorship of the Docklands venue, along with their association with Chelsea, the Ferrari Formula One team and the Harlequins Rugby Football Club, was "part of a strategy of being associated with sport''.

"As a Melburnian, I know better than no one the impact of footy,'' Mr Hogan said.

"The deal is for five years, with an option for a further five. The airline is here for the long road.

"We'll be promoting Melbourne, Melbourne sport, Melbourne as a destination through our network.''

Mr Collins predicted Etihad Stadium would eventually become part of the language for Melbourne sports fans.

"No doubt it will become part of the vernacular in Melbourne. I'm certain people will know about Etihad the Airlines, and Etihad the stadium and venue.''

He also said there would be flow-on benefits for tenants, such as AFL clubs.

"With Etihad coming to Melbourne, from a branding point of view I think the venue will present something that does give them recognition on the Melbourne skyline and right through everyday usage as it gets known,'' Mr Collins said.

"It (the benefits) will flow on through to the hirers and they'll get benefits out of it as well.

"We're in (to the deal) to make the stadium profitable but also to the hirers who work with us, that they have a good experience when they come here.''

The sponsorship takes effect from March 1, 2009, just weeks before the airline launches a daily, non-stop service between Melbourne and Abu Dhabi.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Re-name it "Jihad Stadium"

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    you took the words out of my mouth Jargs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was my original sentiment too, but on second thoughts, perhaps we shouldn't be too vocal regarding UAE investment in Australian sport...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    there is a couple of Australian businessmen that will never fly that airline again

vCash
    yeah right....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Was my original sentiment too, but on second thoughts, perhaps we shouldn't be too vocal regarding UAE investment in Australian sport...

Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates
    Established 2003. Yet to make a profit. Carried 4.6 million passengers last year.

Emirates. Established 1985. Wholly owned by the UAE government. In profit and delivered a divvy to the government every year since inception. Carried 21.2 million passengers last year.

- Wikipedia.

Which one do you want as a long term sponsor?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    the ones that donates the most money?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.